ADVERTISEMENT

Player Analysis: Cortez Mills

Spacemon25

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2017
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Today we take a look at Cortez Mills. There is a ton to like about his game and I think he has the potential to develop into a 3rd Down ace, “Get to the sticks”-type player for Oklahoma. His frame looks like he can hold some more quality weight and develop into a more physical prospect which will need to happen in order to handle the more physical SEC defensive backs.

Here a few of the key takeaways you notice from him athletically as a High School Prospect.

➡️ Seems, from the tape, to have pretty large hands or at the very least, really strong hands. The ball stops when it hits his gloves and he makes very difficult catches look extremely easy. Has the instincts to make minor body adjustments to the ball while it’s in the air and at the last minute.

➡️ Explosive out of his stance on some of the deeper routes, even the shallow crosses where he needs to create separation within 7-15 yards. Drops his hips really well, and fast, then has the low shin angle to create that horizontal force and produce faster acceleration.

➡️ In the open field, he is extremely fluid when it comes to dropping low, getting in and out of hips going to the right or to the left. He assesses space really well and knows how to secure the catch in traffic before moving into the evasive maneuvers.

➡️ Has some nice footwork at the LOS but in the full games I watched, he feels incomplete there (as most young prospects are) and will need to improve his ability there, develop a bigger bag to beat press in the SEC.

He is a really strong four-star in my opinion and someone who can develop into a future NFL guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.