ADVERTISEMENT

Patti Gasso on sports talk radio today goes after the committee

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
She talked about OU winning 28 of their last 29 games and they barely moved in the rankings and she said "OU was disrespected."

But she added that OU would be ready to play any team in the tournament and looks forward to playing anybody.

She said it "was shocking that Ole Miss moved from RPI #23 to #12 going into only a single weekend."
She said what "the committee did to 54-3 Minnesota was a travesty"

Patti wants more transparency from the committee especially how the committee determines their seedings.

Way to go Patti!

Minnesota is 54-3, and the #1 ranked team according to USA Today (an ESPN article said they are ranked #2, so I don't know which poll to use). They didn't get to host a regional.

Look at the teams that DID get to host: Three SEC teams, four Pac-12 teams and an ACC team. They chose 42-13 UCLA over 54-3 Minnesota? Plus, all 13 softball programs from the SEC and 8 of the 9 softball programs from the Pac-12 got into the tournament. Sounds extremely heavily biased. Doesn't make much sense to me.

As for Patti's comments: suck it up. If your conference is not very good and you have to rely on playing big time teams early in the season, you better win those games. We didn't. We lost to Auburn, Washington, Tennessee, and Arizona all teams that are hosting a regional. We beat UCLA, and they are hosting one as well. If you're 1-4 against teams that are ahead of you, don't bitch and moan about being disrespected. Just go play and beat them now. If she loses to any of those teams she's going to sound like an entitled whiner. Let your play do your talking.

Reactions: iasooner1
It doesn't do any good, especially if we struggle with lesser teams. If you are good you just play and beat whomever is in your path. It all works itself out in the end. Well at least that's my belief

I have a funny feeling about the Sooners' first game with NDSU. Not a good one. This is the perfect scenario for an upset on several levels. First games are typically easy wins for a one seed, but that's maybe not the case here. North Dakota State is a quality program. They've been in the NCAA tournament something like ten of the last eleven NCAA tournaments.

A lot of four seeds in regionals really aren't very good. I mean they have poor fundamentals in some real basic things. NDSU has a very short bench right now, and it will likely hurt them in
any attempt to move forward, but in one game, that depth shortage won't hurt them much.

The most curious thing is that this is where Iowa State's coach came from. She'll have a book on OU hitters and pitchers that's hard to come by in a week where you have little time to prepare. The Bison can come in as a four seed with no pressure. Yesterday would have been a lot more tense for OU than the visitors. Waiting around with a two run deficit against a team you're expected to run rule. One that got a dose of confidence.

When you're OU in this circumstance, you're already at a huge disadvantage in preparation. It's easy for the other three teams here to look at video on OU. You can start with last year's playoffs. But lots of video laying around to be seen, including like tape of the ISU series. They already know coming in what Parker likes to do to attack hitters. She's really good at it. But wet can take that down a notch. We have little idea what to expect coming in.

This isn't meant to be a "woe is me" post. OU is better. But don't be shocked if this is a nutcracker game. I also think that Patty tweaking the committee's collective noses might just be a small factor. Throw in the uncertainty of the weather this weekend, and you have the definition of a trap game. If the field is messy, it can take away our running game.

One of the thing that makes OU great, is the thoroughness of preparation. How to pitch to the other guys. That is limited this weekend, especially in game one. A lot of bad karma might be coming together.

I have a funny feeling about the Sooners' first game with NDSU. Not a good one. This is the perfect scenario for an upset on several levels. First games are typically easy wins for a one seed, but that's maybe not the case here. North Dakota State is a quality program. They've been in the NCAA tournament something like ten of the last eleven NCAA tournaments.

A lot of four seeds in regionals really aren't very good. I mean they have poor fundamentals in some real basic things. NDSU has a very short bench right now, and it will likely hurt them in
any attempt to move forward, but in one game, that depth shortage won't hurt them much.

The most curious thing is that this is where Iowa State's coach came from. She'll have a book on OU hitters and pitchers that's hard to come by in a week where you have little time to prepare. The Bison can come in as a four seed with no pressure. Yesterday would have been a lot more tense for OU than the visitors. Waiting around with a two run deficit against a team you're expected to run rule. One that got a dose of confidence.

When you're OU in this circumstance, you're already at a huge disadvantage in preparation. It's easy for the other three teams here to look at video on OU. You can start with last year's playoffs. But lots of video laying around to be seen, including like tape of the ISU series. They already know coming in what Parker likes to do to attack hitters. She's really good at it. But wet can take that down a notch. We have little idea what to expect coming in.

This isn't meant to be a "woe is me" post. OU is better. But don't be shocked if this is a nutcracker game. I also think that Patty tweaking the committee's collective noses might just be a small factor. Throw in the uncertainty of the weather this weekend, and you have the definition of a trap game. If the field is messy, it can take away our running game.

One of the thing that makes OU great, is the thoroughness of preparation. How to pitch to the other guys. That is limited this weekend, especially in game one. A lot of bad karma might be coming together.
When patty started playing the woe is me card, is a good sign our girls might not be mentally focused on these games at hand. 2 things usually either you come out fired up and blow them out or you come out flat and either lose or have too close for comfort game.

This team has had more than a dozen games this year, when they came out appearing flat. Yesterday was one. Hopefully, that will change this afternoon.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT