ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts

NealKenn

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2013
Ends up our offense isn't very good. Averaging a full 120+ yards less than Kyler Murray's led offense. While everyone will point to various schematic things, I think it goes back to the simple "Jimmy and Joes"....and development of those Jimmy and Joes. and it also appears that Eric Gray, Wanya Morris, and Congel aren't the saviors of the offense. Who could've predicted that our offense would struggle though?
I just hate this strategy. I get it, we're "transfer U", but we gotta get and develop HS kids. Since Riley/Simmons were hired, we've only sent 1 HS WR to the NFL. That was CD. Hollywood and Westbrook were JUCOs. Our WR development has been poo.

Since '15:
Westbrook - Boom, but a JUCO and not recruited by Simmons
Humphrey - Bust
Green - Bust
Miller - Bust
Jones - Push but darn close to a bust.
Farrar - Bust
Hardy - Bust
Lamb - Boom
Rambo - Push
Brown - Boom, but JUCO
Robinson - Bust
Crawford - Bust
Taylor - Bust
Wease - On pace for Push
Haselwood - TBD
Bridges - Bust
Mims - looks to be a Boom
West - Bust
Darby - on pace for Bust

19 WR signees
11 Busts - 58%
3 push - 16%
4 boom - 21%
1 that could really go bust or boom - 5%

Our HS WR recruiting/development has not been great. Ignore signing day and stars and look at the results. Ohio State and Bama are lapping us at WR. The past season was the worst WR play from OU in probably a decade. The prevailing thought that "OU will be fine at WR" is just baffling. Based on what? We've had a few guys hit BIG, 2 of which were JUCOs (and Simmons didn't even recruit Westbrook), but the rest were all blah. We just lost a DFW WR to possibly SMU, about to lose an instate WR to the freaking pokes. A decent amount of concern is merited, IMO.

Now I'll take a deep breathe, and get off the soap box.

It's not woe is me, I'm just pointing out some facts. OU has had a TON of misses on offensive recruiting since the '17 recruiting class. These things usually aren't immediately noticeable and we seem to be living off of that class still.

From '18-'20 classes, offensive recruits:
B. Walker - Bust
Pledger - Push
Moore - Bust
Simpson - Bust
Robinson - Bust
Crawford - Bust
Taylor - Bust
Mordecai - Bust
Willis - Push
Swaby - Bust
Wease - Push
Haselwood - TBD
Rattler - Boom
Bridges - Bust
Wilkins - Bust
Stogner - Push
Major - TBD but looks like a bust
ENO - Bust
Felix - Bust
Stevenson - Boom
Parks - TBD
Anderson - TBD
Nelson - TBD
McGowan - Bust
Raym - TBD
Conyers - Bust
Harrison - looks like he'll be a boom
Mims - Boom
West - Bust
Henderson - TBD
Darby - TBD but not looking great
Morris - Bust

32 recruits: Minus the 8 TBD That's 24 offensive signees.
16 Busts: 66% bust
4 Push: 17% Push
4 Boom: 17% Boom

That isn't good. And Of the 8 TBDs, it's pretty easy to see how more than half of those will be busts. I'm not saying Riley sucks or Simmons sucks but the idea that we're this offensive juggernaut who is just running a conveyor belt of offensive talent right now is just not true. We've been buoyed by QB play and an amazing 2017 recruiting class. The '21 class hopefully brings us back to the median, but you saw it last year, we have a talent problem on offense outside of Rattler. OL wasn't great, RBs were meh until Stevenson got back, and the WRs play was poor.

And all of that is ok if we're just wanting big12 championships. We can deal with 1/4 of our WRs hitting. But if we're wanting to actually beat Bama, Clemson, and ohio St in the playoffs, we need guys like Shettron, Stewart, Egbuka, Leigh, Foster, etc.

Plus I'm venting, it's rare so give me a break haha.

The highlighted part is exactly my point, the last 2 years have not been on the same level as the previous ones. Is that being spoiled by 2 #1 overall picks? Yep, but still, it was a dip. 2 years in a row says our overall offensive talent isn't what it was in the '17 and '18 seasons. To me that's a trend, and that's what I'm addressing. We have not been developing our classes very well since 2017 and it's showing, especially offensively.

Offense has definitely been our money maker, but it has taken a noticeable step back IMO. We may be bailed out by transfers (Grey, Morris, Murray, Woods, Bradford) and that very well may be the future, but we shouldn't be missing this much on HS recruiting.

That's all I'm venting about. This idea that "all is well, no worries we're losing a top 100 WR" just doesn't fit what I'm seeing.

At a certain point, you gotta start questioning Bedenbaugh on his OL.

'18 class:
Brey Walker - Bust
T. Moore - Bust
M. Thompson - bust (even though he arrived as a DL)
D. Swaby - Bust

'19 class:
S. Wilkins - bust
M. Alexander - Not on 3 deep
Ndoma-Ogar - Bust
F. Felix - Bust

'20 class:
A. Parks - Not in 3 deep
N. Anderson - Not in 3 deep
N. Nelson - Bust
A. Raym - Looks like a starter
A. Harrison - Battling it out for a starting spot

'21 class:
Byrd - 3rd string OT
C. Montgomery - TBD (whispers* will be a bust)

Now we're seriously having a conversation about passing on Kam Deberry?

It's currently looking like 2 out of the last 13 OL signees (before the '21 class) are anything but busts.

Now from a roster perspective it does make sense we take a few transfer OL, cause we can't seem to develop them here. But good lord this is getting out of hand.

The warning signs were there. The offensive coaches have absolutely struck out from the '18 class on. Are there some guys with some promise? Sure, Mims and Mario seem good at times. But the rest....are JAGs. Even the veterans (Swenson, Hayes, Robinson, Hall, Willis, etc.) are JAGs. We have a talent development problem on offense right now, and very few (not all) wanted to admit it during the offseason. We lost 3 4-5* WRs this offseason, and plenty of people (especially mods) acted as though "no big deal, you really gonna complain about the offense". Well....ends up concerns were merited. We've yet to even come close to getting a WR in the '22 class, and for the entire "well look at the '23 WRs!!!!" crowd, that doesn't do a darn bit of good for us in '22, where we will still be trotting out a roomfull of JAGs.

We have 0 playmaking at RB, WR, and the OL can't run block against unranked Tulane, WC, Nebraska, and WVU. And our QB.....has regressed. Missing wide open guys, not working past his first read, somehow getting slower.

Now about the crowd. I didn't like the student section chanting that they want Caleb. Don't get me wrong, I was saying it too. But I wasn't chanting it and I actually didn't hear it while at the game. In terms of the booing, it was deserved. I only heard loud booing in unison twice. Once on a second 3 and out in a row (booing Rattler). The second was when it was like 2nd and 18 and we throw a screen pass to Woods for minimal gain. That booing I participated in and it was directed at Riley.

Speaking of booing, is there anything worse than the virtue signaling fans on twitter who are condemning the booing, saying "they support _________ player, blah blah blah"? Inevitably those fans didn't spend their time and $ to actually attend the game. Fandom is transactional. You do good, I support you, buy your gear, cheer for you, attend your games and lose my voice at every single one of them. You suck (offensively) vs. Tulane, Western Carolina, Nebraska, and now West Virginia all in a row....yea you're probably gonna catch some boo birds....still gonna show up and cheer, but yea you may have to deal with some boos...oh the HORROR!!! You aren't my children, I don't love you unconditionally. It's transactional.

And for as bad as us boo birds were, guess what? We stayed the entire game. Loud as hell while the defense was on the field.

As far as the positives. Love the defense. DTY making plays, Whitter looking good coming out of the doghouse. Roberson doing work. Winfrey as a DT on pace for 12.5 sacks. A defensive tackle. That's nuts.

Also, yea I saw the remnance of a fight in the Southwest corner of the EZ. Wife pointed it out to me and by the time I saw, there was a 8 man dog pile near the visitor tunnel, by the cheer leaders. Security, dudes in suits, and male cheerleaders breaking up a fight that had apparently fell out of the gate by the SW corner, and into the boom stick rolling camera things. 30 something year old skinny dude got worked over by some in shape 50 year old dude. Police ended up taking another guy out too.

All in all, the gameday was very entertaining. Sucks watching the offense suck, but the D is fun to watch, and the crowd has been as loud the last 2 games as I can remember in a long time. Still need to do Boomer Sooner more than once a game though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.