ADVERTISEMENT

Quoteboard (Mettauer, Stoops, Wease, Guyton, Redmond, Barnes, Raym)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
No clue who we're getting tonight, except we've been told yes on Gabriel, Beville and R Mason Thomas. We'll see.

Jalen Redmond
Saturday?
Just getting back into it, I missed a few weeks with the injury or the concussion, whatever. Honestly, just working back in. I feel like I didn’t do the best I could have done Saturday. Missed a lot of plays. Kinda beating myself up over that. Working this week to get back and do better on Saturday.

Concussion timeline? Feel like yourself?
Yea, I do. You know how concussions are, you never know how long you’re going to be out with it. Mine has kind of stuck around for a while. It was just a freak accident, a little injury. I’m back. I feel good.

Sucks to miss that time?
It was tough because I really couldn’t even be in meetings because of headaches and things like that. I missed a few meetings. I came back a week after and started to fight through it. It was really big and hard for me. We have a lot of plays and not being in meetings or not even running through it makes it tough on you to remember them.

Tyler Guyton
Last few weeks?
It was exciting. I feel like I was prepared for it, and I just attacked it head-on. Coach (Bedenbaugh) always tells us to make sure we're ready if anything happens because we just have to get it done.

Confidence?
Tremendously. Tremendously. I was looking for a starting spot when I got here. All the pressure came on me and I was kind of scared. But I feel like the staff, Schmidty, Coach B, and everybody got me really prepared for that.

Why is Schmidty so dang good?
Because he doesn't treat us like linemen. He treats us like skill players. I think that's why he has so much success with offensive linemen who go to the league. It's because he treats us like skill players. He doesn't give us a way out.

Anton a big bro?
That's my dude. When I got here, I was kind of under his wing aside from Coach B's coaching. I was asking him questions about certain schemes and things of that nature, how to set right, how Coach B wants it. It's kind of like having a good side coach or a big brother. He's been here. He's been a guy who has started. I just tried to do what he does.

TCU game day vs. OU?
I feel like this stadium, there's a lot more juice and a lot more energy. At TCU, I feel like our student section and our fans used to look down on us when we start losing or doing bad in the game. But I feel like Sooner Nation just gives us that energy every single game, every day. Whatever we need from them, we're going to get it. We feed off the energy, if (fans) are going to see this. We feed off the energy, and we love when y'all get live.

Andrew Raym (not really by Raym a lot)
Running the show first game?
“It felt great being out there again. We’ve got a new line, all five of us were pretty meshed together. We had a couple footwork errors here and there but I think as an o-line, we worked pretty well together, had some movement off the ball. I’m just excited to see where we go as a group from here on out.”

Guyton?
“He’s athletic. He’s an athlete. When he gets hands on, he’s going to get people off the ball. There’s some more film that needs to be done there, more watching film, more learning the defense, but as a whole I think Tyler did great.”

Theo Wease
Second catch let you know you're back, making a dude miss?
No, I should have went and scored honestly. I was kind of mad at myself right after the play. And then I got more mad when I watched it on the big screen. But no, I felt like I didn’t really need anything to bring me back. You know, I’ve been playing a lot of ball so far. Really I should have scored.

Ball mechanics (getting ball back to hashmarks instead of outside official)?
Not at all. The last couple of years I’d probably leave the ball down, throw it to the sideline or just do anything wild. Now I actually got like a trigger in my head. You can actually see it on one of my catches. The ref was right in front of me asking for the ball, but I know I had to go to the middle. So it kind of just clicks in you head and you know. Once you’ve got it you stick with it.

Tempo, tempo, tempo?
Just how fast the signals are getting called in. And like the defense was really never set. It’s crazy when you see it in practice but it’s really crazy when you see it in the game. So yea, that’s probably the biggest thing. That opens up opportunities for everybody because a linebacker is over one gap, you’ve got an 80-yard run right up the middle of the field. So it’s just busted coverages. And then I said, bad communication win the back end for defenses. It plays a part in everything.

McKade Mettauer
First OU game?
Saturday, it was everything that I could have expected. And you in a lot of ways more. The passion that the fans have and everyone loving on you and having my family there was awesome. One thing, after our first touchdown, I was running down the sideline, and one of the Ruf-Neks shot that gun, and the smoke went all in my face, and I inhaled all that, you know, whatever is inside those things. But yeah, other than that, I think it was awesome.
You got subbed out a bit Saturday?
I did. I don’t particularly know the reason for that, but I trust Coach Bedenbaugh and what he was doing. Just give me a couple blows. So it was good.
Not an injury?
No, it wasn’t an injury. You know, my mom was probably freaking out because she didn’t see me. She probably thought I broke a leg or something, but no.

Jovantae Barnes (feature later this week)
First game?
I felt like it was amazing. When they recruited me, you could feel the crowd and everything and I couldn’t wait to play in it. Saturday was surreal. It was unbelievable. I couldn’t believe that I was actually here. It felt like I just got here last week or last month, but I got here nine months ago and I’ve been grinding. It felt great to play in a game.

DeMarco?
It’s been amazing. He’s been an amazing leader, an amazing coach. It’s kind of like a big brother. I wouldn’t ask for anyone else. It’s an amazing choice. He’s been teaching me things like how to be a man. It’s not only about football. It was a life choice, not only a football choice. It’s one of the best choices I’ve made in my life.

Texts after game?
My phone was blowing up. My family, my dad texted me. Playing my first football game, I didn’t think it would be this fast. I felt like I was just in high school and now I’m in college playing my first game. It was crazy.

Drake Stoops
First catch from DG?
Oh yeah, it's definitely good to catch-- that second play catching one from him, kind of get the drive going, get a little momentum going, get that first first down. It's always big but it's just something that we've been doing in the offseason day-in and day-out, same route. So it's just pitch and catch we've done a bunch of time before so it's definitely something we've worked on.

Gavin's moment?
I'm just ecstatic for him. I was celebrating with him in the end zone. I couldn't be happier. I think it's because I feel a little bit of my own path in what he is doing. We're definitely different players and he's probably better than me than when I came in but that's why I'm so happy for him because what he's trying to do is definitely the road less traveled and it's definitely very difficult but he's a workhorse, keeps his head down, doesn't say much but goes to work. That's what it's all about at the end of the day so I think things are going to work out really nice for him.

BV's first win?
Yeah, that was awesome. It was good getting to-- it didn't really hit me until after the game that it was his first win as a head coach. No one is more deserving. He's such a great leader and this program, it means everything to me and I'm definitely excited to see where he's going to take it and Saturday was just the first step like I said earlier and it was just so much fun all of us out there playing for each other, playing together, and doing it as one. It was awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News