ADVERTISEMENT

Riley will Evolve

LittletonSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
While it sucks that it took a disappointing 2021 season, a Bedlam loss and discussions with L$U to make it clear, the upside to all of the above is that Lincoln Riley finally and fully understands that his program is not nearly as “close” to being elite as he really beloved. If you listen to the postgame presser and add in the manufactured flirtation with L$U, I think it’s safe to conclude that LR has come to grips with the reality that a significantly tougher culture, more dynamic offensive scheme, more physical defensive system, sustained period of stronger recruiting and a significantly better staff will all be necessary prerequisites to success in the SEC. Had OU bumbled their way to wind in Waco and Stillwater, he might have been able to rationalize those thoughts away. However, the simple fact that this OU team wasn’t anywhere close to being capable of physically overwhelming either of the aforementioned, and demonstrably less talented, Big XII opponents, when they needed to, seems to have finally resonated clearly. OU is a “middle of the pack” SEC program, at best.

So, I take solace in the belief that material changes are on the horizon. I’m not daft enough to think that Riley will make immediate wholesale changes. Frankly, he shouldn’t and doesn’t need to. Instead, I am betting that Riley and OU will strategically evolve by tactfully parting ways with Wiley, BB, AG and one of Thibs or Odom. Cain will end up with either all of the LBs or all of the defensive line which will create an extra position - which I’d anticipate being a QB coach.

As far as S&C, 55 or spacemon would know names, but I think it reasonable to assume that LR will find a guy that is modern and innovative (unlike Schmidt) but leans more towards building position specific brute strength/stamina/flexibility AND overall mental toughness (unlike “everybody’s pal” Wiley). That change alone will form a new core of the program - toughness, physicality, discipline and accountability. Even the best teams lose games, but OU has been an anomaly in terms of not being able to separate from, or worse, consistently losing to, inferior opponents. The solution to that issue begins and ends with an elite S&C coach.

BB was once an elite OL coach, but he’s marginal as an evaluator and lazy as a recruiter. Worse yet, the past three seasons have clearly demonstrated that he is unable to coach or develop the talent that is there. His methods are antiquated and his schemes are too rigid. Every offense at every level of football is predicated on good OL play. LR knows that, whatever evolution he has in mind offensively, he’ll need an OL that can consistently move opponents off the LoS in MULTIPLE ways. BB doesn’t like or teach zone blocking. LR needs a guy that can/will coach whatever his talent can do well.

As to AG, he and his scheme are best suited to a team (like WSU) that HAS to do something gimmicky to offset a talent deficiency. Whatever the hell “Speed D” is, it isn’t well-suited to the rigors of the SEC. The Sooners need a DC, and a defense, predicated on putting elite talent in a position to physically compete with other talented teams - and physically overwhelm lesser teams. It’s fine to have some coverage variability on the back end, exotic blitzes from LBs and twists and stunts up front mixed in situationally. However, a program at the level OU aspires to, should be able to simply line up in base D with 3 down and press MTM across the board and just stifle “most” offenses. It’s not rocket science. As Kirby Smart alluded to… if you recruit great players, and put them in a position to win one-on-one matchup, they will make the DC look brilliant when in fact is just basic schoolyard football.

Bottom line.. while LR has been pissed off most of the year, it reached a critical mass losing to two teams down the stretch that had very few players OU even though about recruiting. The LSU crap was annoying, but I firmly believed that, when combined with HIS program’s inability be dominant in any game, he has finally seen the light in terms of what he needs to do to get OU to the next level. Make no mistake, a change at the HC spot right now would be catastrophic. LR is OU’s best chance to get #8. For better or worse, he’s still a young HC and he needed this dumpster fire of a season to fully-understand that substantial changes are necessary to win at the level he expects.

As an aside, I’d expect that there’s going to be a voluntary and involuntary purge of the roster in the coming months. It’s pretty self-evident that OU has some guys that just flat won’t commit to working as hard as they need them to. That is cancer to a program. Some of the departures, on the surface, will appear to be significant. However, you can’t build a culture of toughness and hard work with guys that half ass it - regardless of talent level. If OU signs all of the guys currently committed, gets a few more OL/DL and really attacks the portal, the talent level will be measurably better next year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News