ADVERTISEMENT

Riley's First Hire...

I'm happy with the hire. He's just a DL coach, and just tackles at that, I believe.
I think Thibodeaux is DE coach now. I could be wrong.

AHC does not mean #2 anymore. There are several on every staff. I believe Cale and Mike are also AHCs. It's a title thrown around like Vice President is in companies these days.

BR made lying accusations about me on the premium side today, which isn't unusual. Part of my reply was directed to him.
Tell ya what Plaino...how about you go back over to that thread you made on the pay board and quote whatever post you think I made in your reply so I can see exactly what you are talking about. I'm not going to argue with you on this board for reasons neither of us can handle another ban. So do this on the pay board and let's settle your claim that I apparantly made lying accusations about you.

Boy..it's time like these when a premium subscription is truly worth it.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Whatever Coach McNeill is or is not, I will hold off evaluating him until at least midway through this season, starting with what happens with OU's recruiting between now and February.
McNeill, like Riley, has never been a part of an elite program, so he has never worked at a program surrounded by the resources available to him until now.
I understand there being some doubt about him, but claiming he is an "embarrassing hire" at this time is as silly and unfair as it is premature.
We have been reminded often by Plaino about how great OU is, how above criticism the staff is, how message board complaints can harm OU's recruiting efforts....while being reminded also of his superior qualifications above the rest of us in discussing Oklahoma football.
Now I find Plaino's comments both hypocritical and unfair.
We have to trust Riley's judgements now, especially considering that our great hall of fame coach, the winningest coach in Oklahoma's history, hired him 3 years ago and raved about Riley's aptitude and potential. If Riley and/or who ever he hires doesn't succeed, is it therefore Stoops' fault ?

Last edited:
He's had 36 years of chances and has not a single accomplishment as a P5 coach. Guy who ragged on OUr coaches, who won a conference title but it wasn't enough. That's a very different history than a guy who has this record. Pointing that out is the opposite of hypocritical.

But your saying so, tells me that you find great previous performance by Bob and his staff to be less than worthy, but this guy who's never done anything you'd claim to be more deserving.

Mike Stoops has ten times a better record than Ruffin, but you'd find few people on this site that would acknowledge that. There is where the true hypocrisy lies. And lies. And lies.

Listen. I have no issue with you or anyone critiquing OU Coaches. Welcome to the club. The difference between you, myself & others though, is that most waited on results of the individual as an OU Coach. You not so much. But by all means speak your piece. But I do think you owe many, many posters an apology first. Otherwise you will big time come across as hypocritical as hell. And....speaking of lies.... I recall a couple of doozies you expressed towards me.

Welcome to the dark side Plano. I always thought you'd fit in well.

Listen. I have no issue with you or anyone critiquing OU Coaches. Welcome to the club. The difference between you, myself & others though, is that most waited on results of the individual as an OU Coach. You not so much. But by all means speak your piece. But I do think you owe many, many posters an apology first. Otherwise you will big time come across as hypocritical as hell. And....speaking of lies.... I recall a couple of doozies you expressed towards me.

Welcome to the dark side Plano. I always thought you'd fit in well.

Sorry, one more post...

Plaino thinks this is a horrible hire because McNeill doesn't have the "self discipline" to not be a "fat slob", therefore, he isn't a good hire. Let that sink in...

Sorry, one more post...

Plaino thinks this is a horrible hire because McNeill doesn't have the "self discipline" to not be a "fat slob", therefore, he isn't a good hire. Let that sink in...
Mark Mangino's obesity was never seen as a drawback in his coaching career.....as well as Mike Patricia, DC of the Patriots, also.

Indeed. Many fat dudes have been successful in coaching football. It has NOTHING to do with self-discipline or ability, as Plaino would have you believe. Of course, as the supreme OU waterboy, Plaino knows best.
Soonergrad, just a friendly heads up: be careful. (I'm not a moderator).

Reactions: BillyRay
Still be careful bro. I got hit with a ban last month and it kept me from posting on the pay board too. Another one for me and I will be done all together. Pay board too.

I am one that believes bans are kind of silly. Thats just my opinion though as the ignore button can solve issues that two people may have with each other.

Still be careful bro. I got hit with a ban last month and it kept me from posting on the pay board too. Another one for me and I will be done all together. Pay board too.

I'm still surprised you were banned. What for? Was the post deleted? I read everything, and never saw anything questionable.

Reactions: iasooner1
That's pretty much nonsense. I love what Riley has done since he came to Norman. I do think he's been a tad overrated. His sets made Perine and Mixon look pretty good. But the vice versa is true. People in the NFL have secretly, or perhaps covertly talked about Mixon as being as good as any running back for NFL purposes last year, but they viewed him as damaged goods. He made some pretty special plays, and he had a high quality guy to alternate with. It maximized how good the offense looked. Throw in Mayfield as a great college quarterback, and the Biletnikoff winner, and he had some pretty terrific weapons. Easier to look like a great coordinator, when your X's are better than their O's.

We had all that, and a great OLine, but still didn't get it done against UH or tOSU. Injuries were a big part of that. All that to say, that I love LRiley. I think it will be a much bigger test this season.

When the news first came up that Bob was "retiring" it wasn't certain yet that Lincoln was the replacement. I made my feelings about his issues known right up front. I thought Lincoln was a solid replacement, BUT ...

I'd hard more than one place, that his hiring was automatic that he'd be bringing Ruffin with him, and I said at the time, that if that were true, I'd rather we get a different coach. I think Ruffin McNeill is about as overrated as any coach in college football. He's never done anything. He's been around for more than 30 years, and his best hasn't been great. He is a quality man. Everybody seems to love him, everywhere he's been, and I respect that. But he is a guy with lousy self discipline. I don't think a coach whose weight fluctuates between 280 and 375 pounds and who can't move around sufficiently on a practice field, is good for OUrs or any program.

I've heard a ton of excuses about that. But we're hiring as the number two man in OUr football program -- at least that's what the title Assistant Head Coach indicates -- a guy whose credentials are worse than anyone on this staff otherwise. I've been called racist for opposing this hire, which is nonsense. I've asked anyone to tell me what he's ever accomplished as a coach, and other than being a mediocre HC, or a mediocre DC, nobody has told me anything that the resume' of a coach with a title of anything higher than position coach, ought to have at Oklahoma.

A guy who got fired a little more than a year ago, for being 5-7 in a conference where Tulsa, Tulane and SMU were circled games on his schedule, doesn't deserve a job on this staff above the bottom end of the staff. And a guy who started coaching in 1980, and in college in 1985, shouldn't be hired to the bottom end of OUr staff.

Being a wonderful human being is a terrific thing. But it's not a qualification to be on OUr staff. I think Kittle showed us that. He is getting this job because he's great friends with OUr new HC. And the message it sends to the rest of OUr staff is very troubling to me.

I'm shocked, that those who think Bob Stoops quit giving his best effort, or that Mike Stoops is incompetent, or that Kish should go, or any other coach that they've chewed up and spit out in the last decade, that these people seem to unanimously love the hire. I just don't see it.

I'd call him a has been, except he's never done it before. The last time he had a recruiting presence in Texas was eight years ago, and he wasn't recruiting the kinds of players that OU needs to be successful. Before the hire, I said I thought it was a horrible idea, and still believe that.

OUr new HC can hire whomever he wants, though I think maybe part of the reason Bob is gone, is because the BOR told him no about a coach he wanted to hire. This has nothing to do with my disliking Coach Riley. This has to do with a guy whose record is the opposite of stellar, but who is a wonderful man. That's not good enough.

Plaino, I asked you to tell us why you thought the hire was an embarrassment, so now you have. Thank you. I have a few comments regarding some of your points. First, Ruffin has never coached at a school like OU. Maybe that has something to do with the reason he has not coached on conference or national championship teams or put out great defensive stats. You yourself have always said it's more about the player's talent sometimes than the coach. Secondly, I know he has coached for a much longer time than Josh and Mike, but even so neither of them have accomplished much other than at OU. Mike failed as did McNeill as a HC, yet I think you feel that Mike is a valuable part of the coaching staff. I only say that because just last year you proclaimed OU as the best coaching staff in college football. Josh hasn't ever coached a winning conference champ except at OU, and I am going to guess that he never will again unless gets an opportunity like Ruffin is getting late in his career. If Josh continues coaching for schools like East Carolina, Tech, Arizona, Virginia, Nevada, etc., he will have about as much success as Ruffin has had. Finally. If OU wins the B12 and makes the playoffs this year, does that then qualify Ruffin in your eyes. I'm going to guess "no". I don't know much of anything about McNeill but I bet you would never had called his hiring an embarrassment if he had been selected by Bob Stoops. You obviously would had disagreed with Bob's choice because you so much disrespect his coaching record, but I doubt that you would have expressed it as you did here. That's why I was taken back with your post. BTW, I agree with some of points but I think you pulled a Donald Trump and went way overboard. But that's just me.

Tell ya what Plaino...how about you go back over to that thread you made on the pay board and quote whatever post you think I made in your reply so I can see exactly what you are talking about. I'm not going to argue with you on this board for reasons neither of us can handle another ban. So do this on the pay board and let's settle your claim that I apparantly made lying accusations about you.

Boy..it's time like these when a premium subscription is truly worth it.

I don't want to get into a problem with the guys that manage the board, but why is there more freedom on the premium board than here? I recently joined the pay board and can see there is a difference. And, I agree, it's really good.

I don't want to get into a problem with the guys that manage the board, but why is there more freedom on the premium board than here? I recently joined the pay board and can see there is a difference. And, I agree, it's really good.

I assume public image and the greater ability of opposing fans to show up and piss in the punch. If the public board was a free-for-all, it would eventually be polluted with garbage and abandoned by all readers.

I agree that banning regular posters is silly, but at the same point, where do you draw the line, because the trash will always have to be taken out to keep the place clean.

I assume public image and the greater ability of opposing fans to show up and piss in the punch. If the public board was a free-for-all, it would eventually be polluted with garbage and abandoned by all readers.

I agree that banning regular posters is silly, but at the same point, where do you draw the line, because the trash will always have to be taken out to keep the place clean.

I've never thought of it that way. Thanks.

Ironically, our entire D-line is "obese" by the true definition of the word, as I'd every D-line in major college football. Let's just say that prejudice manifests itself in a myriad of ways.

Historically, Ruffin's performance is well below MStoops'. And 3/4 of the board seems to want Mike fired. It's an illogical disconnect that is common here.

Ruffin is praised for over 30 years of mediocre performance, because he's "a great guy" and because it lasted 30 years.

In that time, his teams never won anything noteworthy, but that is overlooked. The only teams he coached who were better than average, were because of great offense, when he was coaching defense or special teams. But he's "a great guy," so he gets a 30 year pass on being mediocre.

People around here, who questioned Bob's integrity and will to win, call this a wonderful hire. It's upside down thinking.

Historically, Ruffin's performance is well below MStoops'. And 3/4 of the board seems to want Mike fired. It's an illogical disconnect that is common here.

Ruffin is praised for over 30 years of mediocre performance, because he's "a great guy" and because it lasted 30 years.

In that time, his teams never won anything noteworthy, but that is overlooked. The only teams he coached who were better than average, were because of great offense, when he was coaching defense or special teams. But he's "a great guy," so he gets a 30 year pass on being mediocre.

People around here, who questioned Bob's integrity and will to win, call this a wonderful hire. It's upside down thinking.
Plaino, your trashing McNeill so prematurely is unfair and silly.....and extremely hypocritical.
But if Riley struggles early on, and OU continues to yield arena football scores, you can come back here with a big "I told you so" attitude, while reminding everyone of YOUR great coaching career.
No doubt you will be hoping McNeill is a failure....while chastising those who are unhappy with Mike Stoops' body of work.
I can recall some Oklahoma coaches who were great assistant coaches (Gomer Jones under Bud Wilkinson, Gary Gibbs and Jerry Pettibone under Barry Switzer) but had only mediocre success as head coaches.
McNeil is an ASSISTANT coach, not a head coach.
And during his time at Texas Tech from 2000-2009, his teams beat OU three times with two near misses.
I don't know that much of McNeill having only checked his resume on the internet, but I sure as schit will give him (and Riley) the benefit of the doubt right now. What other choice makes sense ?

The choice that makes sencse is a qb coach, which we don't have, rather than s DL coach, which we do. Your ongoing trashing of Mike and Bob and Kish make considerably less sense aftet back to back conference titles, than my pointing to that new coach's total lack of P5 accomplishment over 30 plus seasons.

Oklahoma isn't known for their defense so I would assume a little of the trashing is justified. Actually very justified. Can McNeill be any worse?

I am mew to posting here but i have read posting for a little while. plainosooner you have before seen you taken a very hard stand with people who you think criticize coaches. you think it hurts recruiting. you think it hurts the program. But now you are criticizing a OU coach. you are fat shaming an OU coach. before saying others are upside down you need to take care of your hypocrite thinking first. Not long ago you criticize me for not having many posts when I spoke my mind. I now see you are a weak minded person and you hide behind your number of posts. Fat shaming a OU coach shows me you are of low morale character. This new coach is not an embarrassment to OU. A fan who thinks like you is what is embarrassing for OU.

Reactions: BillyRay and CTOkie
The choice that makes sencse is a qb coach, which we don't have, rather than s DL coach, which we do. Your ongoing trashing of Mike and Bob and Kish make considerably less sense aftet back to back conference titles, than my pointing to that new coach's total lack of P5 accomplishment over 30 plus seasons.
Mike Stoops compiled a 41-50 record in his 8 years at Arizona....so what kind of credentials are those if you're going to "trash" McNeill's coaching ? At least McNeill had a 43-34 winning record as head coach and a 2-1 bowl record compared to Stoops' 1-2 bowl record.
I have said often that OU has not recruited that well on defense in recent years and playing in a wide open offense conference has further diminished OU's once stellar defensive reputation....in addition to whatever aptitude Mike Stoops does or doesn't have.
Since Bob Stoops is the great coach you say he is, then he must know what he's doing in turning over the reigns over to Riley thereby having Riley hire the coaches he wants. I'm sure Stoops endorses McNeill.
McNeill is clearly an unknown commodity among Oklahoma fans, but I choose to trust Riley's decision at this time.....but it's kinda crazy knowing you, Plaino, are hoping for an Oklahoma coach to fail.

As for me I'm really looking forward to 2017. Might not win in Columbus but reast of schedule very winnable. Unless I've missed something mike Stoops is still DC and will have the benefit of having RM coaching DTs plus he's returning a mostly veteran D team.

12-1 with an invite to playoffs. Boomer Sooner

Because so much about building a stronger football program is about building relationships, in due time the Ruffin hire will prove very successful for OU. Everyone has always loved Ruffin but he has never had the tools to work with that a place like OU offers. While it was far from great, once he took over as DC at Tech, their defense showed very significant improvement.

Many of OU’s deficiencies in recent years can very easily be traced back to recruiting problems and being forced to play players before they were physically and mentally ready to play…. particularly on the OL and in the trenches where most games are still won or lost. OU’s OL situation is dramatically improved over last year’s early season OL.

Switzer recently said that he likes Riley a lot. Switzer also said that under Riley that “OU might get a lot better” than we have been under Stoops. There are several people who have worked in the sport of football at a high level who I have heard or read who have nothing but glowing things to say about Riley and his football coaching ability’s which can be traced back to at least 2009.

If as an OU fan you don’t understand this now, you eventually will…..OU is very lucky to have someone as its head football coach with the abilities of Lincoln Riley.

It’s in the programs best interest if all OU people embrace Riley, stay with him and help improve the program in the various ways that you can.

Switzer recently said that he likes Riley a lot. Switzer also said that under Riley that “OU might get a lot better” than we have been under Stoops. There are several people who have worked in the sport of football at a high level who I have heard or read who have nothing but glowing things to say about Riley and his football coaching ability’s which can be traced back to at least 2009.

If as an OU fan you don’t understand this now, you eventually will…..OU is very lucky to have someone as its head football coach with the abilities of Lincoln Riley.

It’s in the programs best interest if all OU people embrace Riley, stay with him and help improve the program in the various ways that you can.
Riley has a lot more resources at his disposal in taking over as head coach than Bob Stoops did after the 1998 season and as the dreadful decade of the 1990's concluded. Stoops had to rebuild a dormant program that up until his hire was in shambles.
Riley inherits a rich program with upgraded facilities, stadium expansion, three consecutive solid recruiting classes and a senior quarterback vying for the Heisman Trophy.
My opinion on Riley is that he is indeed a good successor to Stoops, but he must do what it takes to make OU relevant in playing defensive football, which in turn holds the key to competing for a national championship. I see no reason for Riley to fail in this regard.....but I want to see defense be given as much priority as offense in OU's recruiting efforts. Soon.

Riley has a lot more resources at his disposal in taking over as head coach than Bob Stoops did after the 1998 season and as the dreadful decade of the 1990's concluded. Stoops had to rebuild a dormant program that up until his hire was in shambles.
Riley inherits a rich program with upgraded facilities, stadium expansion, three consecutive solid recruiting classes and a senior quarterback vying for the Heisman Trophy.
My opinion on Riley is that he is indeed a good successor to Stoops, but he must do what it takes to make OU relevant in playing defensive football, which in turn holds the key to competing for a national championship. I see no reason for Riley to fail in this regard.....but I want to see defense be given as much priority as offense in OU's recruiting efforts. Soon.

Great job of bringing us back to reality. Everything about Bob Stoops was spot on, and for that he will probably/could always be remembered as OU's best.....even with only one natty. My hope is that Lincoln Riley challenges Bob's win-loss record and tops his championships, conference and nationals. No disrespect for what Bob did for OU, it's that I'm a just a glutton for more.

I could not agree with you more.

However I was very pleased to recently hear Riley indicate that great DT play was the key to controlling a game…. Riley understand the value of playing great defense. Given the fact that Ruffin was Riley’s first hire and a DL coach is a good indication that defense will be very important to Riley.

ADVERTISEMENT