ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts about the Baylor game and moving forward.... long

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
There were several changes in the approach to Baylor. One was Darlington on several levels. One is that he had this little head wiggle on the snaps. I believe the staff saw in film against them before that his body was tipping the snap somehow and Baylor was getting a pass rush jump on us. The head wiggle was distracting and took away their read. It worked pretty well. It came at different times. Sometimes just before the snap. Sometimes earlier. Sometimes immediately at the snap.

They also fixed one of my pet peeves. Almost 80% of the snaps, when he'd get lined up, this season, he'd be snapping the ball behind the computer driven line on the field. Often it was a foot behind it. This is giving away yardage. That didn't happen much at all in Waco. There were even several times when he moved the ball up a little. I hope it stays that way.

I also like the deliberate substitution on defense, when they changed personnel. You don't have to sprint guys onto the field. You get a chance to see who they took and and who they brought in and then get the right personnel out there. It's not your fault if they don't make their sub until there is 24 seconds left on the play clock. And it peeved Briles.

But not as much as Bob was, when they sneaked a receiver off the field and the stripes didn't let us get our matching personnel out there. Bob had veins sticking out on that one.

I know there has been talk about who should play corner if Sanchez is hurting. But I also think that Devante Bond didn't play up to the level he has earlier this season. And he's been dinged a little. I'd love to see the senior P.L Lindley get more snaps. He's been really good, especially against the run. He is not quite as good in coverage, but I loved how he played when in the game Saturday.

During Bob's presser, two scribes said they saw both Sanchez and Brown walking around the offices with a boot on. Bob poo-pooed it, but what injury does he not minimize? Brown has become a very good player and is going to likely be great.

There were times in the game, when in a passing situation that Oakman was on the edge and Darlington was uncovered. And Ty pulled to help Brown block Shawn. That is a really tough task for a center, but Ty did it well. And OUr line is a lot better when Jonathan Alvarez plays guard. He might be a future star.

I had not seen us run counter trey this season, but we did on the Perine 60-yard TD run. Two backside linemen pull across the formation in tandem to block in the hole at the point of attack. Samia got two guys on the play. There was a DL close to the hole unlikely to get there, but maybe. Samia put a hand on the top of his shoulder pad almost like a stiff arm to hold him just a little, and then turned up to get the last guy with a shot at Samaje. He didn't get a good lick the second guy, but didn't really have to do more than screen him. Samaje kind of took care of the rest.

Was I the only one who briefly saw the season about to go in the toilet when they Horse collared Mayfield?

Ahmad Thomas (the safety) took a poor angle on his pick to effectively end the game. Brilliant physical play, but the ball was underthrown. And I can't remember the receiver or db in man coverage, but the Baylor receiver had a step on him and Thomas was too shallow to help. Not sure if he'd have gotten there had the throw been deeper, but it looked likely not. If that had gone for a score, different ballgame.

I hope that playing against backup quarterbacks two weeks in a row doesn't mess with OUr SOS.

Number one thing I'd like to see fixed is the confidence and ball striking of OUr place kicker.

Loved the design of the zone read that Baker scored on. And I'm watching him let the clock run down and it's first down and we have only one TO and I'm thinking snap the damn thing. He had a LOT of confidence that it was going to be a score. Riley is doing some really interesting little things in back path adjustments and swapping block assignments in crucial situations, not unlike Barry did with a wishbone. Very similar tactics. Mixon's path as a blocker on the zone read touchdown was gorgeous to watch.

And I though I enjoyed Samaje's 60-yard TD run the most, I thought his run for OUr first touchdown was his best run of the night. Considering Kansas last season, I think we can say confidently that Samaja is really good when it's wet.

Last edited:
On Baker's TD run, where he let the clock run down, I had in my mind that, against all his natural instincts, Baker was going to run the play and if it was defensed, he would throw the ball out of the back of the end zone. I think he knew he would have two more downs to show his magic. He would have plenty of time left to score with the TO in his pocket. But not leave Baylor time to do much of anything if he did score on 1st down.

And I though I enjoyed Samaje's 60-yard TD run the most, I thought his run for OUr first touchdown was his best run of the night. Considering Kansas last season, I think we can say confidently that Samaja is really good when it's wet.

Check out the play BEFORE Samaje scored the first TD of the night - it was an 8 yard run by Mixon. Watch Perine's block on the play - he takes out 2 Baylor players. Awesomeness.

I just read some post on Baylor 247 forum. They have a thread about Darling shaking his head. They are really butt hurt. They think they got all the bad calls. It's mostly complaints about OU including the punk OU fans sitting near them. I think that will be over next week. Next week it will be we got screwed at Stillwater.

Maybe we should send ... never mind. I suspect they thought that the horse collar on Mayfield was a bad call. Or they agreed with the no call on the targeting on Mixon. And loved the guy who yanked Kasitati's helmet off by the face mask with no call.

They finally played somebody who can play. They will do that again this week, this time on the road.

BTW, the best thing about this post game celebration? I don't think there was any Gatorade. For us old guys, that's the way it should be.

Reactions: Oklabama
Ahmad Thomas (the safety) took a poor angle on his pick to effectively end the game. Brilliant physical play, but the ball was underthrown. And I can't remember the receiver or db in man coverage, but the Baylor receiver had a step on him and Thomas was too shallow to help. Not sure if he'd have gotten there had the throw been deeper, but it looked likely not. If that had gone for a score, different ballgame.
Well....I'm almost afraid to say this, but it was Sanchez. He was playing on that tweaked ankle though. WR was #4 Jay Lee. And I think Thomas took a brilliant line to the ball. Had he taken a different line more towards the WR to try and break up the pass, it's likely he doesn't get there in time and it goes for a TD. He saw he could get to the ball, and he did it. The ball may have been slightly underthrown, but it was a pretty good pass since Thomas had to go up high and stretch out to catch it. Had he not caught that ball, the WR would have been dangerously close to catching it in perfect stride and easily scored.

Great post and great points Plaino!!

Thanks. I know it will sound like an excuse, I don't mean it to be. And Sanchez was hurting. But if Zack thought that he had safety help over the top, then he needs to trail that receiver a little, so they have one over and one under. But we ended up with two under, which ain't good. But especially with a wet ball, Thomas made a great catch.

BTW, if you haven't read the feature on Soonersports.com about Kerry Cooks, that might be one of Jessica's best video features ever. I didn't know he played his hs ball in Irving. You can see a difference in the cohesion of the db's. And it was his focal point after spring practice.

We're lucky to have him.

Your attention to detail, as always, is impressive and awesome my friend. The point about Riley's in game adjustments with blocking assignments. Noticed for the first time against Tennessee when Mayfield scored one of the late TDs on a fake to Perine. He had Perine cut back after the fake and seal the right side tackle or end. Mayfield was untouched. I knew then that we might have something special. We do.

The path that Mixon took had to be precise. He and Perine crossed. Mixon was on the right and cutting to get to the place where the guy who would usually be the read guy was screened a little. He had to go under Joe or outside of him. If he doesn't go inside, then Samaje gets the ball. It kept Baylor's read guy from being able to try to fool Baker. He had to go hard one way or another.

But Mixon has to get there without slowing Perine's momentum. Otherwise if he SP gets the handoff, he will have a hard time scoring. Joe checked the read guy, took away any chance the defender had to tackle the quarterback, then circled to the outside shoulder of his blocking assignment to clear the way for Baker. The precision was hard to appreciate in the moment. But if you watch in slow motion, it is so perfectly executed.

And these two young running backs get it. There is a video, I think on the official site of two minutes worth of celebrating by fans and coaches and players after the game. And there is a lingering shot of Joe Mixon with this pure joy. After what he's dealt with in the last 15 months, staying at OU when many thought he would leave, it was like you could see in his eyes that this is why he came and why he stayed. And why he made the right college choice.

I think OU might just win this thing. Could be wrong. Part of it will be about handling some great defenses if we get to the final four. But the improvement weekly is so obvious. As a guy who's loved OU football since Bud's team lost their first five in '61 I think, and then won their last five this is a joy to watch.

As Hannibal Smith used to say weekly in the 80's, "I love it when a plan comes together." For these players and coaches, it seem to be.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
The path that Mixon took had to be precise. He and Perine crossed. Mixon was on the right and cutting to get to the place where the guy who would usually be the read guy was screened a little. He had to go under Joe or outside of him. If he doesn't go inside, then Samaje gets the ball. It kept Baylor's read guy from being able to try to fool Baker. He had to go hard one way or another.

But Mixon has to get there without slowing Perine's momentum. Otherwise if he SP gets the handoff, he will have a hard time scoring. Joe checked the read guy, took away any chance the defender had to tackle the quarterback, then circled to the outside shoulder of his blocking assignment to clear the way for Baker. The precision was hard to appreciate in the moment. But if you watch in slow motion, it is so perfectly executed.

And these two young running backs get it. There is a video, I think on the official site of two minutes worth of celebrating by fans and coaches and players after the game. And there is a lingering shot of Joe Mixon with this pure joy. After what he's dealt with in the last 15 months, staying at OU when many thought he would leave, it was like you could see in his eyes that this is why he came and why he stayed. And why he made the right college choice.

I think OU might just win this thing. Could be wrong. Part of it will be about handling some great defenses if we get to the final four. But the improvement weekly is so obvious. As a guy who's loved OU football since Bud's team lost their first five in '61 I think, and then won their last five this is a joy to watch.

As Hannibal Smith used to say weekly in the 80's, "I love it when a plan comes together." For these players and coaches, it seem to be.

Yep, good post Plaino.

We're witnessing something special here.
Haven't had these feel good vibes since 2008 with the Sammie Bradford show.

So, as best you can, forget about all the crap going on in the world and savor this, and hope that it will continue for two more weeks.
Good stuff indeed.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Thanks. I know it will sound like an excuse, I don't mean it to be. And Sanchez was hurting. But if Zack thought that he had safety help over the top, then he needs to trail that receiver a little, so they have one over and one under. But we ended up with two under, which ain't good. But especially with a wet ball, Thomas made a great catch.

BTW, if you haven't read the feature on Soonersports.com about Kerry Cooks, that might be one of Jessica's best video features ever. I didn't know he played his hs ball in Irving. You can see a difference in the cohesion of the db's. And it was his focal point after spring practice.

We're lucky to have him.

Here's the Link to the Soonersports.com, Re:Kerry Cooks...Good Read!

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4680305&db_oem_id=31000

The line blocking and the ZR fake by Mayfield was so good on that TD run that Mixon didn't have anyone to seal off when he circled the LT.

While I've had a hard time convincing even the most ardent Sooner fans believing we would make the Final 4 if we won out, I've seen and felt exactly the same thing because of the continued, steady, improvement on both sides of the ball. We could be the best team in the nation in a few short weeks AND win it all. There's still LOTS of room for improvement too.

There is the potential, in my opinion, for a letdown this weekend with TCU at home. Coming off a big win, questions about Boykin and their WR, and all the "new" publicity the team is dealing with nationally could lead to a lack of focus. A "focused" OU team will crush TCU this Saturday.

OSU is the game that give me more pause than any. Not because I think they are better...they're not. However, they've won FOUR games this year they had no business winning. They play 2 QBs, have NO running game and a suspect OLine. Superstitious part of me says this "could" be their year. Logical part of me says no way. So I'm more concerned about the OSU game than I was Baylor or am about TCU.

If we do win out, keep improving, and John Frickin Wayne stays healthy, I don't see anyone that will beat us...honestly.

Last edited:
Maybe we should send ... never mind. I suspect they thought that the horse collar on Mayfield was a bad call. Or they agreed with the no call on the targeting on Mixon. And loved the guy who yanked Kasitati's helmet off by the face mask with no call.

They finally played somebody who can play. They will do that again this week, this time on the road.

BTW, the best thing about this post game celebration? I don't think there was any Gatorade. For us old guys, that's the way it should be.

Gatorade baths should be for winning the National Championship game at OU. I could understand it during the regular season if you're Kansas or Baylor...

I had great 30 yard line seats and when OU came on the field chanting Daddy is back I knew Baylor was in trouble. It was great seeing the Big game Bob INTENSITY back and the physical play from the get go..... The OU D is absolutely sick right now and next year this will be a top 5 D for sure. It just makes me laugh now thinking about all the morons even whispering its time for Bob to go.

BOOMER

I love Baylor win as much as anyone but let's collectively start promoting TCU week.

What's with this bullshit TCU week mantra crap you keep spewing? Are you one of those who foolishly thinks that fans on a message board have any bearing on the game? Players play, coaches coach. Let posters on a message board enjoy a great win and discuss anything they want. Sheesh.

Reactions: veritas59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT