ADVERTISEMENT

Some early FB picks

I have always liked Brent’s exuberance and the way he has treated his players. He did a great job at Clemson but our defense declined while he was in charge at OU before he left. I’m hoping he can bring the program back but won’t be surprised if next season isn’t what we all want. Unless we have the same results as last year or worse, I will be in his camp for another season. In other words, he must do better than 2022.

Last edited:
I have always liked Brent’s exuberance and the way he has treated his players. He did a great job at Clemson but our defense declined while he was in charge at OU before he left. I’m hoping he can bring the program back but won’t be surprised if next season isn’t what we all want. Unless we have the same results as last year or worse, I will be in his camp for another season. In other words, he must do better than 2022.
Venables will get OU up and running again.
Again, the 2022 team lost both quarterbacks, it’s four best defenders, 3 starters off the O-line and was still overall a Riley oriented team.
The game against Texas had an OU team playing essentially without a QB. You could sense a blowout loss even before the game and by halftime it was evident that OU could not score.
It’s important to mention that there’s still work to be done and that may not be completed until 2024 or 2025.
Unlike Missouri, ATM and Arkansas, OU brings a great longtime legacy into the SEC and I believe that bodes well for Venables and his program.
Venables recruiting from day one has been superb and all indications are it will get better.

I don't expect much, maybe a win or 2 more than last season which will be an improvement. 2 good solid recruiting classes but to continue that trend the wins need to come sooner rather than later and who knows yet just how good those classes really are, another dismal season we might find ourselves behind the 8 ball in 2024 when the SEC move happens. Not saying we need a Big 12 title in 2023 and a Playoff Birth but another 6 win or even a 7 win season doesn't do us any favors before the move and recruiting may start to slide as well. A 9-4 season and bowl win or better would be good progress going into 2024. I think we learn a lot more about Brent's HC ability along with this staffs ability this upcoming season. Hope it exceeds our expectations but the jury is still out.

We keep hearing one day how inproved we'll be, especially on defense. Then the next day, it's about how many injuries there are, and that players are being shuffled around just to have a two-deep everywhere.

This sounds to me like a recipe for more disaster. Under .500 is a disaster. The one positive was the bowl performance, at least at some level.

We also hear how BV had to root out so many bad attitudes after last year, we heard about how much buy in there was on the roster from everyone.

I'm hopeful. But it's time for performance. I won't trust what l hear, until I trust what I see.

Two things I believe Venables has going for him:
He served under Stoops at a time when defense was prioritized at OU, before the “Texas Tech” style of defense came.
Then he served under Dabo Sweeney, one of CFB’s best coaches.
None of us can gauge how good this team will be until the October 7th game with Texas, even with games before then vs. Iowa State and Cincinnati.
The first three games vs Arkansas State, SMU and Tulsa should be good tune ups for this young OU team still in transition from the Riley era.
Playing a very good 10-win Florida State team tie-to-toe showed me a team capable of better things this year and beyond, especially with two top ten recruiting class these past two years in OU’s pocket.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
It could go either way, IMO. If there’s big improvement (10 wins) I won’t be shocked. But if we only win 8 games, I won’t be surprised either. But I know what to expect to read on the board if that happens.

It could go either way, IMO. If there’s big improvement (10 wins) I won’t be shocked. But if we only win 8 games, I won’t be surprised either. But I know what to expect to read on the board if that happens.
I could live with 8 wins especially if the kinks have been worked out and we see improvement from everything, staff included. 8 reg season wins and a win in a bowl would be even better. This season and next season we are gonna get everyones best game, this season as the last season in the Big 12 (parting gifts) and next season in the SEC (welcome gifts) being our first. Hope these guys realize that. I think they do. If they don't the next 2 yrs will be rough.

Nil and portal have changed the whole landscape of cfb. Not sure I can hang on much longer. Im proud of the girls but I'm a football kinda guy.
OU football has been and will continue to be my main sports interest.
I like watching the OU softball team as I do women's basketball with OU and UConn, but my passion is OU football, even with the NIL and transfer portals.....but I wish CFB would stop its conforming to the taunting and professional wrestling antics of pro football.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
OU football has been and will continue to be my main sports interest.
I like watching the OU softball team as I do women's basketball with OU and UConn, but my passion is OU football, even with the NIL and transfer portals.....but I wish CFB would stop its conforming to the taunting and professional wrestling antics of pro football.
Brother.

Two things I believe Venables has going for him:
He served under Stoops at a time when defense was prioritized at OU, before the “Texas Tech” style of defense came.
Then he served under Dabo Sweeney, one of CFB’s best coaches.
None of us can gauge how good this team will be until the October 7th game with Texas, even with games before then vs. Iowa State and Cincinnati.
The first three games vs Arkansas State, SMU and Tulsa should be good tune ups for this young OU team still in transition from the Riley era.
Playing a very good 10-win Florida State team tie-to-toe showed me a team capable of better things this year and beyond, especially with two top ten recruiting class these past two years in OU’s pocket.
One little reminder. Dabo Sweeney was just another offensive coach before he talked BV into coming to his staff. BV was essentially to the excellence and two natty's at Clemson. But being a great DC doesn't make him a great HC. History is filled with great coordinators who got their shot at having their own team. They proved to be great coordinators. Only.

I could live with 8 wins especially if the kinks have been worked out and we see improvement from everything, staff included. 8 reg season wins and a win in a bowl would be even better. This season and next season we are gonna get everyones best game, this season as the last season in the Big 12 (parting gifts) and next season in the SEC (welcome gifts) being our first. Hope these guys realize that. I think they do. If they don't the next 2 yrs will be rough.
As the new kid on the block, don't expect us to be treated well in the SEC. It'll be that way for a while.

Reactions: iasooner2000
One little reminder. Dabo Sweeney was just another offensive coach before he talked BV into coming to his staff. BV was essentially to the excellence and two natty's at Clemson. But being a great DC doesn't make him a great HC. History is filled with great coordinators who got their shot at having their own team. They proved to be great coordinators. Only.
No one said a great defensive coordinator leads to being a great head coach, unless you're referring to Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Bob Stoops, or Jimmy Johnson.
Venables has not yet proven himself at a head coaching position, but it is too premature and profoundly unfair at this time to say that he won't have head coaching success.
I believe OU has the best man for the job now, especially with his resume and having served under the coaches he's worked for.
Venables faces a challenge unlike any other Oklahoma coach has had... and that's rebuilding a program before entering a conference as strong as the SEC.

0-49.... zero to forty-nine.
195 total yards
11-36 first downs

ZERO - 49
We can be reminded ad nauseam of that we already know, but given OU's team condition that day, the score really represented an anomaly. An objective Texas fan, if there are any, would agree.
With Gabriel sidelined, and against an improved Texas team that lost close games to Alabama and TCU.... and lost to OSU (whom OU beat 28-13).... Venables' team had no chance. Most of us knew Texas would win even before the game because OU was essentially playing without an offense, in all fairness to Beville.

We keep hearing one day how inproved we'll be, especially on defense. Then the next day, it's about how many injuries there are, and that players are being shuffled around just to have a two-deep everywhere.

This sounds to me like a recipe for more disaster. Under .500 is a disaster. The one positive was the bowl performance, at least at some level.

We also hear how BV had to root out so many bad attitudes after last year, we heard about how much buy in there was on the roster from everyone.

I'm hopeful. But it's time for performance. I won't trust what l hear, until I trust what I see.
Did anyone expect Bob would bring it home in his second season my man? We're in the exact same spot today.

Good point.
I'll say that Stoops did not inherit as much of a mess than Venables did.
Stoops had a good nucleus already at his disposal and QB Josh Heupel for every game. Venables did not.
I understand this, the thing that has me juiced up is recruiting on defensive side. Something we have sorely missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT