ADVERTISEMENT

Really / Bob Stoops on OU’s defense: “It’s worked before, it’ll work again.”

I watched the Tech game again this morning and focused more on the defensive players. What really jumped out was the lack of effort so many players put forth. A good example of this is Tech's first offensive series. If you have the game on video, check out Jordan Evans #26 on the second play. He looks like he is going half speed. No aggressiveness whatsoever. He looked like a guy that just assumed another player would make the tackle and that's what happened. But I've watched OU for damn near 60 years and recall so many defensive squads that were known for its propensity to gang tackle rather than halfass it and simply be content to hold the flashlight. A lot of the defensive issues, at least 75% IMO, is the lack of effort and ability of way too many scholarship players. I just question the talent, and no matter what Bob says, the responsibility is the staff that recruited and coached them up to play college D1. If I were Mike, I use this week to find out who really wants to play defense for me and is willing to give 100% every play then let them play. You can't convince me there aren't kids on this squad that will fight harder than a lot of current starters and prepared to compete with Kansas. BTW, Evans did recover a fumble during the same series but watch his effort on that play as well. Blind hog found an acorn. Also, we are going to really miss Joe Mixon. He's the real deal.

Last edited:
that is a very very scary quote. The best coaches, teams, companies, product makers, etc....ALL adapt, change, improve, change strategies, create competitive advantages, etc in order to stay on top. Look at what Saban does. Hiring "advisors", hiring former head coaches, using loop-holes in the rule book in regards to recruiting, etc. What worked in 2000 may not work in 2016. If the offense have really evolved and changed as compared to 15 years ago like our DC/Mike has said....then why would we expect our defensive game play, scheme, calls from 15 years ago to still work now??! Makes zero damn sense.

that is a very very scary quote. The best coaches, teams, companies, product makers, etc....ALL adapt, change, improve, change strategies, create competitive advantages, etc in order to stay on top. Look at what Saban does. Hiring "advisors", hiring former head coaches, using loop-holes in the rule book in regards to recruiting, etc. What worked in 2000 may not work in 2016. If the offense have really evolved and changed as compared to 15 years ago like our DC/Mike has said....then why would we expect our defensive game play, scheme, calls from 15 years ago to still work now??! Makes zero damn sense.

I think Bob was suggesting that it worked last year, yet OU was the beneficiary of facing two backup qb's and almost lost to one of them in Norman.

He needs to turn his brotherly love into brotherly shove and push Mike on down the road.

I think Bob was suggesting that it worked last year, yet OU was the beneficiary of facing two backup qb's and almost lost to one of them in Norman.

He needs to turn his brotherly love into brotherly shove and push Mike on down the road.

I don't think I would be boasting about making the playoffs after how Clemson handled OU and Alabama handled Clemson. The B12 wasn't that strong last year either. Ohio State would have been a better choice than the Sooners, and hate those guys, but it's true.

You don't know my CEO! Lol. He would have fired his mother if she didn't have breakfast ready at 5 am if that had been her job. No excuses.

I worked for a CEO that fired the founder of the company, his Father. This was/is a major company that is nationwide and has 7x more outlets than McDonalds.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner

3 Backup QB's. Rudolph didn't play in Bedlam and do not forget that Tulsa broke the record against OU for the most yards EVER, in Norman.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
I worked for a CEO that fired the founder of the company, his Father. This was/is a major company that is nationwide and has 7x more outlets than McDonalds.

Business is business for companies that size. And, OU should be operate like that. It's not like Oklahoma University is on the same level as Slippery Rock. Winning and putting the best product on the field within the rules should be the gold standard at an institution like OU. Only top coaches should expect to hold a position on the Sooner staff, and Bob should be asking himself every year "is there someone better that I could get to help me win".

3 Backup QB's. Rudolph didn't play in Bedlam and do not forget that Tulsa broke the record against OU for the most yards EVER, in Norman.

And the Tech QB, even as good as he played Saturday, missed on two or three wide open receivers that would have been TDs. The OU deep coverage was way bad.

I was in senior management for the last 28 years with a $17B organization and if I had ever said anything like that to explain why the companies that I was responsible for under performed, I most definitely would had "retired" earlier.

Senior Living Management compliments of Oklabama...

Reactions: Oklabama
What scares me more then Bobs comment.

He called timeouts twice in the second half, in third and long. He put his hand print directly on the defense, with the same horrible results

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT