ADVERTISEMENT

Predict your newcomers of the year on offense and defense........

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I'll expand it to other players that saw limited time on the field last year. So if you want to add a P.J Mbanasor or Marquise Overton, that would work two.

Here's my guesses:

Offense: Geno Lewis, WR. I sure hope he is the next Shepard ( I would settle for one half) or at least has a productive season. He has the experience.

Defense: Neville Gallimore, DT. Every report I've seen on him is he's having a huge fall camp and really worked hard during the summer work outs.

There are a lot of choices left. So, get your guesses in.....................

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
The Jr. College linebacker Kapri Doucet is being complimented a lot. He's an outside backer I think. He's competing with Dewberry for playing time. They have another JC linebacker they like.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
The Jr. College linebacker Kapri Doucet is being complimented a lot. He's an outside backer I think. He's competing with Dewberry for playing time. They have another JC linebacker they like.
It's DeBerry, not Dewberry.
Jeep Dewberry was a center on OU's teams from 1969-71.

Kendall on offense, even though he's a backup quarterback....not really a prediction, but more of a preference.
Parrish Cobb on defense.

CT, I sure hope Kendall is the newcomer if, and only if Baker goes down. I saw where Parrish Cobb is running third team.

Moses, Doucet is getting some major reps from what I read.

Van, I'll accept OBO. He didn't start last year, but he did play a lot on special teams.

Fits, I just don't see a true freshman start or get much playing time at linebacker. Kelly will be a great one someday. It could happen though. Hasn't Texas had two true freshman line backers start the past few years. Sorry, forgot their names......

Not on subject, but I read where Alveraz is back to playing guard and a somewhat newcomer, Eric Wren at center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonersincefitty
K2C

Malik Jefferson was that bad ass Texas freshman LB that sacked Mayfield a couple of times last year

The three I would have picked from are all hurt. Kelly, Jones and Adams. We're told not a big deal, but Bob always says that.

So I'll take Bledsoe and Jones. The latter isn't a freshman. Doucet might just be the best new guy of everybody. I wonder if he'll play much, but apparently he had a good scrimmage Saturday.

Changed from Powers to Jones. I think he'll be one of our top four wides by Week Six, if not sooner.

Last edited:
CT, I sure hope Kendall is the newcomer if and only if Baker goes down. I saw where Parrish Cobb is running third team.

Moses, Doucet is getting some major reps from what I read.

Van, I'll except OBO. He didn't start last year, but he did play a lot on special teams.

Fits, I just don't see a true freshman start or get much playing time at linebacker. Kelly will be a great one someday. It could happen though. Hasn't Texas had two true freshman line backers start the past few years. Sorry, forgot their names......

Not on subject, but I read where Alveraz is back to playing guard and a somewhat newcomer, Eric Wren at center.
Parrish Cobb was a late addition to the 2016 class after leaving Baylor and now he has a minor muscle pull which should not be a problem. He may be running third team, but I expect him to play as a true freshman and play well....maybe even as a kick returner.

Gonna go with Doucet on defense. And Geno Lewis on offense.
Hard to not pick a couple of the "newcomers" who are a bit older and have more experience. Besides been hearing good things about these guys as well.

My picks as well.

Reactions: BillyRay
Mine are all hopes. We really need Lewis to be a 40 - 45 pass catcher this year. On defense, we also need Tay Evans to really be good. I wasn't all that high on Alexander and so I have hopes that Evans will be a better LBer, if not this year then down the road.

Another possible on offense could be Nick Basquine, wr, walk on. Baker called him a Wes Welker clone. He apparently has had a great fall practice and I believe he was the scout team "player of the year" last season.

BTW, His dad is Anthony Stafford, former wishbone running back.

Reactions: humblesooner

Looks like you might be on to something. I read where Doucet is penciled in as a starting SAM backer. He must be good.

Whoever mentioned Parrish maybe correct also. He's worked his way to number 2 behind Dakota at CB.(granted some injuries allowed that).

It's always fun to watch the new guys get a chance to star. Happens every year...........

Offense: AD Miller
Defense: Tay Evans

Both are new starters, but not being completely green helps. Miller has been getting a lot of praise and has the ideal size/speed combo. I think he'll be a nice compliment to Westbrook and Andrews.

I was impressed by Evans in the spring game and he steps into a position that lends itself to making a lot of plays. I think his size and range ultimately makes him a better fit than Dom Alexander in the 3-4.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Gonna go with Doucet on defense. And Geno Lewis on offense.
Hard to not pick a couple of the "newcomers" who are a bit older and have more experience. Besides been hearing good things about these guys as well.
I think Geno Lewis is kind of our hidden talent. Kind of like Westbrook last year.

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT