ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Player Breakdown: Darius Afalava

Spacemon25

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2017
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Today we have a chance to scout Darius Afalava here on OUI.

Here are the key points that I took away from Afalava’s game:

➡️ Plays like a road-grading guard. Reminds of the guard play OU had back on those 2002-2005 teams where the Sooners would line up on the I, offset I, or 1-back, and get downhill on you in the run game.

➡️ Great at maintaining his balance and positioning out in space, stays in front of quick players and puts them in a vise the second he has the opportunity.

➡️ Upper-body ks really good, even though he doesn’t always trust it. He can tend to tackle players when he didn’t need to all because he isn’t the trusting the technique. However, the thickness in the top half of his body allows him to pack a nasty punch.

➡️ Has very good balance, nimble feet but can get stronger and more mobile in his lower-half which will come with time and patience in the process. Because he lacks a bit here, believe it is one of the reasons he can tend to get a bit high when he’s in pass-pro.

➡️ Absolutely love the attitude and recklessness he can tend to play with when he is getting downhill and I can see exactly why BB views him as a player who could have success in what Oklahoma is trying to do across the offensive line. However, depending on the type of jump he may make this season, I believe he is a player who needs two years in the program before being a contributing piece in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.