ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The truly nasty side of recruiting. UConn using Saban like tactics.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Ya it's sleazy, but I don't judge new coaches too harshly for making decisions like this. It's a rock and a hard place. This new coach knows he only has 2-3 seasons to make something happen or he is out of job just like the guy he replaced. Can a new coach really afford to bring kids into his program that he knows won't fit into the system he is wanting to install? His job security is at stack. Coaches are not judged by if they do things right or not or if they are nice guys or not. They are judged by results on the field.

And I guess before you bash Saban for using tactics like this, maybe check out his track record right now and how many national titles he has racked up in his career.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Ya it's sleazy, but I don't judge new coaches too harshly for making decisions like this. It's a rock and a hard place. This new coach knows he only has 2-3 seasons to make something happen or he is out of job just like the guy he replaced. Can a new coach really afford to bring kids into his program that he knows won't fit into the system he is wanting to install? His job security is at stack. Coaches are not judged by if they do things right or not or if they are nice guys or not. They are judged by results on the field.

And I guess before you bash Saban for using tactics like this, maybe check out his track record right now and how many national titles he has racked up in his career.
Recruiting is a two way street.
Players change their minds and sometimes do so at the last minute. OU has turned committed players of other teams frequently....sometimes within hours of signing day.
And OU has lost some commitments the same way.
As for UConn coach Randy Edsell, this latest story comes as little surprise. Edsell walked out on his team after losing to OU in the Fiesta Bowl to go to his "dream job".....,at Maryland.
UConn, unlike OU and its players, gives COACHES second chances.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT