ADVERTISEMENT

Parnell Motley 2nd great interception which was not even reviewed

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
Motley's interception in the Ohio State end zone which could have been a factor who wins and who loses if the game had been closer. Yet no booth review occurred for this play. .

A similar play where an Ohio State WR caught pass near the OU end zone and on the ground an OU defender knocked the ball loose. The same thing happened to Parnell Motley where he intercepted the ball and he fell to the ground having control of the football and an Oh State player knocked the ball loose when he was lying on the ground

The refs called a review for the tOSU WR (And OSU won the review) but the refs never called for a booth review for Motley as the tOSU offense quick snapped the football.

Something is wrong with the rules to allow a team to quick snap the football to avoid a booth review.

Motley's interception in the Ohio State end zone which could have been a factor who wins and who loses if the game had been closer. Yet no booth review occurred for this play. .

A similar play where an Ohio State WR caught pass near the OU end zone and on the ground an OU defender knocked the ball loose. The same thing happened to Parnell Motley where he intercepted the ball and he fell to the ground having control of the football and an Oh State player knocked the ball loose when he was lying on the ground

The refs called a review for the tOSU WR (And OSU won the review) but the refs never called for a booth review for Motley as the tOSU offense quick snapped the football.

Something is wrong with the rules to allow a team to quick snap the football to avoid a booth review.
I don't blame Ohio State as much as I do OU for not calling for a review.

There is nothing wrong with the rules. Go back and rewatch Motley's reaction after that play. It just screams he is upset and gives the impression he knows he dropped it and missed a pick. I have no doubt that factored into the refs not pushing for a review and of course Ohio State quickly got to the line and snapped the ball just in case. If Motley had got up acting like he had pulled in a pick like his first one, then I have no doubt it gets reviewed. You gotta play that part sometimes to get things to go your way.

And like CT said, OU needs to push for a review if needed. But Motley's body language gave Riley no reason to go down that path.

And it wasn't a factor in the game. At all. Can't sit here and say it could have been a factor IF the game were closer. That's creating a hypothetical about a hypothetical.

There is nothing wrong with the rules. Go back and rewatch Motley's reaction after that play. It just screams he is upset and gives the impression he knows he dropped it and missed a pick. I have no doubt that factored into the refs not pushing for a review and of course Ohio State quickly got to the line and snapped the ball just in case. If Motley had got up acting like he had pulled in a pick like his first one, then I have no doubt it gets reviewed. You gotta play that part sometimes to get things to go your way.

And like CT said, OU needs to push for a review if needed. But Motley's body language gave Riley no reason to go down that path.

And it wasn't a factor in the game. At all. Can't sit here and say it could have been a factor IF the game were closer. That's creating a hypothetical about a hypothetical.

The ESPN announcers including Herbstreirt said it was definitely an interception & they commented how tOSU quick snapped the ball to avoid a review.

Just the facts Billy

Maybe Motley was responding to the bad call of incomplete. He knew he caught it and he fell to the ground with control of the football
We can "maybe" all day long. But it's the impression the refs got after the play was completed. If he was upset over the call of incomplete, he did nothing to argue his point at all. He looked like a guy who knew he ALMOST pulled down an Int. Get up off the ground with the ball and start celebrating. Do something to get an impression across to not only the refs, but more important your head coach. Motley didn't do that. Just the facts Bull. Sorry.

We can "maybe" all day long. But it's the impression the refs got after the play was completed. If he was upset over the call of incomplete, he did nothing to argue his point at all. He looked like a guy who knew he ALMOST pulled down an Int. Get up off the ground with the ball and start celebrating. Do something to get an impression across to not only the refs, but more important your head coach. Motley didn't do that. Just the facts Bull. Sorry.

The facts of the Motley interception match exactly the circumstances of the Oh St. WR who caught the ball on the OU 5 yard line and when he was on the ground the OU DB clawed at the ball causing the ball to hit the ground.

The tOSU WR did not scream "complete" The refs just called for a booth review which they did not do with Motley. They probably would have if Barrett had not quick snapped the ball.

Reactions: brsooner
The facts of the Motley interception match exactly the circumstances of the Oh St. WR who caught the ball on the OU 5 yard line and when he was on the ground the OU DB clawed at the ball causing the ball to hit the ground.

The tOSU WR did not scream "complete" The refs just called for a booth review which they did not do with Motley. They probably would have if Barrett had not quick snapped the ball.
The facts do not match exactly. THE main difference is Ohio State had the ball on the other call. They had the luxury of time to communicate to get the review called up. OU didn't have that luxury with the Motley Int. So he needs to sell it to get it going that direction. He needs to sell it to the refs, and he needs to sell it to Riley so Riley can get in the refs ear. Cuz when he first came up off the ground and slammed the ball down and acted disgusted my first instinct was he dropped it. I'm quite certain the refs felt the same way.

Agree with Billy. The Ohio State receiver was injured on the play in question and the replay booth called down to the field, which they can do. On the interception, OSU wisely hurried up and got a play off before the booth could call down to the field.... and before our coaches got a good enough look to call for a timeout to have it reviewed.

At least that's the way I saw it.

I thought that was You that I heard yelling, BR...I got hoarse over that call, too! Yelled at Motley...at Coach...at the Refs...at the Booth...Easily the 'Most Frustrating Moment' of the game.

Motley needs to take some 'Flopping' Lessons from some of our NBA Players!

This is a learning point for Lincoln. He needs to call for a review. You can't expect the refs to always review it. We have 3 to's, a review that even if we lose only costs us a to.

And, Riley, last night said that the OU folks didn't get the review fast enough and that he should have called a time out for a review. Sad think about it is we still had all three time outs available. Overturning that call would have ended the game at 31 - 13 or maybe 38 - 13.

And, Riley, last night said that the OU folks didn't get the review fast enough and that he should have called a time out for a review. Sad think about it is we still had all three time outs available. Overturning that call would have ended the game at 31 - 13 or maybe 38 - 13.
It's good to see him acknowledge HIS part in it, and accept that responsibility...Lessons Learned, from that Fiasco!

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT