ADVERTISEMENT

OU Army game weather

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
Forecast models are showing better than 6” of rain Saturday in Norman. This could put major flooding around stadium and heaven forbid force a cancellation. There are many factors which will aid continuous heavy rain and probably storms as well. If game plays, it will be a soaked mess with a small crowd of diehards willing to get soaked to skin. More updates to follow....

Forecast models are showing better than 6” of rain Saturday in Norman. This could put major flooding around stadium and heaven forbid force a cancellation. There are many factors which will aid continuous heavy rain and probably storms as well. If game plays, it will be a soaked mess with a small crowd of diehards willing to get soaked to skin. More updates to follow....

I will ride it out and be in the stands. Just hope it doesnt get cancelled considering I am making the 6 hour trip to get there.

Reactions: iasooner1
I will ride it out and be in the stands. Just hope it doesnt get cancelled considering I am making the 6 hour trip to get there.

I will post later forecasts as models lock into more specifics. I hope they can play the game, but a bunch will depend on how quickly the heaviest rain area can shift east. Based on past experiences with this type of set up, it takes a lot longer for the faucet to shut off than what forecast models often show. The afternoon model suggests the super heavy rainfall will happen Friday Night into Saturday Morning. This is when embedded storms are more likely.

The forecast seems to be improving. Now showing a 70% chance of rain but it stops about kickoff time.

One thing about weather forecast is that it has been known to be wrong at times. Hopefully this is one of those cases where that 70% turns out to be about 30%

I'm not in OK so my info comes from the national weather service site Now down to a 40% chance of rain. I am flying up for the game and am watching this closely. If it had stayed at 90% it's likely I would have stayed home.

Forecast model updates end the heavier rain by mid afternoon with some lighter rain or drizzle lingering until game time. Any rain chances should end by half time. The game should be green light but field could be soggy. Temps will likely be chilly with game temps in the 58-62 range. More updates to follow...just glad the heaviest rain pushes south and east for the game.

Forecast model updates end the heavier rain by mid afternoon with some lighter rain or drizzle lingering until game time. Any rain chances should end by half time. The game should be green light but field could be soggy. Temps will likely be chilly with game temps in the 58-62 range. More updates to follow...just glad the heaviest rain pushes south and east for the game.
Owen Field has incredible drainage. I know the turf director. I'd tell you guys the secret but then I'd have to put you guys in one of those North Korean style work camps to keep you guys quiet. I'm just not a murderer so that's not an option. :D

The heavier rain and isolated t-storms will move off to east by late morning Sat. Some misty light rain or drizzle could occur early on during game before the high pressure builds in behind the rain shield and cold front. This per the afternoon forecast model.

I bet that is a shop secret so will keep the questions to zero. #zipit
Here's a hint...

19.jpg

Actually, it's not a secret. The field has a very extensive sand slit drainage system and the turf sits on sand and gravel. It's the mainstay of professional natural turf fields. OU is just really good at it.

I do know the turf guy. He knows his grass. The wildest time is watching them seed the fall rye grass for the cold weather and then killing it off in the spring before the tif grass exits dormancy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT