ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Pre Game Show

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Wowza.. the production isn't very good. The sound guy is overly to loud, especially when changing from screen to screen. And what's up with the femaile anchor. She's had all spring to figure out what to do with her hair. Especially the backside. It's a mess. Hoping the content is good to go though.

OK, I'm done with the rant.

Riley tells us that they need to establish an identity. Says he doesn't exactly know yet what they can do. He's going to attempt to find out the weaknesses in depth and exploit their strengths. He's happy to have a stable of RBs and he plans to take advantage of it.

*simple/basic plays
*less thinking
*more expolosive plays.

A couple of notes at half-time from an untrained eye........

The corners are actually challenging the wide outs at the line of scrimmage.

The whole defensive backfield looks so much better. The interceptions were through into double or triple coverage. I don't know if that's a good sign or if they just recognize the play and react.

Hodgson kicked a 47 yard field goal. He may not just give the field goal duties to Seibert.

New offensive line looking pretty good and would have looked better if Perine wouldn't have the blue on.

I like the tall receivers making some good catches and Westbrook had a couple of good moments.

I can't really comment on the Q-B play. The announcers rarely tell us who is in and I can't see the numbers. Cody Thomas has a beautiful spiral and he can sling it. Everybody but Hansen through an interception.

Well, on to the second half

Oh 22, you're a hoot...

Rascal...
smokin.r191677.gif

Everyone hates the spelling cops. I had a manager use that word in a report once and I've used it ever since. :) In all seriousness, thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm out and about today and am away from TV and radio. Can't wait to read what others think too.

This post was edited on 4/11 3:44 PM by Section22Sooner

That's why I like game threads. Most of us that participate realize someone is going to make a spelling\grammar mistake in the heat of the game. I actually LOL from your response and kind of expected it.

The only second half thoughts I have would be a major problem with the coaches clock management.

clown.r191677.gif

Watched the game on TV and from what I saw, the QBs looked decent but continued to throw into coverage, causing turnovers. The wideouts looked pretty good and there were some breakdowns in coverage, allowing some wide open receivers at times.

Brooks ran the ball very well, while Ross didn't look very good.

Originally posted by K2C Sooner:
TURN THE MUSIC DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to see that I am not alone in thinking this. Overall a poor presentation. Devorchek did well however.
How about doing without the music ? Too loud and it sucked.

Very disappointed in the announcing of the Spring game. Fans are without names on jerseys with lots of new players, and announcer did not announce names often....big mistake. Also lots of time focussed looking at press box, with no identification of who we were looking at.

Despite a couple INTs I think Mayfield looked the sharpest. Appears to have the quick trigger as well which is big in this offense.

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with the DB praise but probably because I know they know the script. We will see. They do have speed though and I think that because of that we can get better.

Based on what I saw:

Pros: Mark Andrews has real potential. Barring injury and assuming he continues to work and learn he has a chance to be All American before he leaves.
Dede Westbrook looked good and can really run.
Perine looks like a senior. What a season he is going to have.
We are once again solid at kicker.
O-Line is staying on blocks.

Cons: No defensive push up field, especially at 3 technique.
Take the defensive depth chart, put a coffee can on the paper right over where the Mike linebacker would start and draw a circle around the can. That is where we will be attacked. I was disappointed in how soft the middle was today.
QB play was mediocre across the board. Landry Jones was light years ahead of this group.
Offensively, honestly I did not see a lot of difference.

Side notes: DJ is tall and lean and has some quickness...I wonder if he can catch..He looks like an NFL big wideout. The whole team appears in better shape than last spring, and that is always a good sign.
A vanilla spring game and typical.

It's worrisome to see that the QBs are forcing throws into strong coverage. Not a good sign. Hopefully this can be corrected. But to me, a QB is either a gunslinger that thinks he can throw the ball anywhere, anytime or he's a QB that checks down and doesn't force something. It's not a physical/technical thing, it's between the ears.

Westbrook is going to be a beast along side Shepard.

I'm sorry, but the production quality for the pre-game show was terrible. Calling it amateurish would be an insult to high school TV production classes everywhere. It was just that bad. I know the Longhorn Network is funded by ESPN, but the OU Sooner Network is light years behind in terms of production quality. Embarrassing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT