ADVERTISEMENT

Sept. 5 Okie State AT Central Michigan

Central Michigan is in the same conference as Ball State [We have played them twice in Bob's years]. And, is a huge step ahead of Chattanooga. that we have played and isn't any worse than N. Texas who Bob has played three times. His first year we played UTEP, Arkansas State and Rice ... whooptedoooo.

Central Michigan is in the same conference as Ball State [We have played them twice in Bob's years]. And, is a huge step ahead of Chattanooga. that we have played and isn't any worse than N. Texas who Bob has played three times. His first year we played UTEP, Arkansas State and Rice ... whooptedoooo.
FWIW, UTEP (who, BTW, won the WAC in '00) that year was supposed to be the start of a home/home with Arizona State that fell through. The game @ Air Force (start of a home/home concluded in '10) in '01 was the replacement for the back end of that set.

Did OU play at Ball State? Did OU play at Chattanooga? Has OU ever played at N. Texas? Come on Roy... try to understand the meaning of my post.

Did OU play at Ball State? Did OU play at Chattanooga? Has OU ever played at N. Texas? Come on Roy... try to understand the meaning of my post.
OU has played at UTEP (2012 opener)....same difference as OSU going to Central Michigan.
Every team in CFB plays at least one non-conference cupcake these days, except Texas this season, who plays at ND, Rice (8-5 in 2014 and 10-4 in 2013), and California (5-7 but played UCLA, Arizona, BYU close).
Historically, Oklahoma and Texas are the only two teams that generally play a tougher non-conference schedule than the other 8 teams in the Big 12. TCU and Baylor have the keys to the car right now within the Big 12, but this won't help them qualify for a post season playoff berth, especially when representing a 10-team conference. Look what happened in 2014.

OU has played at UTEP (2012 opener)....same difference as OSU going to Central Michigan.
Every team in CFB plays at least one non-conference cupcake these days, except Texas this season, who plays at ND, Rice (8-5 in 2014 and 10-4 in 2013), and California (5-7 but played UCLA, Arizona, BYU close).
Historically, Oklahoma and Texas are the only two teams that generally play a tougher non-conference schedule than the other 8 teams in the Big 12. TCU and Baylor have the keys to the car right now within the Big 12, but this won't help them qualify for a post season playoff berth, especially when representing a 10-team conference. Look what happened in 2014.

You can point out, as just Roy did, that every team in CFB plays a cupcake. That is not my point and I am not debating that. I never brought it up. You boys did. The whole point of the OP is OSU at Mt. Pleasant, MI to play Central Michigan. Joe C. would never schedule this road trip. Never in a thousand years. And many of the other Big XII teams wouldn't either. At least UTEP has half of a reputation in this part of the country. Playing Central Michigan on their home field is embarrassing to this once great football conference. I lived in MIchigan as a teen. Even the people in Michigan make fun of CMU Football and is largely ignored.

Here's a comparison of "major out-of-conference" football programs that have visited Central Michigan vs. visitors to UTEP going back ten years.

CMU, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. Boston College and Indiana. They sometimes play Michigan State who is 60 miles down the road.

UTEP, El Paso, Texas. Texas Tech (twice), Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Oklahoma, UCF, KU, Texas Longhorns and Boise State.

Why don't you trying to make a point that really is important. At least they have the guts to play a Ball State on the road. These are just throw away games in most cases so who really gives a crap about them.

Tell you what Roy. I've always thought it was uncool for younger guys to spar with the elderly. Seriously. I wondered what was so offensive to you about this thread. But then I looked though some old posts and was reminded that you may be the oldest poster here. I don't want to argue with an elderly man anymore. Enjoy your 2015 Sooner football season. Take care.

Last edited:
I find the scheduling of cupcakes for home games to be a huge waste of time. I attend the home games so I'll be watching Akron this year while UT/ND and Wisky/Bama play.

I have no issue with us playing a game like that on the road.

If I recall correctly, I think next season OU plays a road game at UoH due to stadium construction. Or did they kill the construction portion?

It's at NRG Energy stadium. Great opportunity for OU's Houston area alumni, fans and prospects.

On. The. Money. This is a great road trip for OU for all the reasons 22 pointed out.

Back to the original topic, I have no problem with OSU scheduling CMU at their place, even though they will probably lose money on this trip. I would hope that Holder got two return trips from CMU with a very small payout for them to come to The Stool.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
To anyone who might remember, please name the most unlikely road trip that the Sooner Football team has taken.

The Orangemen as they were called back then, were a pretty good football team. They finished in the top 20 the following year. They started the season at #7 and finished #6 in the AP poll a couple of years prior. Even so, OU was still supposed to go there and hammer them good. But it didn't go that way. One memorable play was P.J. Mills' having the ball knocked loose before crossing the goal line on a beautiful long pass. I enjoyed the heck out of that game. A totally miserable evening to say the least. And P.J. Mills is still one of my favorites.

EDIT: I deleted my comment that Mills was hotdogging. He wasn't. That was good defense. I also added a video link. Go to the 1:36:36 mark to see this play if you want to see near disaster. OU ended up winning 30-29.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I did look it up for specifics but I always thought Syracuse in 94 was curious.
We won, but barely...30-29.

It might have been a home and home commitment, can't recall.
It was; the McNabb barf game in '97 was the return game.

UK @ Lexington in '82 was the back half of a home/home which struck me as a roadie you wouldn't normally see an OU taking. The following year was the trip to Hawaii (who gave us everything we wanted in that one).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT