ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's Scrimmage

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
I chatted with an attendee of Saturday's scrimmage. His views and opinions.

"Smitty is back! Some of these guys look chiseled from stone. Added muscle weight is apparent, especially on defense."

Summary:

Defense: The defense is 100% improved. The interior is strong and focused. Keep eyes on Laulu, Johnson and Redmond are beast. The ends, Grimes, Stripling and Downs are very quick and hard to handle. LBs are big! Ugwoegbu, Smith, White and Stutsman appear to be NFL ready. McKinzie and Kanak will see significant playing time as freshmen. Kanak is extremely fast and hard hitting. The defensive back field was defined as disciplined and a strength not a weakness. Washington, Lawrence, Bowen & Harrington are leaders and hawk the ball.

Offense: QB is in good hands. Gabriel is poised and mature. His game experience is his strength. Evers and Booty are different types of QB but both are solid. The O-Line are bigger, faster and appear to be balanced. There seems to be about 8 or 9 guys that could start. Rotation should not be a problem. WRs looks good. Stoops and Mims simply do not make mistakes in routes or assignment. Farooq & Wease are very talented and big targets. TEs are good. Willis is a wrecking ball after six months with Smitty. RB room is better than expected. Gray is supported by Major, Sawchuk and Barnes. Tawee Walker is going to be about 240 lbs of RB. A Perine or Stephenson type RB.

Special teams will not cost OU any games this year. He heard that Special Teams puts in more practice hours than any other unit of OU football.

The most notable change: This team has spirit and enthusiasm from start to finish. The "buy in" is real and not media hype. The units are units. The LBs look really connected and covering extremely well. "They look like 4 or 5 George Cumby's out there". "OU has assembled, arguably, the best coaching staff in college football".

"Smitty is back! Some of these guys look chiseled from stone. Added muscle weight is apparent, especially on defense."

Summary:

Defense: The defense is 100% improved. The interior is strong and focused. Keep eyes on Laulu, Johnson and Redmond are beast. The ends, Grimes, Stripling and Downs are very quick and hard to handle. LBs are big! Ugwoegbu, Smith, White and Stutsman appear to be NFL ready. McKinzie and Kanak will see significant playing time as freshmen. Kanak is extremely fast and hard hitting. The defensive back field was defined as disciplined and a strength not a weakness. Washington, Lawrence, Bowen & Harrington are leaders and hawk the ball.

Offense: QB is in good hands. Gabriel is poised and mature. His game experience is his strength. Evers and Booty are different types of QB but both are solid. The O-Line are bigger, faster and appear to be balanced. There seems to be about 8 or 9 guys that could start. Rotation should not be a problem. WRs looks good. Stoops and Mims simply do not make mistakes in routes or assignment. Farooq & Wease are very talented and big targets. TEs are good. Willis is a wrecking ball after six months with Smitty. RB room is better than expected. Gray is supported by Major, Sawchuk and Barnes. Tawee Walker is going to be about 240 lbs of RB. A Perine or Stephenson type RB.

Special teams will not cost OU any games this year. He heard that Special Teams puts in more practice hours than any other unit of OU football.

The most notable change: This team has spirit and enthusiasm from start to finish. The "buy in" is real and not media hype. The units are units. The LBs look really connected and covering extremely well. "They look like 4 or 5 George Cumby's out there". "OU has assembled, arguably, the best coaching staff in college football".
Put it in my veins! Hard not to be extremely optimistic! Thanks for the goodness. If even half of that comes true, we are playoff bound. Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:

Summary:

Thanks for sharing this Scottdale.

Energy and effort are pivotal in sports but imo even more so in football because you have 11 guys that need to all bring it together. Energy and Effort are Brent's middle names. There was never a doubt that he would instill a renewed sense of attitude in this program and that it would resonate through the players. Being around a person like that is infectious. And the cupboard wasn't as bare as some would lead you to believe.

The days of playing down to the competition are gone as are shitting our collective pants when staring into the beast of an Alabama. There isn't a better team on the regular season schedule and I'd be shocked at more than 1 loss and unbeaten wouldn't surprise me at all...but you all already know that.

Energy and effort are pivotal in sports but imo even more so in football because you have 11 guys that need to all bring it together. Energy and Effort are Brent's middle names. There was never a doubt that he would instill a renewed sense of attitude in this program and that it would resonate through the players. Being around a person like that is infectious. And the cupboard wasn't as bare as some would lead you to believe.

The days of playing down to the competition are gone as are shitting our collective pants when staring into the beast of an Alabama. There isn't a better team on the regular season schedule and I'd be shocked at more than 1 loss and unbeaten wouldn't surprise me at all...but you all already know that.
My man. 👍

I remember last season someone here said something like, "who is the one guy OU misses the most this year?"
After a few responses it was obvious after the poster revealed who it was, Smitty.
May have been Veritas that said it, not sure.

I believe Smitty's return will be most visible at the O-Line. He is rumored to have targeted them to make the most progress and they are meeting the challenge. We shall see. I have high hopes. I like everything I hear about the defense. The D Line, LBs and DBs all sound energized and ready to hit the field.
If we play smart and lights out every game I don’t care what the season record is. I won’t be disappointed. Everything is sounding like we’re in for a great time this year. BOOMER!
If we play smart and lights out there will be very few on our schedule that can beat us. We won't be disappointed.

I believe Smitty's return will be most visible at the O-Line. He is rumored to have targeted them to make the most progress and they are meeting the challenge. We shall see. I have high hopes. I like everything I hear about the defense. The D Line, LBs and DBs all sound energized and ready to hit the field.

If we play smart and lights out there will be very few on our schedule that can beat us. We won't be disappointed.
I’m just saying don’t get too high because this is Brent’s first year so be patient and don’t make it so that you’re disappointed even when we show a big improvement.

The DL is where I am looking for improvement - talent-wise.
BV has recruited a LOT of great DL at Clemson.
They have had multiple DL drafted in the same year, then just reload and do it again next year.
Good DL makes everyone else look much better.
When the DL commands 5 or 6 or 7 to block them, the LBs and Safeties are freed up to make plays. The Corners are freed up to cover their assignments and not have to help the Safeties and OLB. Looking forward to seeing if BV has this in his arsenal in year 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT