ADVERTISEMENT

OU is ranked #6 in the nation in revenue generated by OU's sports teams

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
I heard this on WWLS this afternoon from Dean Blevins on Al Eshbach's radio show.

texas was #2 and Alabama & Ohio State were in the top 5
okie state was about #37

Here is the shock who was #1

#1 was Texas A&M

Reactions: iasooner1
This is misleading as I don't see any private schools listed that generate serious revenue--most notably Notre Dame but also other cash cows like Stanford, Duke, and BYU.

In the past 15 years OU’s revenue rankings have gone significantly upward. This has given OU the ability improve its facilities that have helped make OU sports more competitive.

The problem is that unless OU athletics receives several huge donations (100 million + ) for OU to see further large scale athletic revenue gains OU will be forced to move out of the Big 12 and most likely to the Big 10 where OU would receive the maximum benefits, including academic benefits from the Big 10’s Academic Alliance.

Gary, ruling the Big 10 West would not be a good enough exchange for owning the Big 12. We'd need to step up our game big time to compete in the Big 10 but I have a feeling that if it's about money, the move is inevitable.

Gary, ruling the Big 10 West would not be a good enough exchange for owning the Big 12. We'd need to step up our game big time to compete in the Big 10 but I have a feeling that if it's about money, the move is inevitable.
My main concern with any move to the Big 10 would be the possible absence of playing games in Texas. I'm afraid it would severely impact OU's ability to recruit in the most talent rich recruiting area OU has built it's blue-blood history on. Sure OU would get more exposure in the northern recruiting areas, but I doubt it would be sufficient to replace those programs already long established in that part of the country. But if OU were to move to the Big 10 and bring a few Texas schools, then I think that's a different story.

There are numerous big time programs that recruit Texas well but never play there or just play one game there. OU, from a coverage standpoint is in the Metroplex MCA. Something like 20% of the student body is from Texas. As long as we are playing Texas in Dallas once a year we will be fine.

With the DFW metro a 3 hour drive away OU will never not stop signing recruits from Texas even if the OU Texas game ended. OU already recruits nationally. Many of OU’s very best teams had plenty of good to great players from Oklahoma.

Just as long as OU has hired the right coaches who can evaluate, recruit and developed players at a high level OU will do just fine no mater were we might move.

I can't ever see Texas letting go of the RRR. The Longhorns have already lost the annual A&M game. If OU isn't on their schedule, they're screwed. It would be a big loss for OU as well so it's unlikely that a move to another conference without Texas tagging along would put an end to the OU-Texas game. I'm not much for going to the Big 10, but playing Nebraska every year again would ease the pain. OU leaving O-State behind is going to be politically difficult unless OU agrees to continue with the annual Bedlam game, which may be tricky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT