ADVERTISEMENT

Softball

22Smith

Walk-on candidate
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to Alissa Dalton. Hasnt played in a while.

It would be speculating, but she hadn't been setting the world on fire. I have some guesses. But Mendes got her opportunity and has done really well. She went 3 for 4 today. UIC was strange. They played outstanding outfield defense, and horrible infield defense. If their pitcher had OUr defense behind her, we might not have scored. They botched a half dozen routine plays at least.

The irony is that I think that if Dalton got a chance to play a third of the games at short, that she might be better than Arnold. But might isn't good enough. We are as set in the infield as anybody, and set in center. All the openings are in left and right, and it may be that even if Dalton is a little better player than Mendes, that Mendes is likely a little better fit in right or left. She's surely earned some more playing time this weekend. Mendes showed she deserved a shot. We also didn't see Lowary until today. She looked pretty sharp for four or five, but they came out and got her after two solid hits in the sixth. And just for the record, I don't love the overshift when Lowary is pitching to righties, even though it seems to be working so far. I think it takes away some pitching locations for Paige.Better hitters will take advantage of that.

We've heard no indication that Dalton is hurt. My guess that that some off the field issue is part of it. She's good enough to contribute down the road. And there has been some kind of flu bug circulating through the team. Maybe it's that. But I'm pretty sure I saw her in the dugout this weekend. If it were the flu, you'd think she wouldn't have been around.

Reactions: iasooner1
Dalton played through last Sunday. She was replaced after one at bat. But, she was 6 of 12 with two doubles and three walks last weekend. So, it isn't performance. It might be injury. The flu bug was mentioned, but only with regard to Lowary and the "team." On two boards, Dalton is said to be dealing with personal issues. I don't know of any confirmation. We are rarely told what is going on with players who are not playing for one reason or another.

It would be speculating, but she hadn't been setting the world on fire. I have some guesses. But Mendes got her opportunity and has done really well. She went 3 for 4 today. UIC was strange. They played outstanding outfield defense, and horrible infield defense. If their pitcher had OUr defense behind her, we might not have scored. They botched a half dozen routine plays at least.

The irony is that I think that if Dalton got a chance to play a third of the games at short, that she might be better than Arnold. But might isn't good enough. We are as set in the infield as anybody, and set in center. All the openings are in left and right, and it may be that even if Dalton is a little better player than Mendes, that Mendes is likely a little better fit in right or left. She's surely earned some more playing time this weekend. Mendes showed she deserved a shot. We also didn't see Lowary until today. She looked pretty sharp for four or five, but they came out and got her after two solid hits in the sixth. And just for the record, I don't love the overshift when Lowary is pitching to righties, even though it seems to be working so far. I think it takes away some pitching locations for Paige.Better hitters will take advantage of that.

We've heard no indication that Dalton is hurt. My guess that that some off the field issue is part of it. She's good enough to contribute down the road. And there has been some kind of flu bug circulating through the team. Maybe it's that. But I'm pretty sure I saw her in the dugout this weekend. If it were the flu, you'd think she wouldn't have been around.
Really, Dalton may be better than Arnold. Where did you get that. Coach Gasso has called Arnold the best short stop in the country. Have you taken note of the plays that she makes in the field?? You do know that Coach has used the shift against every right handed batter that Lowary has faced this year - not just against weaker hitters. We will see later on if she employs it against the better teams. If someone does pull the ball or a ground ball goes through the legs it is triple or inside the park homer. I have watched Lowary pitch every inning and I cringe when she throws something off speed. You are right about the shift possibly limiting what pitches she may throw. Evidently Coach is very confident that the righties she has had to face so far are not going to pull that 70+ fast ball. Anyway I don't feel qualified to tell coach that I don't like the shift.

I don't believe they used the shift in Puerto Vallarta. I think it's possible that Dalton might be close to Arnold defensively and better on offense. Not saying it's true, just that it might be. And I think it's possible that playing ss might be better for her offensively.

I don't believe they used the shift in Puerto Vallarta. I think it's possible that Dalton might be close to Arnold defensively and better on offense. Not saying it's true, just that it might be. And I think it's possible that playing ss might be better for her offensively.
You are right they did not use the shift in Puerto Vallarta. I was thinking of everything I saw after that. They were not selective at all. They used it against every rightie regardless of quality of hitter, situation, or score. Wasn't Arnold the Big 12 Defensive PLayer of the year. I would hope that Dalton's offensive production would not be affected by what position she thinks she should be playing. What is so impressive about OU is their defensive versatility. Against UIC Fale Aviu, the left fielder who was playing infield with the shift,fielded a groundball and threw to first base just like a natural short stop or second baseman.

Dalton is making lots of changes. Step up in competition. College classes and lifestyle. A new position change. You may be right. I just know that she looked most comfortable at the plate, the game she started at short. I don't think that was a coincidence.

It's all easy to make plays from roughly the shortstop position, against a team whose best player couldn't find five at bats in your season. No pressure makes for much sounder performance.

U has not had enough offense against any team this year that played solid defense. We still have 3 or 4 who won't hit much against solid pitching backed by solid D. You can get away with that if you're shutting down everybody. But that hasn't been the case so far. It might be later.

After the lineup got set last year, OU got terrific and timely offense from the two corner outfielders. That hasn't been the case this year, and except for CC, those returning haven't stepped up enough to make a difference.

Today could say a lot. Killing UIC or others the last two weekends, doesn't. It's time to pick it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT