ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Whatcha gonna nosh on this weekend?

S
I'm still mulling it over but, I'm having a distinct hankering for some shrimp kabobs.
Perhaps a herb marinade on them with some spicy rice on the side. A slab of garlic/buttered French bread.
Copious amounts of Sam Adams lager to wash her down with.

(damn, I've made myself extremely hungry, got to go to the store)

Strange. I grilled shish kabobs last night, soaked in herb/garlic marinade. The only difference was I added some chicken.

Side dish was corn on the cob and shrubbery (lettuce salad).

I hate it when the outside produce stand opens in Catoosa. My wife loves to pay double prices for produce compared to Reasors.

Now I'm hungry...again. I'm thinking steaks, corn on the cob slathered with butter and chile powder, shrimp with a spicy peanut sauce, and some Shiner Bock...I would smoke up some ABTs too, but they are such a pain to prepare.

ABTs are a bit of a chore, but well worth the effort. I haven't done ribs in a while, so I think put some on for the holiday.

Reactions: stuck in del rio
Sounds about like I cook a beef brisket..........

It's pretty close to smoking a brisket, but butts will generally take longer, sometimes twice as long. I usually foil my briskets for the last hour or so, but not pork shoulder. I don't foil them until I pull them off and let them rest.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm gonna throw a Boston Butt on the Traeger tomorrow and smoke the hell out of it I do believe...

Well I just bought a Boston Butt. I can forget smoking it tonight because of another rain front. I'll let you know how it turns out. The only thing I'm going to do different from the recipes posted, is I'm going to burn it at the end. Must have "Burnt ends" with Head Country BBQ sauce. And no, I'm not going to burn the whole thing.

A silly question for the board.
Do you necessarily use a dry rub or a marinade of some sort on a cut like that, your Boston butt?

Or would that be anti-climatic when it's all said and done?

(I warned you it was silly)

Not silly at all. I would like an answer also.

I don't/can't use a rub due to salt content. I sold Lawry's seasoning salt for years and it's very popular. A few years ago Danny Head (Head Country) put out his version and it's by far and away a superior product. Less salt and more spices.

I threw some brown sugar and a bunch of spices on it & let it marinade for 4-5 hours last night before starting cooking in in the crockpot about midnight. I had about 2 hours pellets to smoke but the butt was falling apart by 3 when I put it on the smoker for a bit. Just getting ready to chow down in a few minutes.

It came out well; the "butt" or shoulder is a relatively cheap cut of meat but when cooked low & slow (either on a smoker or crockpot) 'melts away' most of the fat & sinew, leaving really good "pulled" pork; with or without buns, its a tasty meal. The damn Florida corn was above average too (although nothing can compete with what we can buy on about every street corner here from July - end of Sept, usually)

It came out well; the "butt" or shoulder is a relatively cheap cut of meat but when cooked low & slow (either on a smoker or crockpot) 'melts away' most of the fat & sinew, leaving really good "pulled" pork; with or without buns, its a tasty meal. The damn Florida corn was above average too (although nothing can compete with what we can buy on about every street corner here from July - end of Sept, usually)

BURP!

K, one other thing that you may want to consider that I didn't mention above, when cooking the butt in the crock I always use an inch or two of apple juice for flavor & moisture (although Veritas may want to speak to that when grilling/smoking only)...

That's pretty much always my goal, whether it be pork or beef 'rump' roasts. Cook em low & slow long enough to get 'pull meat': tasty & great sandwiches. One of the Traeger recipes for Ribs calls for about 6 hours @ 225 in a pan with apple juice, then removing the meat for one last hour or so on the grill grates. Tried that last summer and they were fall off the bone, no sauce needed good!

....a food thread with no pics. Maybe the saddest thing I've ever read.

Here you go Dallas..............Damn skimpy on the pickles though..............

buck-up-little-guy.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT