ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: Mayfield Named Starter

Seems like he has a very good report/leadership type qualities that are needed in a QB. Bob normally goes with the guy that has been around the longest, but I think he is pretty much giving the reigns to Riley....

I have a friend in Az that is an ASU grad and booster and is close to Graham. He said Todd stated he didn't do enough to lure Baker to Tempe when it was known he was leaving TTech. Apparently Graham thought Mayfield had a huge upside his Jr/Sr years. He also said Mark Andrews was the big one that got away. I hope both of them prove Graham to be extremely insightful.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Seems like he has a very good report/leadership type qualities that are needed in a QB. Bob normally goes with the guy that has been around the longest, but I think he is pretty much giving the reigns to Riley....

Yeah, agreed, this was Rileys call.
Bob oversees, but delegates, if you eff it up...you're out of there.

Well, we'll have to trust in Lincoln now.
We have to believe in something.

I really hate this anticipatory time of year...it's exhausting.:eek:

I don't know why anyone would feel knight was gonna win the job. For the most part he has been anywhere from average to just terrible.

Reactions: BillyRay
I have a friend in Az that is an ASU grad and booster and is close to Graham. He said Todd stated he didn't do enough to lure Baker to Tempe when it was known he was leaving TTech. Apparently Graham thought Mayfield had a huge upside his Jr/Sr years. He also said Mark Andrews was the big one that got away. I hope both of them prove Graham to be extremely insightful.
Have to say it again...the nicest surprise in the spring game was Mark Andrews. Caught everything and then drug players up and down the field...amazing effort!

Lol ya man here we go on a wild message board ride until Bob Stoops comes out and makes an official announcement. :D

If Baker gets it, I won't be surprised. Alot of reports lately have kinda been leaning towards him getting the job.
Bob Stoops Announces!

NORMAN — University of Oklahoma head football coach Bob Stoops announced Monday afternoon that junior Baker Mayfield will be the Sooners' starting quarterback for their season opener Sept. 5 against Akron.

Stoops also indicated that junior Trevor Knight will be Mayfield's backup and that sophomore Cody Thomas will be the team's No. 3 quarterback.

"It's been a very tight battle among those three guys," said Stoops, OU's all-time leader with 168 wins. "Baker, Trevor and Cody have all made substantial progress and I feel we can win with any of them."

"Baker, Trevor and Cody have all made substantial progress and I feel we can win with any of them."
Head Coach Bob Stoops
Mayfield, a 6-1, 209-pounder sat out last season after transferring from Texas Tech. As a freshman walk-on in 2013, the Austin, Texas, product was named Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year and received freshman honorable mention All-America honors from College Football News after throwing for 2,315 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games (seven starts).

Mayfield was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week and earned multiple national-player-of-the-week honors after completing 43 of 60 passes for 413 yards and four touchdowns (added another on the ground) in a season-opening win over SMU.

The Sooners' opener against Akron will kick off at 6 p.m. CT at Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210288285

Well ok then, let's get on with it Baker. Get us back on top of the Big XII.

Amazing that a walk on at another university can leave that program and beat out two four start recruits.

Boomer Sooner

Well ok then, let's get on with it Baker. Get us back on top of the Big XII.

Amazing that a walk on at another university can leave that program and beat out two four start recruits.

Boomer Sooner

I'm not thinking that 'amazing' is the word to use. A walk on QB from another D1 rival school registers as a student at OU, in which Stoops didn't even know that this happened. He then sits out a full year after which he beats out two scholarship QBs. Amazing? Could it be the state of the QB program and why Huepel was sent packing? I think so. And this to me says everything about Bell's accuracy that TK could take the starting job from him. And then now Baker does the same to Trevor all based on accuracy. IMO, we're in for another long season 8-4 at best, 7-5 potentially. I do think the offense will be exciting and move the ball, but I see quite a few INTs. Hopefully Riley can call some plays that takes the pressure off Baker and place it on the run game.

Reactions: Tank Gossage
I'm not thinking that 'amazing' is the word to use. A walk on QB from another D1 rival school registers as a student at OU, in which Stoops didn't even know that this happened. He then sits out a full year after which he beats out two scholarship QBs. Amazing? Could it be the state of the QB program and why Huepel was sent packing? I think so. And this to me says everything about Bell's accuracy that TK could take the starting job from him. And then now Baker does the same to Trevor all based on accuracy. IMO, we're in for another long season 8-4 at best, 7-5 potentially. I do think the offense will be exciting and move the ball, but I see quite a few INTs. Hopefully Riley can call some plays that takes the pressure off Baker and place it on the run game.

I have posted this before. I watched a lot of Texas Tech's games when Baker started as a walk on freshman. My first reaction was how this guy was not offered a scholarship to at least a program like Houston, Tulsa or SMU. The guy was that good on the early games I watched.

You mention accuracy and that says it all, even when he throws an interception. His ball is right on the mark, no over throws or balls in the ground. His problem as a freshman was throwing into coverage. Hopefully he has grown past that problem. We will see and if not I see an early jerk instead of letting him grow into the position. JMO

BTW, no way we lose five games this year. I would bet money on it. The defense will be improved, if the attitude improves and I think it has along with the new DB coach.

We'll find out starting in less than two weeks, or maybe I should say against Tennessee.

Go get um Baker...........

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Thank goodness. How do you go from a freshman beating out a popular Blake Bell to getting replaced by a walk on from Tech. Either the previous coaching staff was way off base or Knight went into a decline.

Reactions: BillyRay

He could have played there as a soph.

I have posted this before. I watched a lot of Texas Tech's games when Baker started as a walk on freshman. My first reaction was how this guy was not offered a scholarship to at least a program like Houston, Tulsa or SMU. The guy was that good on the early games I watched.

This article explains his history pretty well. It doesn't say which colleges offered him a scholarship, but I believe he did have many offers. It's just that he ONLY wanted to go to TCU and was waiting on that offer - expecting it as well. Then, Zach Allen made a switch from Syracuse to TCU less than a month before signing day and left Baker without a school to go to on scholarship.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/72205/techs-mayfield-meets-school-that-passed-him-over

If he can dance through the Big12, I'm all in. BTW, OCT 24th, I'll be sitting in a sports bar overlooking the Atlantic somewhere in Ft.Lauderdale while watching this feast. I do think Stoops and Riley is going to cut him loose and let him wing the hell out of it.

A couple of things from that article. he threw for 2315 yards and lost his starting job. Wow. He may have threw for 4,000 if they would have stuck with him. Okay the second is the 9 interceptions vs the 12 TD passes. Guess what, he has a running game if he can get us in the red zone, something Tech didn't have. Dual threat will improve his TD passes per, IMO

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I only saw the spring game, but Mayfield was clearly the best player at that point. He brings a bit of moxy as well. Real question is how does the spread effect big backs like OU has? Tech always ran the scat back type. I think the success will be more on the coaches then the players. Coaches have to find the right mix.

And the players voted Knight the captain.

I don't think this is such a big deal and/or a bad thing either. There's no doubt that Trevor is now well entrenched in the team. He is well respected by the team & came into the program with many of the current players, while Mayfield hasn't had that same luxury. All reports that I've read have said that in the past, Mayfield is a leader in every way. I suspect that they'll rally around him if they haven't already.

Eh, Traber is a tool sometimes.

Many years ago, Traber used to do his show the day before the RRS hitchhiking to Dallas. Not sure if he still does that. But one year (during the John Blake era), some OU fans placed hundreds of (let's say) not-nice-to-Traber signs along I-35 from Norman all the way to Denton. We laughed our asses off at that prank.

I think it was the same guys (The Swarm) who, when OU went to South Bend to play ND in 1999, peeled off the Barry Switzer sticky advertisements on the front of the OKC Yellow Pages (HUNDREDS of them) and stuck them all over the interior of the College Football Hall of Fame. That was before the coach was inducted. That was a great prank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT