ADVERTISEMENT

OU's defensive numbers outside of the UTEP and Tulane games....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
suck.
In five games which include the Ohio State game (a good defensive game) and 4 Big 12 games, OU is giving up an average of 31 points per game. In 4 conference games, OU is giving up 35 points per game. TTN (Texas Tech at Norman) is off and running...again.
Evidently, games such as yesterday, along with the Baylor and Iowa State games, will reflect what too many OU games will be like in the future. Arena style, gimmicky offenses, last ditch rallies or near rallies, Texas Tech type football.
I get that OU plays in a wide open league where games can resemble basketball scores (at least for the winning team), but this brand of football isn't championship football and it does not attract elite defensive recruits.

suck.
In five games which include the Ohio State game (a good defensive game) and 4 Big 12 games, OU is giving up an average of 31 points per game. In 4 conference games, OU is giving up 35 points per game. TTN (Texas Tech at Norman) is off and running...again.
Evidently, games such as yesterday, along with the Baylor and Iowa State games, will reflect what too many OU games will be like in the future. Arena style, gimmicky offenses, last ditch rallies or near rallies, Texas Tech type football.
I get that OU plays in a wide open league where games can resemble basketball scores (at least for the winning team), but this brand of football isn't championship football and it does not attract elite defensive recruits.

CT, you can expect to see what you’re describing next Saturday in Lubbock. To your point, it’s very likely to watch nail biters the rest of the way absent Kansas, surely. I’m convinced that OU wins only if Baker Mayfield has a good/great game and a lot of that depends on what kind of game Lincoln Riley calls. The offense has enough really good players to support Baker if only they are used appropriately. I don’t like the wildcat but IF coach runs it, I rather see Kyler Murray handing the ball without Baker on the field and with the option to run or pass when appropriate. There is no concern of a pass play with the running backs taking the snap.....but please, coach, be selective and just run your regular offense when the goal line is 1/2 yard away. I’m not going to even address the defense. I’ve just decided to accept what happens after yesterday’s first half performance against the simplest offense Mike will have to defend all year yet it took him an entire half to make the proper adjustments only to see another collapse late in the game. I’m certain that was on Riley’s mind during the last drive, which I thought he handled well.

Riley’s decision to go wildcat with Mayfield as a split end....with under a yard to go...is insane. What happened to using either Sermon or Anderson running between the tackles ?
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this direction. I just do NOT understand taking the ball out of Baker's hands several times during the game. Baker is one of the best players in college football, and arguable the best QB in college football. And you are going to either take him off the field or have him line up as a WR to run some gimmicky plays?? I dunno that made zero sense to me.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this direction. I just do NOT understand taking the ball out of Baker's hands several times during the game. Baker is one of the best players in college football, and arguable the best QB in college football. And you are going to either take him off the field or have him line up as a WR to run some gimmicky plays?? I dunno that made zero sense to me.
You have a Heisman caliber quarterback on at least two short yardage situations....and you essentially remove him from the play. WTF !!

Exactly THIS! Yet I’m waiting for someone to explain why we’re wrong. I certainly don’t read much in print or post to defend the defensive coaching.
The adjustments that were made at half were very simple. These adjustments should have been made after about two or three bites of our ass. DE break to the outside rather than inside and pushing our DBs a little wider was all I saw that changed the direction of this game. Why could this not have been done earlier?

The one that got me was the 3rd and 19 play. If you have 19 yards to go who else would you want taking the snap other than Baker Mayfield? Seriously! I almost crapped my pants.

Bingo. That was maybe the most puzzling decision (read effing stupid) I've seen all year. Who in the world didn't know that they were going to run some type of QB running play when they put Murray in the game in that situation?

Despite Mayfield throwing only 2 picks all year long, we are tied with 5 other teams at #84 in turnover margin. Thank gawd KSU gifted that pas to Jordan Thomas yesterday. Otherwise this D is not helping. Illinois has thrown 13 picks and is still ranked above us at #64 turnover margin. But Lord knows I don't want them to start going for the ball instead of just tackling. And even though Mike coached the DBs for years (his current specialty is apparently OLB), we are #92 against the pass, and that's after playing KSU's crap passing attack.

As for those STUPID Wildcat calls, the absolute worst one was the third and last example of futility - we line up in the Wildcat and call a time out; we roll back out there in the Wildcat yet again, but with the fullback lined up on the other (oh, the trickeration!) with Flowers apparently told to run to the weak side (more trickeration) where he was promptly stuff for a loss. Later in the 4th we're inside the 5 and Mayfield runs it in from the shotgun. Can we just stick with our Heisman candidate? Please?

Speaking of Tulane...I noticed that the Green Wave acquitted themselves quite well against the fighting Charlie Strongs. They lost but 34-28 is no where near the blowout they experienced in Norman.

Reactions: iasooner1
The adjustments that were made at half were very simple. These adjustments should have been made after about two or three bites of our ass. DE break to the outside rather than inside and pushing our DBs a little wider was all I saw that changed the direction of this game. Why could this not have been done earlier?

There QB who can not pass was 12-14 with 144 yards, I can assure you Tech will score more than 13 points this week

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Knowing way Jack In Box coaches...he will shutdown passing game but Stockton will run for 200 plus. Or maybe the back up Tech RB King. Better send the drywall guys to press box next Monday.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT