ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game…How was it?

The freshmen DT's didn't make much of a dent in things. It appeared that the defense stayed very generic until the offense scored TD's on like the first six possessions. The best inside defender didn't play. He was in sweats on the sidelines. Dusty was the color man. Toby did the pbp. He talked to Dusty pregame and Dusty thought the defense would kick the offenses butt. He didn't use that language. But they were surprised that the O dominated early. So was I. There was lots of run game early. Effectively mostly.

The first drive the defense made most of the first four plays. Then on third and long, Then Dione Burks got behind the defense for a touchdown. I didn't see any stats, but wouldn't be surprised if Burks had 200 yards, most receiving, but a little on reverses. He was according to Dusty and Toby, he was the star of the game. Kind of agree with them.

They played the first offense against the second defense. And vice versa. Still the second offense moved the ball really well early. The score keeping was more than a little flawed. One of the rules was that when the defense jumped offsides, they were supposed to get minus two. Instead, they gave them two points. Didn't matter.

The offensive line looked surprisingly good in the first 20 minutes. True to form, the old Aggie Trace Ford, still jumped offsides twice. Once was on Burk's first touchdown. He was open deep most of the day. Part was a bust. Part was that he is fast. Twice when he was a little open deep, but still open, Arnold missed him. He showed off a little. I don't think BV will tolerate that in games. But he looked really good.

We were missing some running backs but several looked really solid. Sawchuck didn't carry much if at all. Jovantae didn't play. Hicks and Franklin looked pretty solid. The "game winning touchdown came in garbage time, scored by a sixth team walkon, against a similar defense. But he also scored because he juked Taylor Wein and scored.

The only linebacker I thought played well was Kobie McKenzie. I thought Adebawore looked better, but still nothing like a five star. There were way too many busts in the secondary, but I think we were missing a few back there. I know Woody Washington didn't play.

But I keep hearing about how great we are at safety. Kind of like THIS will be the season that we'll win with defense more than offense. I'll definitely believe that when I see it. Haven't seen it yet.

I'd give Jackson a B-. He missed a couple of deep throws, and way high on two or three slants. Now we're missing lots of receivers. He also led our new TE with the most the most promise, Bauer Sharps into a huge hit, because he didn't see the DB's. I thought Sharp might have been hurt. I keep hearing that Jayden youknowwhatImean Gibson is better. I'm still not sold on that.

Positive surprises were Burks and the OLine early. You don't know if that's because the OL is pretty good, and we're awfully inexperienced in the defensvie front.

The embarrassment of the day, was when Dusty thought he wasn't being heard, blaming Kanak for a touchdown against a blown coverage. It looked like a Tampa Two, where the MIKE linbebacker drops into the middle deep to take what's supposed to look like a two deep, but really is a three deep. I said the same thing, but it wasn't on the broadcast He said as an aside to Tody, when he thought they'd gone to commercial.
"""

The freshmen DT's didn't make much of a dent in things. It appeared that the defense stayed very generic until the offense scored TD's on like the first six possessions. The best inside defender didn't play. He was in sweats on the sidelines. Dusty was the color man. Toby did the pbp. He talked to Dusty pregame and Dusty thought the defense would kick the offenses butt. He didn't use that language. But they were surprised that the O dominated early. So was I. There was lots of run game early. Effectively mostly.

The first drive the defense made most of the first four plays. Then on third and long, Then Dione Burks got behind the defense for a touchdown. I didn't see any stats, but wouldn't be surprised if Burks had 200 yards, most receiving, but a little on reverses. He was according to Dusty and Toby, he was the star of the game. Kind of agree with them.

They played the first offense against the second defense. And vice versa. Still the second offense moved the ball really well early. The score keeping was more than a little flawed. One of the rules was that when the defense jumped offsides, they were supposed to get minus two. Instead, they gave them two points. Didn't matter.

The offensive line looked surprisingly good in the first 20 minutes. True to form, the old Aggie Trace Ford, still jumped offsides twice. Once was on Burk's first touchdown. He was open deep most of the day. Part was a bust. Part was that he is fast. Twice when he was a little open deep, but still open, Arnold missed him. He showed off a little. I don't think BV will tolerate that in games. But he looked really good.

We were missing some running backs but several looked really solid. Sawchuck didn't carry much if at all. Jovantae didn't play. Hicks and Franklin looked pretty solid. The "game winning touchdown came in garbage time, scored by a sixth team walkon, against a similar defense. But he also scored because he juked Taylor Wein and scored.

The only linebacker I thought played well was Kobie McKenzie. I thought Adebawore looked better, but still nothing like a five star. There were way too many busts in the secondary, but I think we were missing a few back there. I know Woody Washington didn't play.

But I keep hearing about how great we are at safety. Kind of like THIS will be the season that we'll win with defense more than offense. I'll definitely believe that when I see it. Haven't seen it yet.

I'd give Jackson a B-. He missed a couple of deep throws, and way high on two or three slants. Now we're missing lots of receivers. He also led our new TE with the most the most promise, Bauer Sharps into a huge hit, because he didn't see the DB's. I thought Sharp might have been hurt. I keep hearing that Jayden youknowwhatImean Gibson is better. I'm still not sold on that.

Positive surprises were Burks and the OLine early. You don't know if that's because the OL is pretty good, and we're awfully inexperienced in the defensvie front.

The embarrassment of the day, was when Dusty thought he wasn't being heard, blaming Kanak for a touchdown against a blown coverage. It looked like a Tampa Two, where the MIKE linbebacker drops into the middle deep to take what's supposed to look like a two deep, but really is a three deep. I said the same thing, but it wasn't on the broadcast He said as an aside to Tody, when he thought they'd gone to commercial.
"""
Awesome! Thank you man.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Michael Hawkins either holds the ball too long or had absolutely no protection. I couldn't tell which one. Typical spring game.....good crowd, enthusiasm was up, froze my butt off as the game went along. The only thing that really stood out was Burks making the D look silly

I think we had a shortage of receivers. Hawkins had the twos offense going against the ones. He was pretty solid on the first two drives. After that, my biggest complaint was that he seemed to throw the ball away in third down, instead of hanging in to make a play.

I think we had a shortage of receivers. Hawkins had the twos offense going against the ones. He was pretty solid on the first two drives. After that, my biggest complaint was that he seemed to throw the ball away in third down, instead of hanging in to make a play.
Yep. No Farooq, no Anderson, no Anthony, & no Thompson off the top of my head.

Yeah. And the best of the remaining played with Arnold. So you were reaching down in the depth chart for Hawkins' receiving group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT