ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting on leads

frou

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
I have very little hair to begin with but,, if Lincoln keeps sitting on 17-20-24 point leads I'm gonna be a bald ass man!! He is a GREAT offensive Coord and Head Coach but that man waists 2-3 possessions a game once we have a lead. Love him but my goodness does that drive me crazy lol!!

If Brooks returns and Wheaton signs next week.
Stevenson is a senior.
Pledger, McGowan and Major are decent backs but are not elite.
I will be very surprised if we ever see Brooks playing for OU again. Pledger is not elite, but a good tough player. McGowan showed flashes. I just didn’t see enough of Major to make a judgment. I think Mikey Henderson could be very good.
Couldn’t Stevenson come back, if he wanted? I didn’t think this year counted against anyone’s eligibility?

I have very little hair to begin with but,, if Lincoln keeps sitting on 17-20-24 point leads I'm gonna be a bald ass man!! He is a GREAT offensive Coord and Head Coach but that man waists 2-3 possessions a game once we have a lead. Love him but my goodness does that drive me crazy lol!!
Stoops used to do the exact same thing. Must be where he learned it

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Saban’s teams aren’t in the habit of blowing large leads. It’s probably one reason why he has six national titles to his credit. When his teams get a large lead, they typically put the opponent away. Last night was an anomaly for Bama.

We have seen OU blow large leads over and over and over in recent years. So it is an issue, in my opinion.

With that said, Iowa State is a really good football team. I am happy with the win and think that Lincoln’s most successful days in the program are still ahead of him.

Saban’s teams aren’t in the habit of blowing large leads. It’s probably one reason why he has six national titles to his credit. When his teams get a large lead, they typically put the opponent away. Last night was an anomaly for Bama.

We have seen OU blow large leads over and over and over in recent years. So it is an issue, in my opinion.

With that said, Iowa State is a really good football team. I am happy with the win and think that Lincoln’s most successful days in the program are still ahead of him.
Good points, 54T
Like Alabama last night, OU did blow a big lead, but never trailed and won with a solid defensive effort when it counted the most.
We have seen OU blow leads and lose and it is alarming how often it has happened in the last two decades. But good teams win in games like OU and Alabama did yesterday.
Winning ugly is no sin.

Reactions: 54T

Your opinion is so noted. And I can easily see why. It seems like that OU's worst games are in the playoffs and as a result everything is magnified. As it should be. Riley is 0-3 in playoff games. The record also shows that OU is 44-8 under Riley. Only two of these games were blow out losses, Bama & LSU, both in playoff games. That leaves six other losses. Of these, not one game was lost by more than 7 points. How many of these were considered 'blown leads' is hard to determine. But even if one said the number is half of them... that's three games out of the 52 games under Riley's watch. So while it seems like that Riley's teams blow leads, in reality it's just not the case. My opinion of course. There is no doubt that OU wins close games the majority of the time. But yesterday....I just want to remind everyone... that yesterday... OU did NOT blow the lead. They won the game and sealed their 6th B12 Championship in a row.

Stevenson should return unless he gets a 1st-2nd round draft grade. I would really like to see Creed Humphrey come back

I wonder if Brooks returns or if his opting out was to keep in healthy for for 2021 draft. If he did, it would seem to be a case of him 'biting his nose to spite his face".
Right now, 12/20/20, I would say it's a 50-50 chance of Brooks returning.

Your opinion is so noted. And I can easily see why. It seems like that OU's worst games are in the playoffs and as a result everything is magnified. As it should be. Riley is 0-3 in playoff games. The record also shows that OU is 44-8 under Riley. Only two of these games were blow out losses, Bama & LSU, both in playoff games. That leaves six other losses. Of these, not one game was lost by more than 7 points. How many of these were considered 'blown leads' is hard to determine. But even if one said the number is half of them... that's three games out of the 52 games under Riley's watch. So while it seems like that Riley's teams blow leads, in reality it's just not the case. My opinion of course. There is no doubt that OU wins close games the majority of the time. But yesterday....I just want to remind everyone... that yesterday... OU did NOT blow the lead. They won the game and sealed their 6th B12 Championship in a row.
Perhaps “blown lead” was incorrect phrasing on my part. There have been a number of games in recent years in which the Sooners had a large lead in the game and held on to win by the skin of their teeth. ISU in Norman last year, TCU in Norman last year, Texas this year, etc. You can blow a huge lead and still win the game. Perhaps, “stepping on their throats”, and not allowing the games to get uncomfortably close late, is what I should have said instead.

I don't think ithat OU can't just pour it on when it wants to. The ISU game was a great example. After halftime, their defense made adjustments that changed the game w/ blitz packages and stunts at the start of 3rd quarter. OU's offensive line stuggled w/ i big time. I don't think it's a HC decision factor moreso than it's a personnel decision.

Reactions: CTOkie
I don't think ithat OU can't just pour it on when it wants to. The ISU game was a great example. After halftime, their defense made adjustments that changed the game w/ blitz packages and stunts at the start of 3rd quarter. OU's offensive line stuggled w/ i big time. I don't think it's a HC decision factor moreso than it's a personnel decision.
Agree.
Iowa State is too good not to make adjustments and letting OU run away with the game.

Enough of this nonsense.
Is Saban getting blasted for Florida's second half rally from a 35-17 deficit as Alabama was outscored 29-17 in the second half ?
OU won a big game over Iowa State.
We need to move on.
Better days ahead....even if there's a Cotton Bowl game against a very good Florida team.

Its a pattern CT. We have done this numerous times only to have the other team eventually come back to win. Riley just doesn't seem willing to put the hammer down and put people away.

Reactions: Cephus63
The AP story says it all...

"Big 12 rushing leader Breece Hall ran for two touchdowns for the Cyclones (8-3, No. 6 CFP) in the second half, when Oklahoma punted on its first five drives before Gabe Brkic's 32-yard field goal with 2:01 left."

Ya didn't we only score 3 points in the second half? Thats not Iowa State making adjustment. That is us being conservative

The Baylor game was not good for the OL and not sure if they have confidence, scheme, talent issues but it is clear LR does not have confidence in our run game with throwing on 3 and 1. I'm thinking we lose against Florida if we can't run and no Stogner. The second half of Iowa St. our receivers were manhandled by their corners. Every catch was highly contested and few were pulled in.

I'm thankful for Grinch. I made a statement that I would think our D will have turned the corner when our D keeps us in the game if our offense stutters for long stretches. They certainly did that Saturday(although gassed) and with Baylor.

Now the question for me...is Iowa St. that good on D or are we in serious trouble with our offense without Stogner?

Reactions: CTOkie
I don't think Riley is sitting on leads, I think teams are making adjustments and Riley isn't able to counter. The defense played so good but obviously was gassed in the 4th quarter after the offense went 3 and out so many times.
This is it

It’s not like Riley stops calling the same plays that were working early

Other teams adjust better on the fly than OU does

I wonder if that part of the difficulty of having HC/OC be one in the same

Stevenson should return unless he gets a 1st-2nd round draft grade. I would really like to see Creed Humphrey Sometimes, you go anyway. But I don't see any way that he goes in the first two days. Racking up big numbers against Tech and Kansas, doesn't prove much. Baylor is a good, not great defense and Iowa State is good to very good. A top three round draft pick would put up 150 type numbers against those kinds of teams. maybe it purely OLine deficiencies. By NFL standards, Stevenson is pretty ordinary. He's not as good a back as Samaje, who is just trying to hang on in The League.

I will be very surprised if we ever see Brooks playing for OU again. Pledger is not elite, but a good tough player. McGowan showed flashes. I just didn’t see enough of Major to make a judgment. I think Mikey Henderson could be very good.
Couldn’t Stevenson come back, if he wanted? I didn’t think this year counted against anyone’s eligibility?
Get surprised on Brooks. RB room is very meh For a blue blood like OU. WS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT