ADVERTISEMENT

Questions to all........

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
OU was flagged for having two players on the field last night at the same time with the same uniform number (WR Dahu Green and LB Curtis Bolton with #18). This is the second time that I recall this happening in the past two years.
WHY ?????

Secondly:
Why does OU allow players to wear duplicate.....and sometimes.....triplicate numbers (Kyler Murray, Kapri Doucet and Jarvis Baxter all wear #1) ? From number 1 through 99, there are enough available numbers for each player to have his own. This never happened prior to Stoops' arrival.
On the surface, this is not a big deal....but doesn't it seem that the coaches should be aware of who's on the field and what uniform number they're wearing ? Aren't the coaches paid to be aware of this ?

On a side note, if I had the power to do so, I would have some numbers honorarily retired (but still worn by a current player), with a plaque or jersey on display for such players Bob Kalsu, John Benien (both killed in Vietnam), Prentice Gautt (first black player in 1957), Billy Vessels, Tommy McDonald, Jimmy Harris, Lee Roy Selmon and a few other iconic players.

I don't know for a fact, but I bet some of the duplicate numbers are due to players requesting particular numbers. I remember like yesterday my sophomore year in high school my coach assigning (throwing jerseys) to the sophomores. Whatever number you got, you had all through high school. That's the way it was, like or not.

One on offense, one on defense and Kyler Murray is ineligible this season. But the bigger issue is why didn't the special teams coach figure this out BEFORE the game when putting together his depth chart for kickoff, kickoff return, punt and punt return teams???

I'm so pissed off at this coaching staff right now I could spit nails!!!

Reactions: CTOkie
It has been a mess all season with last night's duplicate numbers, so many wasted timeouts and the defense confused so often the commentators mention it.

What causes all of these embarrassing moments? Either it's poor coaching, dumb coaching or dumb players. It seldom happens on the high school level or the pro level so why does it happen often at OU?

0-99 gives 100 numbers and scholarships are limited to 85... Duplicate numbers should only be allowed for walk on players after 110 are dressed out and 00-09 are used in my opinion...

Duplicate numbers are deceptive. texASS used number 4 for a WR and a DB who were both starters... One of them was the starting punt returner, while the other was the main deep kick returner... Both were the back up for the other... So either way, number 4 was going to be returning the punt or kickoff...

Reactions: Oklabama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT