ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Kansas Game Thread

The numbers. Outgained by Kansas. 🤪

FCaI0MqXsAcgflr

I heard that. Its almost as if Riley wants Williams to fail so he can put Rattler back in. He seems to kiss SR ass
Hey Riley has been told for the last 5+ years he's the greatest thing since sliced bread as an OC/QB whisperer. Can you imagine the crushing blow his ego took when the team's own fans were chanting for a qb change and just confirmed what he finally couldn't hide from the public anymore? Williams is simply better and he just has a hard time with that. The media is seeing that and is starting to box him in with questions that he can't squirm out of.

The reporter on the field pressed Riley about William's game saving play of taking the ball from Brooks and getting the first down, after Riley tried to shrug it off as no big deal. The reporter was like "no, I've been covering football a long time and I don't recall EVER seeing a play like that"

The numbers. Outgained by Kansas. 🤪

FCaI0MqXsAcgflr

Our secondary is dreadful OUSooner67. Literally one of the worst in the country.

But we're missing at least two starters right? Washington and Graham? Anybody know if either of those guys are coming back this season?

I just can't believe how easily they scored after we went up 28-17.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Our secondary is dreadful OUSooner67. Literally one of the worst in the country.

But we're missing at least two starters right? Washington and Graham? Anybody know if either of those guys are coming back this season?

I just can't believe how easily they scored after we went up 28-17.

It really is like watching lazy employees at work, they only do something when they have to.
Its also as if the Offense and Defense just stand around waiting for the other one to bail them out.
It really is a conundrum.

However, we are 8-0 for the first time since 2004. 17 years.

So... hate all you want, but we still control our own destiny, and this is not the most talented squad we've ever had either.
Good read.
In my years of following this team I do not recall a season where every game (vs a name brand opponent) was down to the wire and OU was unbeaten through 8 games.
You can bet there will be more gut checks and the question now is, will OU improve ? Based on today’s game, and every game so far, all remaining games will be very challenging.

Good read.
In my years of following this team I do not recall a season where every game (vs a name brand opponent) was down to the wire and OU was unbeaten through 8 games.
You can bet there will be more gut checks and the question now is, will OU improve ? Based on today’s game, and every game so far, all remaining games will be very challenging.

Agree 100%. Watching O-State and I-State, it's clear we'll have to play much better than we did today if we hope to even be competitive against against either one.

Both of those teams are more than good enough to beat us. O-state can beat us with their defense. I-state can beat us with their offense.

Agree 100%. Watching O-State and I-State, it's clear we'll have to play much better than we did today if we hope to even be competitive against against either one.

Both of those teams are more than good enough to beat us. O-state can beat us with their defense. I-state can beat us with their offense.
yup!

Riley has changed his offensive play calling since Grinch came on board. The defense still sucks, so let's go back to, fast pace, score quickly, Riley offense.

Sure the D will get gassed but sucking and getting winded or sucking and not. I say let one side of the ball, get the glory. Open up the playbook and score 50-60 points a game. Go get Okielite or ISU defensive coordinator and play sound Big Boy football. This flying around but being out of position crap, has gotten old. Going 100 mph and being lost, doesn't get you A-B. I know the players love not having true responsibility. But damn!

Riley has changed his offensive play calling since Grinch came on board. The defense still sucks, so let's go back to, fast pace, score quickly, Riley offense.

Sure the D will get gassed but sucking and getting winded or sucking and not. I say let one side of the ball, get the glory. Open up the playbook and score 50-60 points a game. Go get Okielite or ISU defensive coordinator and play sound Big Boy football. This flying around but being out of position crap, has gotten old. Going 100 mph and being lost, doesn't get you A-B. I know the players love not having true responsibility. But damn!

I think Mike left his Defensive Book behind for Grinch to use.
Go out and get a good established SEC Def C.
Gonna need one.

Just want to say, in case it hasn't been said already, that vs. KS we saw the reason why Williams should be starting over Rattler.

From a pure passing standpoint, they (CW and SR) look roughly equal so far. Just in terms of arm talent, accuracy, ball security etc. William's downfield vision might be a little better, and he's seems like a little more of a gunslinger, but let's call passing a push just for agreement's sake.

However, on that 4th and 2 after the KS turnover, where three KS defenders have CW dead to rites in the backfield, and he deeks two, and runs through the arm tackle of the third, well.. that's a play that SR never would have made in a million years.

Williams is the vastly, vastly superior runner vs. Rattler. He's a better runner than Hurts (a little faster, and a little more shifty) or Mayfield I think.

I still respect SR's innate talent, and still believe that if the kid puts in the work, someday he'll make an NFL roster.

But this year with an average O-line and receivers that may be struggling to get separation, we desperately need a QB that can makes big plays with his legs. Williams has got that all over Rattler.

Love my Sooners, but I'm beginning to doubt this team makes it to the Big 12 CCG. Purdy will tear our defense to shreds. By the time the regular season ends, OU may be 3rd or even 4th in the conference.

Love my Sooners, but I'm beginning to doubt this team makes it to the Big 12 CCG. Purdy will tear our defense to shreds. By the time the regular season ends, OU may be 3rd or even 4th in the conference.
Heck Tech might shred this defense to death. I just dont get Grinch’s philosophy. “Hey give them a 8-10 yard cushion and just be sure to keep the play in front of you - oh don’t forget to try and tackle the guy”.

Honest question here, what do you think our record would be if we played the Hogs schedule? Ole Miss, A&M at this point I think would have been sure losses. Auburn would be 50-50 in my opinion.

Heck Tech might shred this defense to death. I just dont get Grinch’s philosophy. “Hey give them a 8-10 yard cushion and just be sure to keep the play in front of you - oh don’t forget to try and tackle the guy”.

Honest question here, what do you think our record would be if we played the Hogs schedule? Ole Miss, A&M at this point I think would have been sure losses. Auburn would be 50-50 in my opinion.
Good post, 59.
My more realistic hope now, based primarily on yesterday's stinker of a game, is that the young players on defense start to come into their own asap, that Woods and Williams return to the receiving corps by next weekend, and that the offensive line can start allowing the running game to dominate as it did late last season. It will be good if Marcus Major can return to the RB rotation as he ran well in 2020.
Once again, OU's offense must carry the defense on its shoulders. Now more than ever.

Penalties, I think this is correct:
1st Half = 9 for 60
2nd Half = 1 for 5

Something happened about 10-15 years ago when Kansas started playing us really chippy and out to start fights.

Not sure what happened that far back but I do remember when Baker was here 2017 I believe his last year at OU. The Kansas Captains refused to shake his hand during the Coin Toss, also after a play Baker grabbed his crotch in front of the Kansas bench, dropped some f bombs and the cameras caught it. Lincoln didn't start him the next game but he went in a few series later.
At least thats how I think that all went down.

Not sure what happened that far back but I do remember when Baker was here 2017 I believe his last year at OU. The Kansas Captains refused to shake his hand during the Coin Toss, also after a play Baker grabbed his crotch in front of the Kansas bench, dropped some f bombs and the cameras caught it. Lincoln didn't start him the next game but he went in a few series later.
Yeah I remember that. I don’t go for that stuff. Riley should have not played him the 1st quarter rather only one series. I think Murray was his backup. Maybe not. But still.

Yeah I remember that. I don’t go for that stuff. Riley should have not played him the 1st quarter rather only one series. I think Murray was his backup. Maybe not. But still.

Not excusing what Baker did that day but
for some reason the Kansas players were extra chippy and mouthy that day. And I also remember them saying something about Kansas players giving some cheap shots on the field too. Something must have happened before the game during the week leading up to it where something was said that riled them up or maybe it was something said before the game I don't know. Either way Baker should have just ignored it all.

Yep, and KM ran off 60 yards on his first play from scrimmage during the "suspension". Also, contrast Mayfield's attitude with that of Rattler in this video. Granted, he knew he didn't lose his starting job.

Not excusing what Baker did that day but
for some reason the Kansas players were extra chippy and mouthy that day. And I also remember them saying something about Kansas players giving some cheap shots on the field too. Something must have happened before the game during the week leading up to it where something was said that riled them up or maybe it was something said before the game I don't know. Either way Baker should have just ignored it all.
40 second mark of the link. One of the worst I’ve ever seen (in terms of how blatant it was) in my 40+ years of watching the game. The jerk had a full 5 yards in which to pull up after the ball was gone:

I think Briles is untouchable (still) and 65. I think SMU will pony up to keep Dykes. I am thinking Jeff Traylor from UTSA gets the job...
Someone on the radio 94.7 was saying the chatter is several big time Tech boosters were willing to pay a significant donation to get Briles. I think winning could trump ethics but I hold your optimism in that Briles is a pig and would deface any program and most AD's know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT