ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Let's talk first cars...

Yep, my dream restore was always a 67 Nova SS.
Of course with the passage of time they totally inflated themselves out of my comfort zone.

Seriously, 25K for a non running frame off needing barn find.
It's just nutty how the muscle cars are so in demand now.

My buddy in BA had an SS that had some kind of 454 or such; I never got to take that scary of a ride. His was apparently stolen.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Actually, I liked the challenge of unwild women.

Reminds me of the tune by The Hot Club of Cowtown. "I can't tame wild women (but I can make tame women wild)".

I had a GREAT 66 Chevy van that I sold in 1979. I won't go into all my experiences except to say that back then, Chevys still had a single reservoir master brake cylinder. The access door was on the driver's side floor. For an entire summer, I carried a bottle of brake fluid and refilled the reservoir (while driving) about three times a week, just so I could stop at the next intersection.

There is no question in my mind what a great thing it is that our government sets safety standards. Lots of innocent people died in wrecks back then. Those cars were crap compared to today's cars.

The '80-'83 Dodge Mirada was a cult car to the Fort Sill Comanches. With oil money, a Comanche would pay MSRP for a Mirada at Eddie Cordes Dodge in Lawton. Cordes wouldn't discount the Mirada 1 penney, as he could barely keep one new in stock.

The Comanche would drive the Mirada till the oil ran out or the battery went dead and park it. Around Cache, I saw nearly new Miradas with chickens roosting on them.

Cordes wouldn't sell me an '81 Mirada. He had a Fort Sill officer's Mirada repo he would sell me at a nice price. The interior smelled of marijuana.

The last '83 Mirada saw 62 units sell at Eddie Cordes., many to the Comanches. Sam Nay Dodge in Waco saw 16 '83s go out the door. Car and Driver callled the Mirada "the meanest lookin' sum-bitch on Main Street".

The '80-'83 Dodge Mirada was a cult car to the Fort Sill Comanches. With oil money, a Comanche would pay MSRP for a Mirada at Eddie Cordes Dodge in Lawton. Cordes wouldn't discount the Mirada 1 penney, as he could barely keep one new in stock.

The Comanche would drive the Mirada till the oil ran out or the battery went dead and park it. Around Cache, I saw nearly new Miradas with chickens roosting on them.

Cordes wouldn't sell me an '81 Mirada. He had a Fort Sill officer's Mirada repo he would sell me at a nice price. The interior smelled of marijuana.

The last '83 Mirada saw 62 units sell at Eddie Cordes., many to the Comanches. Sam Nay Dodge in Waco saw 16 '83s go out the door. Car and Driver callled the Mirada "the meanest lookin' sum-bitch on Main Street".

Wow! I forgot about the Mirada! My dad sold Dodge and Chrysler cars in Tulsa and I remember he had a Mirada as a company car. I thought it was a pretty cool car back in the day!

I sold for Eddie on the AMC/Jeep side from 1979 to 1982..... Maybe we crossed paths.

I remember that oil money from the Anadarko Basin rolling in, as well. We had one gentleman come in a pay half down on new cars for 9 different children and grandchildren. To your point of driving them until they ran out of oil or the battery died, we repossessed one of them, and AMC Concord, 6 months later (the grandchild never made a payment) and it had over 100,000 miles on it. I'm not sure they ever killed the engine on that one. haha

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
No one is bud.

You should have seen my Capri the morning I was running a minute late for work in the summer of '76. I quick stopped for a shot of air in the left front and was turning north on to Sheridan work bound and hitting the speed limit in 2nd gear. I had seen the full size chevy coming but didn't realize he was going 65 until smack and I was sliding almost to Casa Bonita, glancing off a lady going south. My poor toy was uni-body and the trunk and gas tank were pretty much the back seat now, the car paid for and "liabilty only"...

The next car was $300 from Dad, a '71 Chrysler 300: 'the lead sled'.

Having a major flashback...

Chevy dealer in Lawton, Phillips Aubrey, right?

I can't dredge up the Ford people at all.

Howard Smith Ford
Weldon Cox Pontiac/GMC
Cecil Lawson Buick/Cadillac
Milo Gordon Chrysler Plymouth Honda
Dan Rudder Volkswagon
Don Delluomo Datsun
Eddie Cordes Dodge
Eddie Cordes AMC/Jeep/Renault
And yes, PA Chevrolet

The Lincoln dealer escapes me

My very first car was a Ford Fairlane. I bought It in 1975 of my Sophomore year in HS. If memory serves me right I think I paid like $500 for it (Lots of mowing money saved ) and it was a 69.

Heck I thought I was so cool after putting mag tires on it. However one day I am driving to school and I am doing about 30MPH on a secondary road and all of a sudden I find myself being tossed around in the car while watching one of my tires roll past me. When my car stopped I had the air conditioner on and didn't think about it being on so I thought my car was about to blow. Talk about someone climbing real quick out the window.

Turned out that a couple of my bolt hubs broke off and caused my tire to completely fall off. For months after that I wouldn't go anywhere without checking my stubs. The good news is that I had volunteered to drive everyone to church before this event happened and it had done it on the interstate we would all not likely be here today. So someone up stairs was certainly looking over me.

Oh I sold it shortly after and bought my brothers 67 Mustang.

Last edited:
Howard Smith Ford
Weldon Cox Pontiac/GMC
Cecil Lawson Buick/Cadillac
Milo Gordon Chrysler Plymouth Honda
Dan Rudder Volkswagon
Don Delluomo Datsun
Eddie Cordes Dodge
Eddie Cordes AMC/Jeep/Renault
And yes, PA Chevrolet

The Lincoln dealer escapes me
Thanks Veritas...hard to believe that small berg supports that many dealers.
It has to be the moneyed officers from Ft. Sill kicking it in I'd imagine.

Turned out that a couple of my bolt hubs broke off and caused my tire to completely fall off.

As I read this, I thought I knew where you were going with this. I thought you were going to say that your Rocket mag wheel spokes busted off at the hubs. That was a common problem with Rocket mags. Which is why I saved big bucks ($44.00 each) for Cragar SS wheels. I thought I was one bad boy.

My very first car was a Ford Fairlane. I bought It in 1975 of my Sophomore year in HS. If memory serves me right I think I paid like $500 for it (Lots of mowing money saved ) and it was a 69.

Heck I thought I was so cool after putting mag tires on it. However one day I am driving to school and I am doing about 30MPH on a secondary road and all of a sudden I find myself being tossed around in the car while watching one of my tires roll past me. When my car stopped I had the air conditioner on and didn't think about it being on so I thought my car was about to blow. Talk about someone climbing real quick out the window.

Turned out that a couple of my bolt hubs broke off and caused my tire to completely fall off. For months after that I wouldn't go anywhere without checking my stubs. The good news is that I had volunteered to drive everyone to church before this event happened and it had done it on the interstate we would all not likely be here today. So someone up stairs was certainly looking over me.

Oh I sold it shortly after and bought my brothers 67 Mustang.
5101173254_e7a57367ec_z.jpg

Y'all are bumming me out with the Fairlane talk...here's why.

Back in 69, Fairlane, Torino, Cobra edition, 428 big block.
Heard there was one (black no less) with four flat tires in someones back yard in Locust Grove.
(time reference, 1980)
Went over there and found the guy that had had it, he'd sold it two days before for a piddly 500 bucks!
Geez Louise, where was the luck?

Last edited:
Mine was a 1966 Fiat 660. Four cylinder with four on the floor, had about 45 horses and could only go about 55 mph. Loved that fun little car.

Iasooner and some guys we ran with managed to put it on the front porch of my parent's house while I was at the prom with my girlfriend (she went to a different high school). We took my Dad's car, so they thought it would be funny to put my car on the porch.

755424266.jpg

Hey K2C,

Post up a Road Runner if you will.

I would do it but, too dumb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What year? I hope it's not a 69. I once raced my 65 against a brand new Road Runner and beat him by two lengths. The guy was furious. He thought he had the fastest car in Tulsa. LOL. I didn't tell him I had a 4 barrel carb on my otherwise 64 1/2 stock Mustang.

Edit: The RR I raced had a stock 383, not the feared 440. Here's a picture of the 69.

699355_20913735_1969_Plymouth_Road%2bRunner.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I read in Forbes, I believe it was...that a lot of the silly high prices going for the 60s and 70s muscle is driven by the swarthy, oil gozillionaires in the middle east.
Matter of fact, they traced a stolen 68.5 Camaro SS CONVERTIBLE, to some prince in the UAE.
He'd paid a quarter mil for it.

Well, since we're off topic on the OP I thought I would throw this out.

About 20 years ago I was in the business (Hobbie) of flipping classic cars. I once purchased a 87 Ford Salleen Mustang for 8500.00 and flipped it one week later for 11,500.00.

One flip that still haunts me today. I bought a cherry lime green, all original 1970 Bronco and the fender wheels were not cut like you see on most of them today. I paid 4500.00 and sold it 6 months later for 7 grand. I laughed all the way to the bank until I pulled up what they are selling for today. Closer to 20 grand.

Well here's a picture of one that was similar. I wish I had it today for a daily driver.

71b462235f8a5da86082a7c5759f584d.jpg

That's like, I empathize with you taking far less than you could have had.
It's in that vein.

Okay, I got it . I'm not used to you speaking in plain English.....;)

Here's a photo that is very close to my last purchase. I bought a 1981 Ford F100 short flair side from Idaho and it cost me 1100.00 to transfer. I have a total of 7100 hundred invested. I very rarely drive it. 35,000 original miles. it's like you said in an earlier post.....It's my Mona Lisa....My eye candy.

BTW, my paint and interior, etc could match this one. It's a copper color................

This guy is asking 23,700 for it. I hope he gets it.........

45481428-700-0.jpg

Last edited:
My first new car was a '67 Plymouth Belvidere from Milo Gordon in Lawton. Billy Cook in Elk City wouldn't let me test drive a '67 Dodge Coronet.

I once dated Lanore Hansen, the daughter of Lawton's Studebaker dealer. She was a beaut. I bought her a root beer at the A&W Root Beer stand on Sheridan. The largest A&W in the world with 250 parking spots? So I was told. I never counted them.

I loved Charlie at Charlie's Drive In on Lee. I don't think he ever knew what color anyone was.

JoAnne at Lawton High wanted to grow up to be a flight attendant. She did.

White brother, Heart That Breaks, was once stood up by LHS's most beautiful, angering the mixes. Heart That Breaks was the only pale I ever knew to swim with the moccasins at Lake Latonka.

My first new car was a '67 Plymouth Belvidere from Milo Gordon in Lawton. Billy Cook in Elk City wouldn't let me test drive a '67 Dodge Coronet.

I once dated Lanore Hansen, the daughter of Lawton's Studebaker dealer. She was a beaut. I bought her a root beer at the A&W Root Beer stand on Sheridan. The largest A&W in the world with 250 parking spots? So I was told. I never counted them.

I loved Charlie at Charlie's Drive In on Lee. I don't think he ever knew what color anyone was.

White brother, Heart That Breaks, was once stood up by LHS's most beautiful, angering the mixes. Heart That Breaks was the only pale I ever knew to swim with the moccasins at Lake Latonka.

38810824001_original.jpg

Sunburnt is right.
Not enough love in the thread for Chrysler, but in this era Mopar was a big player in performance cars.
Cuda, Superbee, Duster et al.

Not to mention the insane Bad boy, the Dodge SRT Hellcat.
707 HP, supercharged.
I might could get into trouble with that myself...still love to zoom zoom.

Last edited:

I don't know why, but after reading your post I thought about this song..............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT