ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Anderson Injury introduces Depth Concerns

Losing a guy like Anderson hurts but teams like OU have good players that can step up. I’m not concerned IF Anderson can come back by the end of the season. The B12 is weak and our OFC schedule is even weaker. No real opposition except for a couple of conference games. Hopefully Anderson will be back for those.

I will hate it if Anderson is lost for the year but one player can’t determine a season if the team is elite. Are we or not? We will see.

Sermon’s got the reigns now with Sutton, Pledger, and Brooks giving him some relief. Plenty of talent. Rodney’s body English on sidelines did not look promising at all...sad to say. He has battled through so much up to now.

Just a guess but initially I thought it might be a meniscus tear but when he came out in the brace maybe MCL?

Lets not downplay the significance of this loss. Rod was a big time difference maker and a heisman dark horse. Sermon is good, but he doesn't have that extra gear and burst that Anderson does. They are going to have to work hard to overcome this loss, especially with the lackluster Oline play in the run game.

Lets not downplay the significance of this loss. Rod was a big time difference maker and a heisman dark horse. Sermon is good, but he doesn't have that extra gear and burst that Anderson does. They are going to have to work hard to overcome this loss, especially with the lackluster Oline play in the run game.
Agree.
And with the loss of Anderson, the defense....now more than ever....has to play at a higher level.
I'm not sure this is going to happen based on what I have seen over the past decade from OU.
But the remaining schedule looks favorable:
The next 4 games with Iowa State (who managed only 3 points against Iowa), Army (who will be totally outmanned vs OU), Baylor (in Norman) and Texas are very winnable...and OU has no excuse for losing to any of these 4 teams (with or without Anderson).
A week off after Texas (Oct 13) before visiting TCU should help OU greatly.
Facing OSU at home is huge on Nov. 10.
And with only 6 days off after playing Kansas and before playing its last game against West Viriginia.....while West Virginia has to play at OSU 6 days before playing OU....OU has a relatively favorable schedule.
I believe Riley has the talent level both offensively and defensively to run the table in the wake of Anderson's loss. FAU and UCLA were shut down and late touchdowns against OU reserves were purely cosmetic and did not take away from the two good defensive efforts by OU.
And it seems to me that Riley likes to empty his bench late in games more than his predecessor did which is good for depth development and team morale. That may be, in part, because so many true freshmen are apparently ready immediately.

He needs to return at this point. Certainly not what he was expecting, but there's not much of an option anymore.

Reactions: iasooner1
I know he rather not, but one more good year as a Sooner (like 2017) would benefit him mucho $$$$. Whatever he decides, I will be his biggest fan. Oh, and Senior #92, your news feed is much better than any other. :cool:

I know he rather not, but one more good year as a Sooner (like 2017) would benefit him mucho $$$$. Whatever he decides, I will be his biggest fan. Oh, and Senior, your news feed is much better than any other. :cool:

Yeah, unless he just crushed all other backs in the combine (assuming he's even invited), I would venture to guess he wouldn't even be drafted. Maybe a late rounder. Then it's just an uphill battle when you get off to a poor start like that in the NFL. No investment = no commitment.

Yeah, unless he just crushed all other backs in the combine (assuming he's even invited), I would venture to guess he wouldn't even be drafted. Maybe a late rounder. Then it's just an uphill battle when you get off to a poor start like that in the NFL. No investment = no commitment.

Well, crap. Now I’m depressed. Look for me on one of those prescription commercials. I will be the old fart wearing a faded Sooner T-shirt with a Dude sweater.

Losing one of the Top RB in college football will hurt, a lot. Nothing against Sermon, Sutton and Pledger but none are in Anderson league.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Losing one of the Top RB in college football will hurt, a lot. Nothing against Sermon, Sutton and Pledger but none are in Anderson league.
Very true, at least at this time.
But I expect Riley to come up with new wrinkles among his 4 backs remaining, all of whom are very talented....otherwise they wouldn't be at OU.
I like what I've seen of Serman, Sutton and Pledger so far. Now I want to see what Brooks can contribute.

Very true, at least at this time.
But I expect Riley to come up with new wrinkles among his 4 backs remaining, all of whom are very talented....otherwise they wouldn't be at OU.
I like what I've seen of Serman, Sutton and Pledger so far. Now I want to see what Brooks can contribute.

The very fact that we might have to play 4 different running backs might be a bad sign.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
To be honest we didn’t know what we had in Anderson until he turned it on over the last 8 games of the year. Now I don’t think sermon can do what he did nor Sutton, but we don’t really know about brooks or pledger. Sermon is a good back don’t get me wrong but he doesn’t add the extra dimension that Anderson added. I do think Pledger and brooks could have that.

Even with elite RBs like Perine and Nixon, we always use multiple backs.

Anderson had an incredible knack for the endzone and a burst of speed Sermon doesn't possess. But he's a dependable tough runner who can have a 1000 yard season if the O-line gets better at run blocking.

Sutton runs with purpose and has a strong blend of all the characteristics you want in a RB. He's not elite but a more than capable back.

Pledger has big upside folks. He's a slasher who makes up his mind quick and has good vision.

Hardship possibility?? If he even wants one. He’s just a junior.
Hardship is definitely a possibility. You can not even apply for hardship until after you have completed all your other eligibility. So he would have to play next year and finish 5 years, then apply after the season for a 6th year. No doubt that he would be granted a 6th year.
However, as has been stated, this injury probably removed any chance he had to be drafted.
While I'd like to see him rehab and return to the OU sidelines, if I were him, I would probably rehab, then hire a very good trainer and get ready for April. After the draft, if he is healthy, someone would surely give him a chance in training camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT