ADVERTISEMENT

Report Card: Texas

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
QB: Jalen Hurts - 78 - Sooners won because of him AND in spite of him.
RB: Kennedy Brooks - 90 - Looked like a guy who had been resting to this point in the year.
HB: Jeremiah Hall - 85 - You see that block in the first half, wow.
TE: Lee Morris - 75 - Solid day but nothing spectacular.
WR: Charleston Rambo - 77 - Pretty quiet day but was effective when he got looks.
WR: Ceedee Lamb - 100 - If he tops that in his career, he'll have really done something.
LT: Erik Swenson - 86 - Gutty performance, don't think he was 100-percent but kid fought through.
LG: Marquis Hayes - 91 - Really looked like he found his way from about the second quarter on.
C: Creed Humphrey - 94 - Texas threw a LOT of looks at that OL.
RG: Tyrese Robinson - 88 - He is just so at home at right guard.
RT: Adrian Ealy - 85 - See Swenson.

Offensive Average: 87.2 (959)

DEFENSE:

DE: Ronnie Perkins - 94 - Created a lot of first half pressure even without the blitzers.
DT: Neville Gallimore - 100 - OU hasn't had that level of DT play since Gerald McCoy.
DT: Laron Stokes - 85 - Run defense can't be THAT good without the whole DL shining.
RUSH: Jon-Michael Terry - 80 - Thought he was solid but, again, not flashy.
LB: Kenneth Murray - 97 - Gallimore and he shined in a huge, symbiotic, way.
LB: DaShaun White - 80 - Can't remember noticing him aside from not dragging Ehlinger down.
NB: Brendan Radley-Hiles - 91 - Quietly played GREAT, really gave Texas fit in the flats.
CB: Tre Brown - 85 - Was overmatched against some big receivers but FOUGHT.
CB: Parnell Motley - 88 - Much like Brown, but did a bit more in breaking up passes.
S: Patrick Fields- 87 - Texas went at him a bit but kid made a lot of quality plays.
S: Delarrin Turner-Yell - 92 - I can't think of the last time a safety had a game THAT strong.

Defensive Average: 89 (979)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Gabe Brkic - 85 - He'll scare you but the bottom line is he is making them.
P: Reeves Mundschau - 70 - That shank could have been catastrophic.
KOS: Gabe Brkic - 92 - Got a LOT of help from GREAT coverage today.
KR: Tre Brown - N/A -
PR: Cedarian Lamb - N/A -

Special Teams Average: 82.3 (247)

KEY RESERVES:

RB: Rhamondre Stevenson - 86 - Wasn't called a lot but even his blocking was strong.
TE: Brayden Willis - 82 - Guy is becoming a key piece for the Sooners on the edge.
DT: Marquise Overton - 90 - Amazing how much this defense has changed him.
DE: Jalen Redmond - 88 - It was just one series but when OU needed him he showed up big.
DE: Marcus Stripling - 85 - Same song, second verse.
LB: Nik Bonitto - 84 - Thought he gave the edge a time or two.
LB: Brian Asamoah - 86 - Man, what a tackle in space.
CB: Jaden Davis - 88 - Solid day, really strong coverage.

Reserves Average: 86.1 (689)

Team Average: 87.1 (2874)

My Team Grade: 88

Breakdown: So honestly my offensive score was too high and my defensive score came out too low. That's the best the Sooners defense has played since maybe the 2009 bunch. They did so against a very good offense, that has already went wild against a group the entire country respects.

But it wasn't just how well they played but how they did it. Oklahoma dominated the line of scrimmage and created consistent pressure to the tune of 15 tackles for loss and nine sacks.

Offensively Oklaohma's blame doesn't fall on the player so much as the playcalling. Oklahoma seemed deadset on making Jalen Hurts a Heisman trophy winner rather than pushing their advantage up front and just running right at a Texas front seven that clearly wasn't ready
Bottom line, this was a great performance that has me thinking that a national title is a realistic conversation for the Sooners for the first time since 2008.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News