ADVERTISEMENT

OU 74, UNCW 53 final

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
OU (1-1) vs. UNC-Wilmington 7 p.m., ESPN+.

It's like snap out of it, ha. Grant Sherfield did in the second half. Jalen Hill played a complete game and Los Uzan is gonna be a star sooner than later. Some goodies from Moser, including getting a quality answer about my questions on redshirts.

Porter Moser

Jalen Hill woke up?

It’s such a great lesson for the young guys. You talk about the concept of getting past mad, getting past sad. It’s such a big thing in college sports. Get over being mad and sad. He was mad about how he played. You don’t feel great when you play that way. He got past that and went to work. He just focused on what makes him good. He missed a couple of easy ones last game and a tough one to start this game. His mind was in such a great place. We really talked to the young guys about this. His mindset was so good of just coming in. It wasn’t just based off watching shots going in. He started out and his defense was at such a high level. Like the way he was switching, how physical he was on defense. That’s what you do. It was really important for us because he’s a key player for us to play well. It’s also an example to everybody else that if you don’t play well, get past it, let it go and come back the next game.

I ask about asst coach?
I will be having another person. I’m close to being able to make a decision on it. it just makes sense. In the next couple of days, I’ll really be able to expand on that. I am planning on bringing someone in.

I ask about Sherfield newcomer balance?
It’s a balance that point guards have to make. But a newcomer, it’s a little more. You’re thinking about it a little more. I think the more games has under his belt, the better. I thought he had a really good second half. I didn’t think he had a bad first half, just a lot of opportunities didn’t come his way. That balance is normal coming in as an older point guard. I have total confidence in him. He’s doing it well in practice. His mentality is really good about it. That balance is real. The more games you get logged in, you don’t think about that balance. It just naturally happens. Getting teammates involved and looking for your shot as well. His shot comes in the flow of our offense a lot, which is what we want.

Los the 6th man?
“I don’t really dub anybody as like sixth man. Sometimes it naturally happens, like that you dub the player off the bench with the most minutes gets sixth man. But I really don’t dub it. I can just tell you this about ‘Los: Every day his confidence is growing. Every day, he’s got a jet sweep that can get the domino started for us. In a tight game, he stepped up, made free throws, made a big 3, made a nice pass. He made plays, had a nice defensive play.
“I think he, too, looked at his defensive performance against Sam Houston State and was like, ‘I can do better.’ But his confidence is growing every day. He’s earned what he’s getting. He’s getting prime time minutes and we have confidence in him on both ends.”

Joe Bamisile?
“What I’ve seen with Joe is a really good attitude, a really good want to get better, to get up the floor. And I see a bigger — I think he has big room to improve and get on the floor and produce more. Joe’s always been a scorer his whole life. He had some opportunities last game, it didn’t go his way but I didn’t think it affected his defense. I thought Joe played really hard on defense. I thought he did some things, and I think sometimes new guys they press a little bit.
“But what I’ve seen from Joe is a great attitude, I see him working hard every day, watching extra tape on his own. The remedy for Joe is gonna be to see some of these shots fall for him. You’re gonna see that confidence come back and see some shots fall. I think that’s what the doctor’s gonna order for Joe.”

I ask about redshirting anybody? Portal age, can you even do that?
“It’s interesting you ask that question. We’ve been talking about it for about 72 hours. We’ll see. Not ready to make any final decisions yet, but it is that time of year where — It is hard because you redshirt a kid and then he leaves. I've had so much success in my career with sitting out guys and developing them and getting them better. Just a lot of them don't want to do it now. Or some coaches are hesitant, like why? And then they leave. I don't know. I've been going on both sides. And I still think I believe it's really good if you're not going to get your minutes. It's really good. So haven't made the decision yet. Bouncing around the idea. And we'll know shortly if we're going to do it."

Wilmington?
“They’ve played two games. The game against Carolina, they were toe-to-toe. They were right there and the thing that sticks out to me is they had 16 or 17 offensive rebounds against one of the longest teams in the country. The next night they did the same thing. They're averaging 16 and a half offensive rebounds and that's a lot of extra shots. They’re really sound defensively. They're long. They do a lot of really good things. Really sound defensively. We ca’tn have a high number of turnovers and then give them 17 extra possessions. I mean, I don't care what you say. You watch Carolina — with Bacot and Nace. Seven-foot. 6-foot-8. And they still got 17 rebounds. They go after the glass hard. They got a great combination of some really quick guards with some long wings. And so we've got to take care of the ball. I mean, we just can't give as many extra possessions. We dropped the number in turnovers. We got to keep that thing going so it hopefully gets to 10 or below. And then we got to rebound. We’ve got to rebound against Wilmington.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News