ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OK guys, sorry that it took me some time to get notes up. We had some friends over for Lanie's birthday last night, again, apologies.

At any rate, Kendal Daniels was supposed to be in the scoop and I just forgot to send along my notes, and again, my bad.

But beyond the apologies, the Daniels story is quite interesting.

First the things we know...

He spoke to Oklahoma this week, the night before he announced his intent to decide on August 1. And we're told that there was no 'wink' type information given to the Sooners staff.

I know, I know you're all going to jump off the cliff but I've talked to multiple A&M sources and they all expect him to pick Oklahoma.

Now, what I will say is that no one knows or is confident but until the last week everyone was certain it was Oklahoma, but what's really changed over the last week?

Well, basically one thing of note. Daniels, who has been a priority for Oklahoma and Texas A&M for quite some time - and honestly are the only real contenders remaining over the past month or so.

Well last week Daniels went to Texas and there has been some belief he went to College Station during his trip but there has been no confirmation of that - for obvious reasons.

Now the things to remember in this scenario is that A) again, no one has any reason to believe he did other than Daniels sending one tweet that was 'located' as in College Station - however, that's so easy to manipulate that it can hardly be considered a fact he took the trip based on that information.

B) If he did take the trip it's unlikely A&M would confirm it to any media member, even ones they trust - just because of how that looks to everyone on the outside.

In short I've got no reason to think it's not Oklahoma but I won't pretend that I'm not a little uneasy. In short, I've still got more work to do.

**Secondly, so now we all know that Prophet Brown will be announcing his decision tomorrow and it sounds more and more like the Sooners will not be the story, in fact I think it's safe to assume that's exactly what is happening.

I spoke to a source in Southern California on Friday night that told me 'I think it's USC and it's totally out of left field'.

I think the reports that Oklahoma decided to pass on Brown following the commitment of Caleb Johnson makes the most sense of anything I've heard so far.

I know it will surprise some but Johnson is a target that I Think Oklahoma had on fairly level ground with Brown and perhaps one with more upside so it was a choice they were willing to make. And AGAIN I think it's pretty clear if Brown was the guy they wanted that's a road they could have gone down. They seem to have chosen to push for, and take, Johnson know that Brown was about ready to decide as well.

So, that's kind of that in that story.

But what is interesting is that I don't think this has any impact on Damond Harmon as Oklahoma seems still ready to take his commitment on Aug. 1 if it goes the Sooners way.

I still continue to hear that Harmon 'could start out at' or 'is planned for' cornerback but I still just get the feeling that it's going to matter what else comes along at corner and if they can take another one this year.

Honestly? I expect they will take another corner and Harmon becomes a safety - as I've said repeatedly - however we'll have to see that come to light before it's a definite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News