ADVERTISEMENT

Ramblings on Racism

sbeker63

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2005
I apologize if the term African American is not the most appropriate. When I was a kid growing up in Canada the terms Blacks was used (N-word as well but that was never construed as being anything other than derogatory). I moved to the States in the early 90's and at some point I became aware that Blacks was an inappropriate term.

No problem - go with the flow. Until I moved back to Canada and the term African-Americans seemed Geographically nonsensical. African-Canadians seemed to not work as well since many people with darker skin in Canada are not from Africa anyways..

To me these incidents can be a blessing in disguise. Better to know your enemy/issue then believe it is not there.

Anyone who thinks that all traces of racism have vanished is just not thinking clearly. We have influential leaders in society who were raised in a time where segregation and racial inequality was the norm. It is naive to think that everyone has seen the light.

The key is make sure we don't continue to teach that racism is acceptable and towards that end the Boren approach is to be commended. I do believe we have made lots of progress in North American and are headed in the right direction. It takes time which is not to say that it is easy or fair for those who are victims of racism during those growing pains.

My optimism for North America does not extend to the rest of the world. The hatred towards Jews and America that is taught from the crib ensures that we will not have peace in my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.