ADVERTISEMENT

Roof Gone

I'm sure to take heat for this but Roof did show significant improvement in his second season in this system with some baller recruits just waiting to bust out with experience.

People seem to be thinking BV will go get an elite DC. He may but he needs to be familiar with BV's defensive scheme or the last 2 yrs was a waste implementing it. Does he want the Defense to learn a whole new scheme the 1st yr in the SEC? I don't know but I just don't see that happening.

Same route as Riley worked with the team while in school and then became a GA before landing a position job. Been around BV for 7/8 years and sounds like he loved the guy and wanted to learn from him. He should make the defensive staff a better staff. Not saying Roof was a bad DC but Alley is young and will bring that much needed energy to the room. Hopefully the other coaches accept it and feed off his energy.

Is Alley 29 or 30?
I tried to find out for you, but his Wikipedia doesn't specify his birth date.

It does, however, have this piece of stupid, worthless information:

Boise State[edit]​

A month after he was signed to be the nickels coach for the Charlotte 49ers,[3] Alley became the inside linebackers coach for the Broncos for the 2019 season.[2] For the 2020 season he coached the outside linebackers while also being the co-special teams coordinator.[4] During the season Alley contracted COVID-19.[5][6][7]

Like it's a scarlet letter or something.

Reactions: iasooner2000
There are a bunch of dummies that played college ball that should NEVER coach anyone. We'll see how it goes

Lots of dummies everywhere. Seems everyone does a podcast from their bedrooms these days on the Sooners. Some are calling it a Home Run hire and Genius Hire lol. That is not known yet but thats what idiots are saying. I just want the Defense to keep improving and get back to OU Standards. Been way too long since we had that. I don't need to label what kind of hire it was until results are seen.

I have more confidence in the hiring of OUr new DC, than the recent hire of OUr new OC. A long time ago, when LR was named HC, I made the bold statement not long after that he seemed like he was trying to create a remake of Texas Tech in Norman. Didn't think that was a good idea.

I get that same unfortunate feeling when I see the UNT exes that keep showing up in OUr portal targets and commitments. Turning our offense into Tech was a bad idea. But turning us into North Texas is three or four steps below that. I not ready to call LIttrell's hiring a mistake. He gets his shot. But I said late last year that I see too many OU exes on this coaching staff. Adding another makes me uncomfortable. That especially when I don't see a history of P5 coaching excellence.

Last edited:
What Venables has done in two seasons tells me he’s making progress in rebuilding/remaking OU football.
Seth Littrell and Joe John Finley played on some great OU teams with solid offenses. Venables, I believe, did not hire them with a rush decision. He had to know Lebby was a short term hire and had several coaching prospects being considered, including Littrell and Finley.
Venables made his decision, in part, on Zac Alley from his time at Clemson with Venables. Alley must have impressed Venables a great deal.
I think Venables knows what he’s doing and is navigating OU through a rocky time very well….as well as anyone could do.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT