ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lord have mercy. I believe in practice.

Wee Willie T

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2004
I was just reminiscing about how hard I used to practice at stuff when I was a kid. So this story came to mind.

It was back in ‘56. I was 9 years old and ‘the Little Olympics’ was on the horizon. It was a really big deal for the grade school kids and everyone else in my town. We had a blast.

I had no idea what to try out for so I asked my dad what he was good at when he was a kid. He said he used to high jump.

So I decided that’d be it. I went to the high jump pit every day right when the bell rang and stayed till it got dark. We lived directly across from the school and I still remember my mother callin “Willie, Willie get your butt home now”.

She got pretty aggravated cause it was dark, and she’d made supper. I didn’t want to stop practicing even though I couldn’t even see the cane pole we used for a cross bar.

Turned out I not only won; I set a new record at 3’7”. Got my picture in the paper and all. I’m still kinda proud of that even to this day. I guess that’s cause I practiced so hard.

Unfortunately, I never did much of anything else of note athletically other maybe golf now and then. Lord knows I tried though. Used to spend hours in the gym working on my jump shot.

The way I love to practice makes me wish I’d have taken up the sax. Probably wouldn’t have been any good at that either.

Guess what I’m trying to say is if you wanna be good at something, get your ass out there and practice it off. Sorry about this post but there hadn’t been a whole lot to read on here since the @Bedenboss intel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.