ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright everyone, I'm here to make a modestly triumphant return.

And honestly, I'm a bit glad I had the last few days of the week to sift through some of the 'Sooner Summit' stuff, it's a bit weird, a big dream, and I'm anxious to see where it all goes.

I say that because while there is optimism it can come off I think most everyone accepts there is a looooong way between here and there. Basically it's a lot of people trying to navigate a really uncertain situation in the midst of unprecedented recruiting chaos.

"It will be interesting to see what can come from it, but until it gets a lot closer, I'm skeptical it comes together," one source said.

That's what most have had to say so far, including some family members of those who could be involved. As one parent explained to me, and is obvious to anyone considering the situation, 'this all sounds great for those who can drive in but people booking flights? That's a lot different'.

And when you consider the challenge for families that aren't just coming in on their own tab but in hopes of what...walking around the campus?

"@Carey Murdock spoke with Joe Castiglione about the rise of dead period unofficial visits across the country. Castiglione says he understands why it's happening as many prospective student-athletes who may be losing their chances to compete in the fall are starting to look toward enrolling in the spring. But as for Oklahoma's position on things, it is still a recruiting dead period and there can be no in-person contact with prospective student athletes whatsoever and at this time there would be no access allowed for campus buildings or facilities. "

Beyond that, I've heard chatter of prospects from 2021, 2022, and potentially even some 2023 but that's all a bit rumor driven right now so let me do some more checking before I get crazy on a 'list' because again this is a situation that's going to be very tricky for Oklahoma to navigate.

They can not encourage the trips or really do anything to show any sign of organizing this all while obviously hoping it comes off well and that large numbers of recruits will show up as Caleb Williams plays 'Pied Piper'.

Also, I should note that several of us have taken part in, it sounds more and more likely that the dead period will be extended through September so there's more reason than ever to think that if the recruits can get this to come together, they'll do all they can to see it through.

And just as an example that this is all still very much in its infancy I can tell you that Bryce Foster didn't even know about it until he was asked about it by a reporter.

To anyone that follows Williams and Foster, they know the two speak with some frequency so that reality kind of embodies that this is just now coming together.

All in all, I think if it does happen it could be incredibly crucial to Oklahoma closing in on some elite guys and I can't help but wonder if landing Williams during this limited recruiting calendar could be one of the more fortuitous things to happen to Oklahoma in quite some time.

But the possibility of it happening to any meaningful level still feels like a coin flip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News