ADVERTISEMENT

Question for WP76.....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
The CBS announcers for the Army-Navy game said that both teams were wearing "throwback" uniforms....and showing Roger Staubach in his Navy football (1962-63) uniform that was nothing close to what Navy was wearing on Saturday.
Army's "Darth Vader" uniforms, which did not show one stitch of the Army gold color, was never worn by Army teams.
"Throw back" ? Really ?
Looks like Army and Navy take their marching orders on a football field from sneaker and apparel companies.

I think "throwback" has become a default way of saying "alternative" jersey, even though it's errant. Throwback sounds more manly than alternative.

Reactions: iasooner1
There was an Army Sgt 1st Class on Gameday that did a full explanation of both uniforms with regards to the patches and helmet designs. Both unis were one off - first and last time. I think the red devil patches on the army unis were to honor the 2nd Infantry Bat. that dropped into Sicily and Italian in WWII.

CT, first apologize for not being on the boards for a day or so and missed your question.

As to the uniforms, Navy's were supposedly a throwback to the 1963 version worn by their last Heisman winner, Roger Staubach. Personally, I couldn't see the resemblance to anything worn 53 years ago and I thought it was the "weakest" non-standard uniform the middies have worn recently. Give them credit, they've had some others that were nicely done. Not this time.

Army has worn non-standard uniforms for the Army-Navy game off and on for the last decade or so. For example, we wore a contemporary camouflage pattern, which I thought was "meh" and in 2012 we wore unis that commemorated the Battle of the Bulge which I liked because (1) I commanded a battalion in the 101st Airborne Division and (2) I just thought they looked sharp. That said, 2012 was the greatest stomach punch in my life concerning Army-Navy. Down four late in the game, we drove from our own 10 yard line to Navy's 12 but we fumbled to give the game away.

I thought Army's uniforms last Saturday (and at the risk of losing my "old guy" card) were absolutely badass. However, to say they were "throwbacks" is total BS. They were designed to honor the paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division that jumped into France the night before D-Day. The numerical fonts (while admittedly difficult to read on TV) replicated the 82nd combat shoulder insignia and the patches on the front of the jerseys commemorated the regimental combat teams that fought in those battles.

Don't get me wrong, I think the classic Army football uniform is iconic. However, last Saturday's graphite helmet and jerseys will always hold a special place in my heart not only for the look but the game they represent.

CT, first apologize for not being on the boards for a day or so and missed your question.

As to the uniforms, Navy's were supposedly a throwback to the 1963 version worn by their last Heisman winner, Roger Staubach. Personally, I couldn't see the resemblance to anything worn 53 years ago and I thought it was the "weakest" non-standard uniform the middies have worn recently. Give them credit, they've had some others that were nicely done. Not this time.

Army has worn non-standard uniforms for the Army-Navy game off and on for the last decade or so. For example, we wore a contemporary camouflage pattern, which I thought was "meh" and in 2012 we wore unis that commemorated the Battle of the Bulge which I liked because (1) I commanded a battalion in the 101st Airborne Division and (2) I just thought they looked sharp. That said, 2012 was the greatest stomach punch in my life concerning Army-Navy. Down four late in the game, we drove from our own 10 yard line to Navy's 12 but we fumbled to give the game away.

I thought Army's uniforms last Saturday (and at the risk of losing my "old guy" card) were absolutely badass. However, to say they were "throwbacks" is total BS. They were designed to honor the paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division that jumped into France the night before D-Day. The numerical fonts (while admittedly difficult to read on TV) replicated the 82nd combat shoulder insignia and the patches on the front of the jerseys commemorated the regimental combat teams that fought in those battles.

Don't get me wrong, I think the classic Army football uniform is iconic. However, last Saturday's graphite helmet and jerseys will always hold a special place in my heart not only for the look but the game they represent.
Thanks, WP76.
But I missed Army's black AND gold.
Through it all, I give Alabama, Penn State and the Yankees credit for staying the course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT