ADVERTISEMENT

OT Mandatory DEI courses to graduate?

1981Sooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2021
This thread will be interesting to watch, but I agree with OP

This thread will be interesting to watch, but I agree with OP
I simply cannot understand forcing "ideals" on people at an institution of learning. I don't need to believe my skin color makes me an inherently bad person, to be good at my career. Pretty sure no one does. Like I said, offer those beliefs for anyone seeking them but forcing them is Hitler level stuff.

The only racists at the University of Oklahoma are the ones advocating or implementing this neo-Marxist bullshit. It will never change until donors quit writing checks that support these pseudo-academic programs and the State Legislature withdraws funding. And where is the Board of Regents? Asleep?

The only racists at the University of Oklahoma are the ones advocating or implementing this neo-Marxist bullshit. It will never change until donors quit writing checks that support these pseudo-academic programs and the State Legislature withdraws funding. And where is the Board of Regents? Asleep?
Hands are mostly tied due to the fear of leftist media going after universities that aren't forcefeeding this stuff to young minds.

I have been hearing ads for season tickets on several radio stations. I can't remember OU having to advertise to sale football season tickets since the Blake era. Could these policies have something to do with them not selling out this year?

We are very tied into OCS and it's amazing how many alums aren't sending their kids to OU because of how far left has become. Their are good friends of mine who hate writing checks to OSU but its either that or send their kids to a school that is way too caught up in the leftist BS these days.

Hands are mostly tied due to the fear of leftist media going after universities that aren't forcefeeding this stuff to young minds.
If this is truly the case, then the leadership of the university needs to be replaced. The second that free thinking is removed from the school, all leadership should immediately be replaced.

I have been hearing ads for season tickets on several radio stations. I can't remember OU having to advertise to sale football season tickets since the Blake era. Could these policies have something to do with them not selling out this year?
Lol probably has more to do with 6-7 season

Reactions: Barrow4
As an academic, I think all DEI courses get painted with a broad political brush which I don't believe is entirely fair. I'm a physicist who teaches physics, engineering and astronomy courses at a school in Oregon I won't name. At our school (a community college) we are require for all state awarded transfer degrees to include at least one DEI course. Many of these here focus on cultural awareness of our indigenous communities in rural Oregon and the rest of the PNW, and do not focus on many of the hot-button political issues like CRT and others that many are quick to complain about.

Does that happen in isolated (some less isolated than others) cases in academia? Yes, but let me pose the question closer to the intent of the requirement, As a scientist, is it likely that I am going to have to team and collaborate with colleagues of different cultural backgrounds and upbringings? Should I at least be aware of those perspectives in addition to my own? I believe in both cases the answer is a resounding yes.

I grew up a poor white kid with cerebral palsy in northeastern Oklahoma so the inclusivity part of anything is important to me because I grew up targeted and mocked for my physical limitations and there were institutional hurdles in place that were intentionally or unintentionally limiting where I was perceived to be able to go or what I could accomplish because of my CP. I believe inclusion and awareness is a great thing for everyone, and should not be the political blowtorch that it is to many (and at least a segment of this board).

Just wanted to provide a perspective from a unique viewpoint in the conversation

Reactions: CasonH
As an academic, I think all DEI courses get painted with a broad political brush which I don't believe is entirely fair. I'm a physicist who teaches physics, engineering and astronomy courses at a school in Oregon I won't name. At our school (a community college) we are require for all state awarded transfer degrees to include at least one DEI course. Many of these here focus on cultural awareness of our indigenous communities in rural Oregon and the rest of the PNW, and do not focus on many of the hot-button political issues like CRT and others that many are quick to complain about.

Does that happen in isolated (some less isolated than others) cases in academia? Yes, but let me pose the question closer to the intent of the requirement, As a scientist, is it likely that I am going to have to team and collaborate with colleagues of different cultural backgrounds and upbringings? Should I at least be aware of those perspectives in addition to my own? I believe in both cases the answer is a resounding yes.

I grew up a poor white kid with cerebral palsy in northeastern Oklahoma so the inclusivity part of anything is important to me because I grew up targeted and mocked for my physical limitations and there were institutional hurdles in place that were intentionally or unintentionally limiting where I was perceived to be able to go or what I could accomplish because of my CP. I believe inclusion and awareness is a great thing for everyone, and should not be the political blowtorch that it is to many (and at least a segment of this board).

Just wanted to provide a perspective from a unique viewpoint in the conversation
I do appreciate your perspective. If the stuff at OU were as you describe it at your institution, no one would object. It isn't. They are going full woke in Norman.

Within the realm of the purely objective — the curriculum at OU is moving farther and farther to the left by the year. I don’t think anyone would dispute that. And whether by coincidence or by correlation, there has also been a massive amount of faculty turnover in the last five years.

That said, I am going to move this thread to the O’Connell’s board. Thanks to OP for slapping the off-topic label on it, though.

Reactions: CasonH
As a Black man who now lives in Cali I am not for having young or older minds go through DEI training because it's a waste of time and money. Growing up in McCurtain County and seeing all the BS that was said by individuals in Idabel, Okla is not surprising to me because in the 70's & 80's this shit was talked about and know one cared to listen. In 2023 if someone has hostility/hate towards you because of stereotyping then NO training is going to resolve that. I AM Damn proud of who I am and what I look like and f**k those who wants to judge me differently!!

I took a handful of useless stupid classes. I didnt like them, i still went, got my A, forgot everything I learned, and moved on with my life. Why how? because i am not a snowflake, and i still wanted to attend OU.

This DEI outrage is overblown. Take a deep breath. Fox says it's bad, and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. Sometimes I think people are just looking for stuff to be outraged about. Don't let DEI outrage bleed into the OU sports programs.

This DEI outrage is overblown. Take a deep breath. Fox says it's bad, and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. Sometimes I think people are just looking for stuff to be outraged about. Don't let DEI outrage bleed into the OU sports programs.
Definitely not overblown. There are many fortune 500 companies out there making decisions for hiring based on immutable traits and not one's abilities. That is a problem. Especially if we teach it in college and below.

Sucks for you dude. Either take the course or go to a new school. I'd rather not transfer just because of a single bu1lsh1t class
You can't escape it regardless. It's not just in a course, it's now rooted into the institutions. It's religion for a large swath of society.

Definitely not overblown. There are many fortune 500 companies out there making decisions for hiring based on immutable traits and not one's abilities. That is a problem. Especially if we teach it in college and below.
Disagree. Without companies being somewhat socially conscious, some folks would not get hired regardless of abilities. People tend to hire people that look like themselves. It's not about hiring non-qualified people. That's a myth.

Disagree. Without companies being somewhat socially conscious, some folks would not get hired regardless of abilities. People tend to hire people that look like themselves. It's not about hiring non-qualified people. That's a myth.
You are full of it, dude. Just say you support this particular brand of racism, and call it good. As for me, I support ZERO brands of racism.

You are full of it, dude. Just say you support this particular brand of racism, and call it good. As for me, I support ZERO brands of racism.
C'mon dude, tell me what you even know about DEI. You do know that DEI encompasses women, the handicapped and other groups. You don't like them either? Were you ever in a class?

C'mon dude, tell me what you even know about DEI. You do know that DEI encompasses women, the handicapped and other groups. You don't like them either? Were you ever in a class?
I know exactly what is happening all over this country. You aren't going to fleece me with the "good intentions" speech.

You can't escape it regardless. It's not just in a course, it's now rooted into the institutions. It's religion for a large swath of society.
Big deal. You take the class, pretend to give a sh85t, then move on with your life. I cant tell you how much i cant remember from those days. in one ear out the other, give me my A, i want the high gpa. I finished school, got a real job and now in my 40s i dont care about the bs classes i was forced to take. Give me my A, thanks, and then i'll forget every stupid thing i heard in that class and move on to the real ones.

Reactions: CrimsonBookman
Nailed it. All these issues are being overblown by media.

Also. Idk if I’d trust a neurosurgeon that says it should be named DIE because he thinks that’s what will happen because of it. Lmao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT