ADVERTISEMENT

OU Baseball Midweek Wrap-up ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Tuesday recap - OU 9 Alcorn State 4

The Good:

* The return of RHP Corey Copping is timely. Tuesday's start marked his first since March 15 (W, at Hawaii) after missing the last two and a half weeks due to appendicitis. Picking up his fourth win on the year Copping (4-0) pitched five innings and allowed three runs on five hits.

Just another positive step in the right direction after he returned to the mound for the first time just a week ago, in a relief appearance, versus Dallas Baptist. Copping inherited a bases loaded, no out jam and proceeded to retire five of the six batters he faced, closing his second and final frame with back-to-back strikeouts.

As Copping continues to regain strength and stamina he'll be able to be used in a variety of ways. Something he's already preparing himself for.

"It's exciting. I feel really happy to be back and a part of the team," Copping said. "I can come in and relieve on the weekend. Start in the midweek. Whatever the coaches need me to do."

Prior to surgery Copping posted back-to-back career-outings, striking out seven in wins vs. Hawaii and Arkansas Little-Rock. During his five inning outing Tuesday night he retired the first 11 batters he faced.

* Kolbey Carpenter continued to carryout a personal vengeance of the baseball going 3-for-5 with an RBI, marking his fourth straight multi-hit game tying Anthony Hermelyn for the team lead (19).

We'll have much more in the actual weekend preview talking on Carpenter's ridiculous offensive numbers. Is he the current leader in the clubhouse for the conference's Player of the Year? I think you could make that argument.

The Ugly:

* Four errors. Quinn Wahlbergh booted a routine grounder on the first play of the game. Craig Aikin dropped a fly ball. Chris Shaw made a throwing error trying to pick off a runner swiping second. His throw was unsuccesful rolling into centerfield, allowing 90 more. Tyler Coolbaugh made the fourth error and final error in the ninth, his first career, before the 27th out was recorded.

Though none of the miscues cost Oklahoma the game or really changed any momentum in the game. They are the kind of plays that can change an inning and/or game when made against even a decent opponent. Honestly, this was the most frustrating thing Hughes spoke about when looking back over the two game set. Although I'd imagine there's a better chance of Bob Stoops opening two-a-days to the the public than seeing something like that happens, again.

* Alcorn State starter Jonathan Morales topped out his fastball around 63. I'm dead serious. Hadn't really seen anything like that before. Obvious batting adjustments were made but it certainly was entertaining (?) to watch.

Wednesday recap - OU 8 Alcorn State 0

The Good:

* Much, much cleaner performance than the day before. Adam Choplick threw six-scoreless innings, giving up just five hits, while striking out five and walking just one.

All things considered it was progress. A confidence booster if you will.

Following Wednesday nights victory Pete Hughes was adamanet he'll be needed at some point during the season moving forward. Afterall, according to Hughes, you can never have 'too many' lefties out of the bullpen, especially when one of them is 6-8 like Choplick.

"We've got to have that kid. Get into the Big 12 Tournament ... or just to add depth to the bullpen and have more lefty on lefty match-ups. We've got to get him feeling good, confident and in the zone," Hughes said.

"I don't know if it's just a comfort thing. I don't know if we need to extend his pregame bullpen a little bit and get him a live hitter in there? It's definitely something that is a hump that he'll need to get over. As soon as something good happens for him he settles in so we're going to try and fix that maybe with his pregame routine."

That'll be something interesting to watch moving forward.

The Ugly ... Or let's just say Bad(?):

* You'd probably have to really nit pick to find something 'bad or ugly' from Wednesday night. The top of the order continue to get on base and hit the ball hard. You didn't go out there and kick the ball all over the field. Plus, you were able to get a number of guys at-bats that normally wouldn't have been in the line-up.

* One area of concern- and honestly it's a good situation to have- would be what they end up doing with Hunter Haley, Chris Shaw and Austin O'Brien.

Haley saw a recent power surge come to an end Wednesday night as he went without a hit for the first time in 6 games. Yet he's hitting just .224 on the year, after seeing his average dip all the way to .135 last month.

Shaw delivered an RBI single in the top of the first Tuesday night but is still searching a bit offensively having grounded into a team leading 7 double-plays. O'Brien has shared in the struggles at the plate after All-Freshman honors last season.

How is this a good situation? There are other players swinging bats hot enough to force the issue with Hughes. For instance, Hermelyn has started three of the last four games behind the plate. Robert Tasin has seen some action at first base.

Other items ...

- D1Baseball.com projected Oklahoma as a 2-seed in the College Station Regional in its latest power rankings.

- Sam Houston State heads to Norman for the start of a three game series Friday night through Sunday. Game times ... Fri 6:00p ... Sat 2:00p ... Sun 1:00p

- Tulsa World's Eric Bailey notes tickets for Friday night Bedlam match-up in Tulsa is officially sold out of reserved seating. Here's more info on that, tickets still available for Saturday/Sunday games at the Brick. I suspect they are going to go quick with first place possibly being on the line.

Reactions: Dahlly
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.