ADVERTISEMENT

OU will drop to at least 4, probably lower

I dont really care where OU drops or remains at this point but maybe dropping will light a fire under these players. This performance tonight on defense was just downright terrible and embarrassing.

The offense came through but to many darn penalties that killed drives. What has to happen now is this team needs to come together and tell Baker to quit making this about himself with his silly antics on the field and shut his mouth and play while leading by example.

The defense needs to have a come to Jesus meeting and correct their mistakes as they gave up way to many big plays today and maybe even scold MS for his stupid defensive gameplans. Riley should be putting MS on notice that he no longer has Bob to protect him and that he won't tolerate giving up 30-40 points against teams like BU.

Let them drop in the polls maybe in the end its what they need to pull their head out of their rears!

Reactions: OUSOONER67
aa49611eb61fc21bcf2bbda07b9bea09.jpg

Dropping a bit in the polls won't be relevant at the end of the year if OU keeps winning. But seeing what Mike put on the field, it really puts into question what OU's odds are to run through the Big XII schedule and end up in a position to snag a playoff spot.

But hey, sometimes games like this are actually needed to help keep a team motivated. OU beat Ohio State in Columbus, and became the big story in the nation. Something like that can change the mental approach the players have. Maybe they think they are good enough to slack off a bit in practice and preparation. Last night hopefully was a wakeup call to the team that they still need to do the things to win like they did leading up to Ohio State, and it all applies for every single game they play this year.

Dropping a bit in the polls won't be relevant at the end of the year if OU keeps winning. But seeing what Mike put on the field, it really puts into question what OU's odds are to run through the Big XII schedule and end up in a position to snag a playoff spot.

But hey, sometimes games like this are actually needed to help keep a team motivated. OU beat Ohio State in Columbus, and became the big story in the nation. Something like that can change the mental approach the players have. Maybe they think they are good enough to slack off a bit in practice and preparation. Last night hopefully was a wakeup call to the team that they still need to do the things to win like they did leading up to Ohio State, and it all applies for every single game they play this year.

I agree with most of that. Players get the big head and slack off a bit and I think OU's players thought they could roll their helmets onto the field and Baylor would roll over for them. Probably why they trash talked so much before the game, no respect for the opponent. They need to stop writing checks with their mouths that their asses cannot cash, it will end up costing them a game or 2 and that is not only on the players but the Coaches that so far have not had a problem with it. The trash talking seems to be growing and personally I wish it would stop. As for the defense, Mike has gotten too many passes on a letdown after a big win or we have not seen that type of offense in the big 12 or we got the big head etc. No excuses anymore, shore it up or do us a favor and resign as DC.

The offense came through but to many darn penalties that killed drives.

I don't like making excuses and blaming refs, but a couple of those holding calls last night looked pretty lame to me. I guess I just don't understand the rules as much as I thought I did or maybe the camera can't adequately record the action or maybe I can't fricking see as well as my optometrist says I can. :confused:

Oklabama

I agree I think some were tacky calls but in the end players put themselves into that position. Refs miss calls all the time then turn around and call those tacky ones that makes me wonder at times if they are trying to help the other team stay in games.

With the way BU was moving the ball last night I didnt get why Riley didnt keep the foot on the floor and stay aggressive with the play calling in the 4th. Up by 18 with 9 minutes left and the offense went into a shell. That almost cost OU.

Oklabama

I agree I think some were tacky calls but in the end players put themselves into that position. Refs miss calls all the time then turn around and call those tacky ones that makes me wonder at times if they are trying to help the other team stay in games.

With the way BU was moving the ball last night I didnt get why Riley didnt keep the foot on the floor and stay aggressive with the play calling in the 4th. Up by 18 with 9 minutes left and the offense went into a shell. That almost cost OU.

Good points, 59.

Reactions: iasooner1
Oklabama

That was one thing that kind of stood out to me. Against Ohio State, I thought our play calling was the best we'd seen in maybe ten years. Against Baylor, we seemed to lack that randomness, and unpredictability, like we thought we could just out-talent them.

Definitely don't want to ruin a good "Bash Mike" thread, but very few teams can lose four starters off a defense and then remain at a high level.

Jordan Parker, Will Johnson, Will Sunderland, Cobb...all these guys were starters or were expected to contribute to our secondary this year. Brett Romar was out yesterday, combined with Bolton and Jordan Thomas leaving during the game with injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game. No making excuses for injuries causing horrible play. But it is something you have to take into consideration when talking about how a coordinator calls a game. He gets a little handcuffed when he knows he has players that can't do certain things.

Definitely don't want to ruin a good "Bash Mike" thread, but very few teams can lose four starters off a defense and then remain at a high level.

Jordan Parker, Will Johnson, Will Sunderland, Cobb...all these guys were starters or were expected to contribute to our secondary this year. Brett Romar was out yesterday, combined with Bolton and Jordan Thomas leaving during the game with injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game. No making excuses for injuries causing horrible play. But it is something you have to take into consideration when talking about how a coordinator calls a game. He gets a little handcuffed when he knows he has players that can't do certain things.
But what happened to "WE 2 DEEP". Lol :D:D

Oklabama

I think he slowed the game down to eat clock time as he had no faith in the defense to stop Baylor. Pounding Sermun did the trick. He was fresh, bruising and kept the chains moving.

Last edited:

They were scoring at will before injuries. Mike Stoops needs to go... I only hope that Riley has the nads.

Seriously? High school or junior high?

Freer Early College High School
Freer, Texas

It's tiny and in the middle of nowhere, but it just struck me as funny that the dude who got kicked out of college for taking booster kickbacks is now an AD. Just because he's nowhere right now, doesn't mean he's not going to be gunning for bigger positions later.

My bad. Latest information is that he's now an offensive coordinator at Alief Taylor High School in the Houston area.

Freer Early College High School
Freer, TexasFrert

It's tiny and in the middle of nowhere, but it just struck me as funny that the dude who got kicked out of college for taking booster kickbacks is now an AD. Just because he's nowhere right now, doesn't mean he's not going to be gunning for bigger positions later.

I'm sure he will. Gotta start somewhere and he's lucky he got this opportunity. If does a good job and doesn't take a new car deal from the local auto dealership without it being part his compensation at Freer HS, he may move up. :D

I guess he was OC at Alief Taylor before the Freer stint too. I didn't explicitly see why he went to and from Freer, but I see that his wife works in the Astros organization, and they were trying the long distance thing. That probably didn't work out, so he went back to be closer to her. Just putting two and two together.

I guess he was OC at Alief Taylor before the Freer stint too. I didn't explicitly see why he went to and from Freer, but I see that his wife works in the Astros organization, and they were trying the long distance thing. That probably didn't work out, so he went back to be closer to her. Just putting two and two together.

I briefly lived in Alief which is in the Houston area. Freer is in between Houston and San Antonio, no? If he is still working in Freer, he and wifey are continuing to long distance it, not that it matters. Or am I just screwed up again? Lol

Edit: answered my own question. Geez

Last edited:
My bad. Latest information is that he's now an offensive coordinator at Alief Taylor High School in the Houston area.

Got it. Makes more sense that he is a coach. I thought he did a dumb thing and caused OU a real problem but I was a fan when was playing for the Sooners. It wouldn't be a bad thing for him to become a good coach and do the right things going forward. I hope he does.

They were scoring at will before injuries. Mike Stoops needs to go... I only hope that Riley has the nads.
Will Sunderland was gone over the summer. Jordan Parker was injured in the first game where we gave up seven points. Will Johnson was injured in the second game against Ohio State, at a point I believe we'd only given up three points. MATT Romar (my bad, JCon), like the ones listed above, didnt play in this game at all, which 100% obviously led to our inability to get a great pass rush going. Which helped give Smith that extra time to make better throws. Which put more strain on a depleted defensive backfield.

I'm failing to see where they were scoring at will against four people who didn't even play in the game. Bolton and Thomas I give you, but I was just throwing those in as added effect.

OK... MM, because of injuries, Mike gets a FREE pass card.

Sorry, brother, but this isn't Monopoly. He's had FREE pass cards since his return.

OK... MM, because of injuries, Mike gets a FREE pass card.

Sorry, brother, but this isn't Monopoly. He's had FREE pass cards since his return.
I didn't say that. I'm still firmly in the "oust Mike" camp. None of what I said changes that. There have been far too many of these career games for our opponents. I don't think Mike has ever figured out how to consistently stop spread offenses. But I do think there needs to be an understanding of what's currently happening.

That's all I'm saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT