ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner Report Card: Akron

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Guys, sorry that I am so late on this but thought I'd go ahead and put this together.

For those that don't know this is (usually) my immediate breakdown of Oklahoma's key players in the game - starters, and primary reserves. I rank each from 0-100 and then go back, average the team score and use a scale I, using far less than a scientific method, created.

OFFENSE:

QB: Baker Mayfield - 91 - Slow start but really came back strong, very decisive with the ball.
RB: Samaje Perine - 80 - Ranking isn't his fault, but his impact was fairly minimal with few lanes to run through.
WR: Jarvis Baxter - 87 - How are you not impressed with Baxter? Loved his downfield blocking.
WR: Sterling Shepard - 85 - Solid night, not spectacular but very, very steady.
WR: Durron Neal - 87 - One of his better games as a Sooner.
WR: Dede Westbrook - 83 - Didn't explode like I thought he might but got his feet under him.
LT: Orlando Brown - 75 - Wasn't a bad first start but Brown had some issues.
LG: Jonathan Alvarez - 73 - Alvarez got better as it wore on but was rocky in run blocking early.
C: Ty Darlington - 77 - Darlington was solid but too often (to my memory) got pushed around inside.
RG: Nila Kasitati - 73 - Another guy that looked overmatched physically a time or two.
RT: Dru Samia - 74 - Another guy, not bad for what it was, but far from a strong performance overall.

DEFENSE:

DE: Charles Tapper - 85 - Was solid but not a lot of big-time plays to my eyes.
DT: Matt Dimon - 88 - Really a nice game, not surprisingly Dimon's motor was running from beginning to end.
DT: Matt Romar - 86 - Didn't log much on the stat sheet but kept seeing him disrupt the interior of the OL.
DE/OLB: Eric Striker - 84 - Not his usual big play self, but like a lot of guys in the front seven, steady.
LB: Jordan Evans - 84 - Evans is perhaps the most consistent member of the Sooners defense.
LB: Dominique Alexander - 92 - Flat out his best game as a Sooner, looked very disruptive.
CB: Zack Sanchez - 85 - Had a few mental miscues that he didn't suffer too much for but will need to keep improving.
S: Hatari Byrd - 84 - Very physical but still showed me some things that made me worry about moving in space.
S: Ahmad Thomas - 86 - On the flip, I thought Thomas showed some promise, though we'll see what is real this weekend.
S: Steven Parker - 82 - Well positioned when I noticed him but reality is I didn't notice him much.
CB: P.J. Mbanasor - 84 - Thought he did well, was exactly the physical CB we all expected.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K/P: Austin Seibert - 93 - Talk about a monstrous debut...
KOS: Nick Hodgson - 91 - Just another day at the office for Hodgson.
PR: Sterling Shepard - 81 - Was pretty solid day other than bad fumble but that can overshadow.
KR: Durron Neal - 84 - Jut one return but it was strong.

KEY RESERVES:

RB: Joe Mixon - 89 - Obviously made some big plays and though it took him some time, he showed signs of being a star.
RT: Josiah St. John - 73 - Was a little surprised he didn't shine more than he did, think Samia may be here to stay.
WR/TE: Mark Andrews - 88 - I think Oklahoma just scratched the surface of what he can be
CB: Jordan Thomas - 88 - Loved what I saw of him, thought he looked really good.
DT: Charles Walker - 90 - If his motor can consistently run 'hot' he can be dominant.
LB: Frank Shannon - 83 - Good game from Shannon, nothing particularly noteworthy to my memory though.
QB: Trevor Knight - 75 - Like we've seen too often with Knight some good throws and then a bad error.
WR: Jeffery Mead - 83 - Mead really did look strong and is still finding his role as a real weapon.

AVG. Score: 83.6

Score Card:

100-90: Playoff Contender
89-80: Big 12 Title Contender
79-70: Bowl Game Contender
69-0: Plenty of Time off in December

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.