ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and myths...

This is depressing. I don't know how Switzer and Osborne were so successful. Boy, I'm really glad OU isn't located in Montana.

This is depressing. I don't know how Switzer and Osborne were so successful. Boy, I'm really glad OU isn't located in Montana.

It shouldn't be depressing... It is what it is. Recruits for Oklahoma Sooner football don't just come from Oklahoma. Texas has to be recruited. Heavily. For the 2017 class, OU has 9 from Texas, with 7 of those being 4 star recruits...

It shouldn't be depressing... It is what it is. Recruits for Oklahoma Sooner football don't just come from Oklahoma. Texas has to be recruited. Heavily. For the 2017 class, OU has 9 from Texas, with 7 of those being 4 star recruits...

Well I was a bit dramatic purposely. Like I wrote in another thread, Bob just has to go find players wherever they are and sell them on playing for OU. The Program!

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
So the richest and geographically favorable recruiting turf for OU is, of course, the state of Texas....and the deep South, especially Louisiana, Georgia and Florida where OU has had some success historically.
I believe a jump to the SEC or even the ACC would open OU's recruiting turf much more than what it is now.....and cherry picking in places like California and Arizona, along with the 3-5 players that are the top within the state of Oklahoma annually and OU's proximity to Arkansas and Missouri would have the Sooners sitting pretty.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Oh hell yeah. If OU was a member of the SEC it would open up recruiting big time. Alabama's world is anywhere Nick wants it to be. He get his best from CA, FL and TX.

Damn whats Switzer doing these days? Personal appearances Im guessing. Hire him as a recruiter!

Hopefully OUs 2017 class is so far looking so good cuz it appears Bob has put more emphasis on recruiting Texas. Or at least going by commit count it appears that way. I think it was the 2016 class that had hardly any Texas kids in it. National recruiting is great when you can land those kids. But historically Texas has been the bread and butter area for OU. And really, since Bob has gone coast-to-coast with his recruiting over the last decade or more, the overall talent at OU has dropped to where it is now. Or at least that's what we are being lead to believe that OU just doesn't have the talent anymore.

But I also think going to the SEC would open some huge doors to the most talent rich area in the country.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
So creating a 16 team sucsucsuc conference would benefit OU? Who goes where? Doe texASS join or does the sucsucsuc have to accept aOm with OU? Tomorrow the little xii meets to talk expansion... Does that lead to explosion? Maybe we should make a different thread for that... This one is supposed to be about myths and such... She's not a devil woman unless you sell her your soul...

OU's brand remains strong. How much are our current recruiting fortunes a result of what is happening with the programs at Baylor and UT? TCU has somewhat upgraded their facilities but no one in the conference including the T-Booners have upgraded their landscape better than OU. Our playoff appearance last year is reaping rewards for us as well.

We would be a perennial Top 5 recruiting school with a move out of the Big 12.

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: BillyRay
4 years ago the word was the ACC was dead... Now it is being considered by some as the best football conference top to bottom... If it's broke, fix it... Does making the sucsucsuc have two 8 team divisions help OU go to the playoff? I really don't see how. If you can't get recruits at OU then you can't recruit, period. If OU wins, they get in. If texASS wins, they get in. Had TCU beat Baylor two years ago, they would have been in, IMO.

The problem is 4 spots for 5+ teams winning a conference... But nobody wants to fix that...

Moving to the SEC may or may not help OU get to the playoff. But I think it would better build OU's strength in recruiting so when it does make the playoff it's not a blood bath like we saw last year. Also, it would help OU move out of playing in this god awful video game offense style conference. It's great to rack up wins during the regular season. But when you get to the playoffs against real defenses, your offense is toast, and your lightweight defense you have built around stopping Big XII offenses is going to get pushed around.

Moving to the SEC may or may not help OU get to the playoff. But I think it would better build OU's strength in recruiting so when it does make the playoff it's not a blood bath like we saw last year. Also, it would help OU move out of playing in this god awful video game offense style conference. It's great to rack up wins during the regular season. But when you get to the playoffs against real defenses, your offense is toast, and your lightweight defense you have built around stopping Big XII offenses is going to get pushed around.

So do you think Clemson had that many better players? Or were they better prepared? Better coached? Better schemes?

Two years ago, OU got dominated for 60 minutes. Last year, OU was up 17-16 at the half, but looked gassed at the start of the 2nd quarter. OU started the video game offense crap by winning with it in 2000. They can end it as well. Do you think Alabama or Ohio State or Michigan would feel threatened by playing 9 little xii teams for a conference title? Would they win it? Would they dominate it?

Man that's a hard question to answer. Recruiting rankings show OU and Clemson are getting very similar recruiting hauls up till the most recent classes. But what we have seen on the field, OU is clearly behind in something. Maybe Clemson is simply doing a better job at developing their players than OU is?? That's why I really don't but into the idea that the talent at OU is down as far as some claim. OUs talent either just isn't being developed like it should, or there is something missing as far as team chemistry that is holding the team back.

So if it is the case of development and preparedness, how would going to the sucsucsuc be in any way beneficial? It seems that would make it even that much more difficult to get to a New Year's Six game, much less win the conference and play for the National Championship.

Either way though, the coaches are the one's who recruit, develop, and prepare the team. Riley has used the talent this season to control the ball, sustain long drives and take time off the clock. The defense was rested. It isn't as if the little xii can't be won that way, yet there were 4 different CB's used that didn't have the technique of an 8th grader earlier this season.

I find it hard to believe that they could cover a guy in high school and can't now. If they can't, why are they on the team? And how do you not know before they get burned in a game? This isn't as if they got faked out or something. This is simple fundamentals...

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT