ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Bedlam

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 63 - How can you be that good to start and that awful the rest of the way?
RB: Eric Gray - 87 - He didn't have as much room in this one but was steady when he got opportunities.
WR: Drake Stoops - 84 - How did he have that first quarter and never get a real look again?
WR: Marvin Mims - 81 - Made some nice plays early on but was another guy that seemed like he went forgotten.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 45 - So many drops, how is he supposed to make me look smart playing like that?
TE: Brayden Willis- 74 - Thought Willis got some looks but not enough good ones.
OT: Anton Harrison - 86 - Thought he was one of the few bright spots for an offensive line that wasn't consistent.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 60 - Again, just didn't see enough.
C: Robert Congel - 40 - Snapping was just awful and hurt OU's quick passing game.
OG: Chris Murray - 67 - Thought he struggled with some of the size of Oklahoma State at times.
OT: Wanya Morris - 73 - Actually thought he was putting in some nice work before going out.

Offensive Average: 69.1 (760)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 72 - Thought he showed some good things, recognized some underneath passes.
NT: Jeffrey Johnson - 70 - Honestly didn't see anything that caught my eye.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 86 - One of his better games as a Sooner came up with some huge plays.
DE: Ethan Downs - 78 - I need to watch more from down to down but felt like he was creating pressure with some frequency.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 76 - He had a few scramble plays that were just baffling but his pass defense is improving rapidly.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 82 - Ugwoegbu had a very strong game, loved how he attacked some of the screens in front of him.
CH: DaShaun White - 90 - White was everywhere, again.
CB: Woodi Washington - 82 - The pass interference was weak but you just can't visibly grab up high. Still though, very solid.
CB: C.J. Coldon - 84 - I really like what Oklahoma is getting out of him right now. He's not elite but he's very steady.
S: Justin Broiles - 73 - I rarely even saw Broiles.
S: Billy Bowman - 87 - I feel like Bowman is really finding his role in this defense and is going to have some turnovers this year.

Defensive Average: 80 (880)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 75 - He wasn't asked to do much for the Sooners.
P: Michael Turk - 96 - Man, he may have been Oklahoma's most important player.
KR: Billy Bowman - N/A
PR: Marvin Mims - 85 - Big return on the quick pass.

Special Teams Average: 85.3 (256)

Key Reserves:

RB: Jovantae Barnes - 88 - Averaged 9.8 yards/carry and...he gets 6 stouches.
DE: Jonah Laulu - 81 - Made some big plays and like some others really looked ready for the screen game.
DT: Isaiah Coe - 84 - Really good in the run game, made some key plays in the fourth.
DT: Jordan Kelley - 87 - Kelley was arguably Oklahoma's most dangerous pass rusher on the day.
S: Key Lawrence - 80 - I didn't see as much flash but he was definitely in the right place repeatedly.

Reserves Average: 84 (420)

Team Average: 77.2 (2316)

My Overall Grade: 76

Breakdown:
I'd like to give all the defense a bit more and dock the offensive work a bit more. But so much of what I saw had little to do with execution and simple game planning/clock management. Mistakes happen and things can go wrong at times but spending 20+ minutes of game action with (at least) a two score lead and doing nothing to ice it away once it was clear your offense had lost it's early mojo?

I've kind of thought that the Sooners need to give Jackson Arnold a serious look for the 2023 season but the more I watch Gabriel it's just clear he isn't the guy who can take Oklahoma where it plans to go. He's a good solid player who can do what the offense calls for but just isn't capable of making the throws when the chips are down.

Still though, i'd like to see his coordinator find some easier throws for him it feels like there is a LOT of third down throws where a receiver is having to work well after the route to find some space.

I really loved what Oklahoma's defensive front did on Saturday night and now it's just about continuing to build on that momentum.

But more important than everything? Tonight got Oklahoma more practices, that's just incredibly crucial.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.