ADVERTISEMENT

Schoonerman need the review

Another show on Netflix, which I thought was a brilliant movie and Costner's best performance, was The Highwaymen, about the pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde in 1934.
The ambush of Bonnie and Clyde was filmed at the same site of the ambush.
The Highwaymen put the 1967 version Bonnie and Clyde (with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty) to shame.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Netflix at times has some great movies / series and other times not so great. Most of the time I enjoy the series like Narcos, Godless Ozarks etc etc more than I do the movies.

Reactions: iasooner1
Another show on Netflix, which I thought was a brilliant movie and Costner's best performance, was The Highwaymen, about the pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde in 1934.
The Highwaymen put the 1967 version Bonnie and Clyde (with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty) to shame.
bonnie and clyde is a p.o.s. if you ask me. it was the worst of the "new hollywood" films the late 60's produced. the graduate, downhill racer, and butch cassidy and the sundance kid were far superior examples of the changes in cinema at the time. B&C (and the wild bunch for that matter) made a mockery of the truth and realism for the sake of over the top violence and a middle finger to traditional films just because it would appeal to the younger generation

Reactions: CTOkie
Hollywood has a habit of depicting historical events with its own (usually liberal) interpretation and creative liberty.
1967's "Bonnie and Clyde" was just one example.
Three exceptions, IMO, were "Apollo 13", "13 Days", "Anne Frank: The Whole Story" (made in 2001) and "In Cold Blood" (made in 1967).

Reactions: iasooner1
When talking about good to great cinema of the 60s stop at Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Spartacus, Ben Hur and the Great Escape. In later years, Out of Africa, Godfather & Patton. One movie that I absolutely loved and it got very little attention in the USA was Bagdad Cafe. The longest running movie in the cinema in French history a few years ago. It had such a strong human message to me and a great theme song.

Some of my favorite movies are:
Days of Wine and Roses
Hoosiers
The Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption
Sargent York
High Noon
Rear Window
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
Rain Man
Dominic and Eugene
Barry Lyndon
The Bridges at Toko Ri
...as well as the ones mentioned by Scottsdale.

I liked both for different reasons.

Speaking of movies...
Does anyone think that any network will ever air/play Gone with the Wind again?

Speaking of movies...
Does anyone think that any network will ever air/play Gone with the Wind again?
Possibly.
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) is televised during Christmas, so maybe it will happen....but the ESPCP (extra sensory politically correct perception) crowd will say it glamorizes the South/racism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT