ADVERTISEMENT

SCOOPHD: Mike Stoops (Tuesday Post Practice ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Hey there you are Tuesday. I'm on a roll. Spoke with defensive coordinator Mike Stoops along with a number of defensive players following practice.

SCOOPHD: Mike Stoops Post Practice 11-3

* Stoops reports Jordan Evans and Devante Bond both practiced 'full go' on Tuesday. Good news there. As you can see below, Evans suited out last weekend in Lawrence and even participated in pregame festivities.

MistyAdolescentDamselfly.gif

* I'd expect both to play this weekend -- even though you would hope that it is in a limited role. Count me in the group that thinks it's somewhat important Devante Bond gets some kind of run before the final three game push. Keep in mind he hasn't played since West Virginia, we're now working into the four game absence territory. Or in other a words a full month.

* For those wondering ... don't foresee Frank Shannon and Jordan Evans being on the field at the same time in the near future. If Evans is back healthy that will mean less playing time for the senior LB ... even though he really has done a good job in Evans absence.

* Over the last three games Oklahoma has held its opponent to 90.7 rushing yards (2.5 yards per carry) ... that'll be important with Lawton High School product Michael Warren coming to town ... Stoops called the former OKPreps standout 'the most complete running back' his defense will have faced all season.

* Warren rushed for 157 yards and a score in last week's upset of Texas.

* Oklahoma enters November leading the Big 12 in 7 different defensive categories. I'll go ahead and say that again. Oklahoma enters November leading the Big 12 in 7 different defensive categories.

Total defense: 297.6 ypg ... Next best: Texas (389.0 ypg)
Pass defense: 141.4 ypg ... Next best: Texas (234.8 ypg)
Scoring defense: 16.4 ppg ... Next best: Texas (26.0 ppg)
Pass efficiency defense: 93.7 .... Next best: TCU (110.6)
Sacks/Game: 4.8 ... Next best: Oklahoma State/Texas (4.0)
Interceptions/Game: 2.0 ... Next best: Oklahoma State (1.4)
Red Zone Defense: 75% ... Next best: TCU (76.5%)

* Yeah, yeah ... let's wait and see how they do against the 'big boys'. I know, I know. But you have to give credit where credit is due. As a whole they are playing well on the defensive side of the ball.

* The 14 turnovers forced in the month of October stood as the second most in the country, including 10 turnovers coming by way of interception. Oklahoma is +7 in Big 12 play in turnover margin.

* Oklahoma currently ranks 21st in total defense (321.4 ypg), after ranking 51st nationally last season. Improvement seen dramatically on the back end ranking 10th versus the pass through 8 games, after finishing the season ranked 117th last season.

* Perhaps Charles Tapper is seeing the light? It's certainly surprising to me Tapper's first sack of his senior season comes in the 8th regular season game of the year.

Tapper heads into his final four games as a Sooner putting together the best back-to-back performances of the year. So good last week , Tapper earned Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Week honors (3 sacks, 2 FF vs. KU) for his efforts.

BoringLeafyGuillemot.gif

* Stoops credits Tapper's play to comfort in the system, aided by depth behind him allowing the senior defensive end to play carefree.

Confidence is such a contagious thing.

* How about freshman safety Khalil Haughton getting in late vs. Kansas. Thought this was a pretty good shot of the frosh finishing off a sack with PL Lindley.

SomberAgileArthropods.gif

* While the Cyclones don't offer the match-up offensively that Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State will offer, it should be a solid tune-up before the stretch run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News