ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Nebraska

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 81 - Not a perfect performance but after some early jitters he settled down and played solid - he'll need to be more consistent in games to come.
RB: Eric Gray - 88 - He heard the chatter and answered back in a huge way - broke some more tackles today.
WR: Theo Wease - 83 - Loved him getting a touchdown and thought he made some nice plays with few exceptions.
WR: Marvin Mims - 86 - Wasn't as flashy statistically as some of his games but thought he opened up a lot for his fellow receivers.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 87 - Finally got rolling today and frankly could have had more.
TE: Brayden Willis- 91 - Man, threw a touchdown, made some catches and watch his block on Gray's touchdown run (w/ the violent cut), STONES a dude.
OT: Anton Harrison - 90 - One of the better games of his career though NU didn't have much to challenge him.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 83 - This was more like the guy we expected. It still wasn't PERFECT (from first look) but definitely better.
C: Andrew Raym - 88 - Though OU did an outstanding job of protecting and obviously just overwhelmed Nebraska in the ground game.
OG: Chris Murray - 87 - Steady as ever, want to see how he handled Nebraska's size in MMI.
OT: Tyler Guyton - 84 - Thought the breaks and chances to see things from the sideline helped him.

Offensive Average: 86.2 (948)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 86 - Was more quiet than we've seen him so far but had some real disruptive moments.
NT: Jeffrey Johnson - 83 - I can't say I noticed him a lot but you don't play run defense like that without a stout middle.
DE: Ethan Downs - 89 - Hard to ignore in a three-down front he looked more active and dangerous from a bit farther inside.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 85 - More quiet than last week but he was a big part of Oklahoma's run stopping.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 89 - Was Ugwoegbu's best game of the year, really looked well prepared.
CH: DaShaun White - 88 - I thought he was playing very well before the ejection.
CB: Woodi Washington - 85 - Lost contain once early but other than that, thought he played really well.
CB: Jaden Davis - 89 - Man, he's playing some really, really strong football for Oklahoma.
S: Damond Harmon - 77 - Rough start to the game but found his feet and was solid.
S: Justin Broiles - 80 - Didn't notice him a whole lot and just one tackle doesn't speak to a huge impact.
S: Bily Bowman - 93 - He just keeps getting better and it's incredible how reliable he is for the Sooners.

Defensive Average: 85.8 (944)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 76 - Missing a field goal is problematic, obviously but did prevent any return game for the Huskers.
P: Michael Turk - 91 - That was more like the Turk we're all familiar with.
KR: Billy Bowman - XX -
PR: Marvin Mims - 94 - Just hard to put into perspective how impactful he has been in the return game.

Special Teams Average: 87 (261)

Key Reserves:

RB: Marcus Major - 80 - Wasn't quite as confident as last week but still thought he helped get things going early on.
RB: Jovantae Barnes - 84 - Man he just has a different twitch than everyone else.
WR: Drake Stoops - 87 - Thought he was a real steadying force, particularly early when it was really needed.
OT: Wanya Morris - 88 - Watch the Marcus Major touchdown from the one, WOW he caves that right side in.
DE: Clayton Smith - 86 - I thought he was disruptive and is showing signs of being the difference maker they want.
DE: Jonah Laulu - 87 - I am anxious to go back and watch because I kept seeing him pop up around the ball.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 85 - Was very active in, again, limited action.
LB: Jaren Kanak - 87 - Oh DaShaun White...that penalty may be something that haunts you. Kanak DOES need to do better with his tackling.
DB: Justin Harrington - 81 - Didn't get as many snaps but still had a solid impact.
CB: Kani Walker - 83 - Only saw him for a few snaps but he flashed immediately upon arrival.
S: Key Lawrence - 88 - Could have had a pick six to go along with his previous interception.
S: Trey Morrison - 84 - Thought he was very impactful and looked like a guy that was playing fast.

Reserves Average: 85 (1020)

Team Average: 84.7 (3173)

My Overall Grade: 86

Breakdown: There isn't a lot you can find real flaw with in this game. What's interesting is how much this was just complete from top to bottom. It wasn't led by a bunch of flashy performances - though several guys had some big moments. But it wasn't Marvin Mims going wild or Marcus Major and Eric Gray being unstoppable. The offensive line blocked well, the running backs ran well, the passing game was - for the most part - clean. The defense was the more stellar unit of the two - based largely on they were facing a more capable opponent - but again with the exception of one player I didn't think anyone hit the 90s.

I know some are going to yell about Kanak not scoring higher but he had a few badly missed tackles to go along with the ones he did get. Still though it's hard not to marvel at his potential and the reality that as soon as White went out there was clearly no doubt amongst players or coaches that he was going to be coming on the field.

Offensively Dillon Gabriel left a lot of plays on the field and that's what kind of shocked me about the game - it could have been so, so, so much worse. There were at least two touchdowns and more than 100 yards left on the field by just simple misses. That will get better with time and this offense will only further take advantage of it's scheme and talent.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News