ADVERTISEMENT

Slow News Day Comparison...BS VS BS

I am a native of Ann Arbor. Was born there and lived there until 1980. Bo was a football-god to those people. But that was before the Internet, so perhaps the media (that was available) sugar coated Bo's popularity. I never was a huge Michigan fan. I was actually a Husker fan in the early 70's. But if Bob Stoops is the next Bo Schembechler, that seems a good thing.

I often think of Bo when thinking of Bob. Bob was in Big Ten country during Bo's tenure. Was he not?

It's a matter of what you want for the OU football program. A lot of fans remember the Blake years and are satisfied with a good team, top twenty-five type. I think Bob will do that almost every year. It's kind of safe.

If you want a return to the Wilkinson or Switzer years in which we are a "legitimate" contender for #1, I don't think Bob has it in him. I think the one title was a combination of factors, one of which was having an OC that he let run the show and develop an offense that won the year after he left. Another was a rather unique set of players with leadership qualities.

If you want to compete with Sabin or Meyer, I think you need a coach who is governed more by function than personal loyalty, by perfection. But, you take a risk. If you get rid of Bob, you probably won't go back to Blake, but might end up with the Gibbs type years. You won't improve unless you get a little lucky. If it were easy to identify a Bud or Barry, there would be more than two. I think Saban and Meyer are in that category of someone that you can tell is going to have some winners. I saw it when Urban was at Utah. The older OU fans said they saw it in Bud when he first interviewed.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Urban Meyer went 8-3 in his first year at Bowling Green, and 9-3 his second...a 17-6 record in 2 years at Bowling Green will get you noticed by a lot of people...incidentally, he was at Bowling Green during the same period when Saban was head coach at Toledo...

Reactions: Section22Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT