ADVERTISEMENT

So far, from various reports, at least 20 with remaining eligibility, are leaving.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Or have left

Four have accepted Senior Bowl invites: Both OT's, Gray and Redmond.

Three had already quit the team: Henry, Smith and Wete.

Eleven others are hitting the portal. I guess is not a given that they're gone, but likely.

Darby, Dennis, Eaton, Evers, Mukes, Roberts, Tarber, Walker, Washington, Weese and West.

Not sure if any will be available for the bowl game.

Ellison and Sumlin added.

Last edited:
Or have left

Four have accepted Senior Bowl invites: Both OT's, Gray and Redmond.

Three had already quit the team: Henry, Smith and Wete.

Eleven others are hitting the portal. I guess is not a given that they're gone, but likely.

Darby, Dennis, Eaton, Evers, Mukes, Roberts, Tarber, Walker, Bryson Washington, Weese and West.

Not sure if any will be available for the bowl game.
Losing Gray, Redmond, Tease, Harrison, Murray and Morris will hurt, but there aren't any of the 11 transfers listed that are key players, at least so far.
There are some key players leaving other teams via the portal and there's always JC talent, but OU really needs to hold on to remaining 2023 commitments and add a few more.

Reactions: iasooner2000
This is going to be a yearly occurrence for everybody. It's likely a little more drastic for OU because of the Riley holdovers, but I suspect it will even out in another year. And you do have to consider not only what's going out, but what's coming in. When we start seeing starters in the portal, I'll be concerned.

FYI, Austin Stogner is back in the portal and is rumored to be returning. I assume that means Rattler is turning pro, but it's also rumored he may transfer again.

This is going to be a yearly occurrence for everybody. It's likely a little more drastic for OU because of the Riley holdovers, but I suspect it will even out in another year. And you do have to consider not only what's going out, but what's coming in. When we start seeing starters in the portal, I'll be concerned.

FYI, Austin Stogner is back in the portal and is rumored to be returning. I assume that means Rattler is turning pro, but it's also rumored he may transfer again.
Rattler isn't good enough to turn pro right now. No doubt though that HE thinks he is

Rattler isn't good enough to turn pro right now. No doubt though that HE thinks he is
Totally agree. In four years, he really hasn't gained any thickness, or seemingly much strength. Pro blitzing linebackers will sack him with one hand. No matter how good your arm is, and his arm isn't as good as rookie reports led us to believe, no pro quarterback is going to have a clean pocket very often.

That goes double for a guy who is pretty short by pro standards. Rattler was the least of a run threat of any Sooner starting quarterback since may Nate Hybl. I can't think of another. Maybe except Landry Jones. But Landry had pro qb length plus at least a little. I doubt Rattler is taller than 6'1. He looks to me like a guy who might have a nice Indoor Football career on hockey size fields.

A&M has already had 19 kids enter the Portal. Florida just had 5 Defensive players enter today. All Teams go through this, it isn't just OU. Thousands of kids are doing this every year. Hell even Stogner entered the Portal again to leave South Carolina after just one year. Maybe he's coming back to OU?

A 40 odd number of Bowls will soon be a thing of the past. I don't know how long it will take but I can envision the post season for D1 football will be a 16 team playoff to the national championship. The portal is much different this year than last year in the shear numbers. The plus or minus of the current portal trend is yet to be determined. Will it further balance a few scales? Will the strong become stronger and the weak weaker? For certain there will be many disappointed players that realize they should have stayed put and worked harder. The portal is a major risk for some and a major opportunity for others. It will be interesting to see how recruiting evolves and how coaching staffs handle the "turnover".

I think Brent hinted the other day that players entering the portal are mostly ones that are not contributing or have contributed in the past.

IMO the Portal can be a blessing because dead weight will remove itself and its also a chance to pick up players that can contribute immediately.

67, that's true. But though guys like Mukes weren't a big contributor this year, they were going to be in the future.

Surely some unhappy guys needed to go. But a few would have been players this year or next. But it is close to nation wide. A lot of players have somebody in their ear or themselves looking in the mirror, with an inflated view of their ability. If you want to be a champion, you have to have the willingness to work your butt off.

More than a few of these guys are doing themselves a disservice.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
IMO, regardless of Mukes level of talent he has completely disqualified himself from the OU team mantra. Let him go to a lesser talented team and see if any less investment is required. I have not seen it but I heard that Billy Bowman tweeted that the exodus at OU is a good thing. I think he used the word "toxic" to define some of the departure.

I think Brent hinted the other day that players entering the portal are mostly ones that are not contributing or have contributed in the past.

IMO the Portal can be a blessing because dead weight will remove itself and its also a chance to pick up players that can contribute immediately.
I agree 100%. Use the portal as an advantage. If a player enters the portal is says he does not want to be at OU for any number of reasons. Give that opportunity to someone that desires it more.

I wonder how many guys we were losing on average before the portal started.
Great question to ponder. College football was much more predictable then. Rattler would probably not left OU for whatever reason. Now players have to take the NIL in consideration when it comes to hitting the portal.

I believe BV has his eyes on a new WR coach. Washington will stay on, from what I hear kids love him.
I have no problem having a guy on staff that can relate to the kids even if he’s not a position coach. I know who I would like to see come back to Norman (and it’s no one who’s brother is a head coach).

Great question to ponder. College football was much more predictable then. Rattler would probably not left OU for whatever reason. Now players have to take the NIL in consideration when it comes to hitting the portal.
If they leave for the NIL then OU is getting out bid, right? That’s a bitch.

If we hear nothing about a WR coach until after the playoffs then it means Malcolm Kelly is coming.
I think Kelly would be great, but an even better pick would be Samples. Just dont know if he would leave the Rams. He could work at OU for 4-5 years, becomes an OC and Washington take over for him, If Washington stayed that long. Hell if Lebby doesnt manage the game any better next year. Samples could become the next OC.

Samples is reported to be the next WR coach at Arizona State. So he's already planning of leaving the Rams, OU should cut Lebby's and Roof's salary and give it to Samples. For those who do not know his dad is the head coach at Duncanville, one of the 6A powerhouses in Dallas. hIs ability to recruit the DFW area would pay for itself.

Samples is reported to be the next WR coach at Arizona State. So he's already planning of leaving the Rams, OU should cut Lebby's and Roof's salary and give it to Samples. For those who do not know his dad is the head coach at Duncanville, one of the 6A powerhouses in Dallas. hIs ability to recruit the DFW area would pay for itself.
Some of the best recruiting grounds in the world.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but he is really unproven as a coach. We can find somebody who's a great recruiter who can also be a great coach.

Like maybe a former Sooner.

We need a coach that can develop players...and get their guys open consistently. The routes that happened this year failed often. Lebby the root cause with his go deep fetish.

I like what Lebby brings running the ball and I'm okay with settling a QB in with the horizontal passing game, especially the quick sideline screens we ran with Drake Stoops, but much like Heupel, we still don't seem to target between the hashes enough. It is the most vulnerable part of the field and the easiest area to exploit mismatches. If we can develop Gibson alongside Farooq as the outside receivers, Mims could be a nightmare in the slot, along with Stogner.

There were more positives than negatives offensively in year 1 so I'm very willing to be patient and see what evolves in year 2.

I like what Lebby brings running the ball and I'm okay with settling a QB in with the horizontal passing game, especially the quick sideline screens we ran with Drake Stoops, but much like Heupel, we still don't seem to target between the hashes enough. It is the most vulnerable part of the field and the easiest area to exploit mismatches. If we can develop Gibson alongside Farooq as the outside receivers, Mims could be a nightmare in the slot, along with Stogner.

There were more positives than negatives offensively in year 1 so I'm very willing to be patient and see what evolves in year 2.
We've got the players right now. Imo.

I believe OU's main issue is the talent level that has not been anywhere near a championship caliber, especially a CFP level, which has historically been proven 3-4 times.
Whatever issues with Venable's' staff there are can and will be resolved by Venables, but until his recruits (better players) are on the roster, only then will we see a team more ready for SEC competition.
Not much has been said here about the huge talent loss a year ago and this isn't a blame-game, it's just reality and it goes above just losing Caleb Williams.
The players that remained did not adequately replaced the ones from 2021.... not by a long shot. Consequently, this left the coaching staff in trying to "put lipstick on a pig", then taking heat for not making the "pig" beautiful.
I believe this team is on an upward trajectory and I think Venables will succeed, but it won't happen overnight.
2022 was a step backward in order to take two steps forward, which I had anticipated a year ago.

Last edited:

I fear a raw, inexperienced WR coach, may have been a factor in the lack of performance by OUr wides.

Reactions: Oklabama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT