ADVERTISEMENT

OT: War Scenario

I read an article a few years ago (Popular Science, I think) that said the US government runs a complex computer simulation of war every ten years to assess their position versus the world.

There was concern after the last simulation that US was falling back as the leader more rapidly than anticipated.

China was the greatest concern.

In the previous simulation (~2000), a conflict with China was to last around 24 hours and only result in around <5% damage to forces.

In the last simulation (~2010), the risk had already grown to a 30 day conflict with ~20% damage to forces.

My memory is pretty certain on those time frames, but the damage numbers are a bit more hazy to me.

yes fitty, it's a fact. in terms of intelligence quotient, or IQ, which is the most broadly used measure of mental ability. Over the past hundred years or so, raw scores on IQ tests have improved steadily. IQ test scores in the U.S. increased by an average of three points per decade during the 20th century.

yes fitty, it's a fact. in terms of intelligence quotient, or IQ, which is the most broadly used measure of mental ability. Over the past hundred years or so, raw scores on IQ tests have improved steadily. IQ test scores in the U.S. increased by an average of three points per decade during the 20th century.

Well, those statistics prove it. Government statistics always come to the rescue and quiet the skeptics.

Now lets see these intelligent kids gear up for an industrial war effort like the United States did in WWII.

Well, those statistics prove it. Government statistics always come to the rescue and quiet the skeptics.

Now lets see these intelligent kids gear up for an industrial war effort like the United States did in WWII.

Exactly.

Our bright intelligent kids who seek out a quality education are in the minority. We have a whole underclass where the parents just don't give a rip about their kids and don't prepare their children to be productive citizens.

Some of you need to go back and read the newspapers from World War II. During that war, the newspaper was totally committed to the war, as were the people.

This was true once we were IN the war (after Pearl Harbor). But prior to that, the US was a majority pacifist country. Roosevelt had to secretly send aid to Britain and France for years, without congressional or popular support for doing so. If we had not been attacked by the crazy Japanese navy, we would probably not have gotten involved, although Hitler's brazen slaughter of Jews and continuing invasion of one country after another might have brought us in eventually. Hitler made the mistake of thinking the US was a paper tiger (which it was at the beginning); he publicly taunted Roosevelt and the US by ridiculing Roosevelt speeches and underestimating the industrial might of a rapidly expanding country.

I read an article a few years ago (Popular Science, I think) that said the US government runs a complex computer simulation of war every ten years to assess their position versus the world.

There was concern after the last simulation that US was falling back as the leader more rapidly than anticipated.

China was the greatest concern.

In the previous simulation (~2000), a conflict with China was to last around 24 hours and only result in around <5% damage to forces.

In the last simulation (~2010), the risk had already grown to a 30 day conflict with ~20% damage to forces.

My memory is pretty certain on those time frames, but the damage numbers are a bit more hazy to me.

China's overriding goal is to be THE major world power within 20 years. They are close to overtaking us in several areas--by hook or more often by crook--and, thanks to their huge population majority: 320 million US versus 1 billion 300 million China, they will probably succeed. The only way we will be able to defeat them will be with nukes ... and we won't go that route. With our industrial might now outsourced, our middle class rapidly declining, and the gigantic differential in income in this country, I'm afraid we are going to be number two--and threatened--within those 20 years.

China's overriding goal is to be THE major world power within 20 years. They are close to overtaking us in several areas--by hook or more often by crook--and, thanks to their huge population majority: 320 million US versus 1 billion 300 million China, they will probably succeed. The only way we will be able to defeat them will be with nukes ... and we won't go that route. With our industrial might now outsourced, our middle class rapidly declining, and the gigantic differential in income in this country, I'm afraid we are going to be number two--and threatened--within those 20 years.

If we go to war with China and lose, we won't have to worry about that pesky differential between income classes anymore.

Well there you go. We need a great leader that will turn the tide of the Muslim Radicals from the US to the 1 billion, 300 million Chinese.

Reactions: iasooner1
450 MORE US Troops to Iraq immediately! Ow, that's gonna leave a mark...

Speaking of Morons, didn't Eric Holder announce his retirement almost a year ago?

Poltical move only. Nothing will change. I think he's afraid to labled as 'occupiers', but haven't we been occupying Germany for close to 70 years and S Korea for close to 60 years?

Okay, grew up watching Red Dawn, etc. as a kid. Can you see any kind of scenario that another country would launch an air or ground war on our country? North Korea, Russia, etc?

Not sure why I started thinking about this but I just did.

I'm more concerned about an attack on our electrical grid, or an emp strike. If a country takes out our electrical grid, or disables electronics through an EMP strike, our economy will crash, millions of people will die, and we likely will not be able to defend our country from border crossings, or air attack. Either type of strike could effect us for months to years.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT