ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Indian Artifacts.......

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I once loved to search the creeks in Locust Grove, Ok for arrow heads. I found several but none like I'm about to post. In fact, I would call this one fake. Most of mine were chipped and all of them were made of flint.

My question, Has anyone ever else had that hobby and where did you find them? They have to be all over the nation.... BTW, I have a bowl made for making maize, with the tool that crushed the corn.

Here's the photo....fake or not?

qXlJdAd.jpg

I have nearly 100 arrow points that I and family found in the Chihuahuan Desert west of Las Cruces, NM in the 60's and 70's. They are all from the Mogollon indians of the 1000 to 1200 AD era. I plan on donating them to NMSU after my Mom passes. Mom would freak if she knew that. But I never have felt ownership of such things. They are mostly chipped or pieces that shattered on impact. Only a few really nice ones.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I have a friend that loves looking for arrowheads. He goes on the Arkansas river around the Ponca City area and finds them all the time.

I have nearly 100 arrow points that I and family found in the Chihuahuan Desert west of Las Cruces, NM in the 60's and 70's. They are all from the Mogollon indians of the 1000 to 1200 AD era. I plan on donating them to NMSU after my Mom passes. Mom would freak if she knew that. But I never have felt ownership of such things. They are mostly chipped or pieces that shattered on impact. Only a few really nice ones.

Any chance you could post a picture? I would love to see them.........

I have a friend that loves looking for arrowheads. He goes on the Arkansas river around the Ponca City area and finds them all the time.

I grew up on the Verdigris River. I never found any, but did find a really good one in my childhood yard.

We do have several standing rocks in the area with some strange writings, along with some dates ranging back to the 1880's. One was along a trail used by early settlers entering Catoosa.

I found some strange writing on a ledge on the Verdigris. It resembled the picture of the Viking runestone at Heavner.......

37188288_f998d945fb_z.jpg

K2C, I wouldn't call the one in your pic fake, but it's certainly not an arrowhead that was made long ago like you would classify the arrowheads you go looking for.

As a kid we use to look for them up in the mountains above Broken Bow Lake. Like you and S22 said, most of the ones I remember finding were all chipped up and pieces missing. I haven't looked for them in years and years. I'm sure they are still up there. But usually when I'm up there I am hunting something else these days. ;)

Reactions: Huntin Hard
K2C, I wouldn't call the one in your pic fake, but it's certainly not an arrowhead that was made long ago like you would classify the arrowheads you go looking for.

As a kid we use to look for them up in the mountains above Broken Bow Lake. Like you and S22 said, most of the ones I remember finding were all chipped up and pieces missing. I haven't looked for them in years and years. I'm sure they are still up there. But usually when I'm up there I am hunting something else these days. ;)

Yeah, I could have worded that better. Maybe machine made? It sure doesn't look old, but it's beautiful.....

Yeah, I could have worded that better. Maybe machine made? It sure doesn't look old, but it's beautiful.....
Ya maybe it could be machine made. But I use to know some guys years ago that were addicted to the "old school" type archery. Longbows, backquivers, wooden arrows, etc. And they loved to make their own arrowheads to hunt with. They did it by hand. They either used flint or black obsidian. I think most preferred black obsidian though think it made much sharper heads. But some of the better ones they made looked as perfect as the one in your pic. Watching them chip out an arrowhead they made it look so dang easy. Lol

Any chance you could post a picture? I would love to see them.........

Turns out I have more than 100. About 180. I have 5 frames like this one. I added the 50 round box of 22's for size reference, and as a signature so you'd know I didn't lift this photo off of Google. See what I mean about a lot of them being chipped? Some are nice though.

ah_zpsz72aoqun.jpg

Turns out I have more than 100. About 180. I have 5 frames like this one. I added the 50 round box of 22's for size reference, and as a signature so you'd know I didn't lift this photo off of Google. See what I mean about a lot of them being chipped? Some are nice though.

ah_zpsz72aoqun.jpg

Some really nice ones. I recognize the flints, but tell me about the black ones and especially the pure white one. What kind of stone? Onyx and quartz?

Last edited:
Some really nice ones. I recognize the flints, but tell me about the black ones and espically the pure white one. What kind of stone? Onyx and quartz?

I'm not an archaeologists, but it is my understanding that every color of the rainbow can be found in the Flint Alabates area of the Texas Panhandle, which was not in the Mogollon region, but could have easily been traded or explored by the Mogollons. A buddy who lives in Norman found the most beautiful shiny black arrowhead I've ever seen in the sands of the South Canadian River backing up to his land. After lots of research and help from OU, the flint of that arrowhead came from the Flint Alabates area too. It may have floated down river (then on it's shaft) in a flood and landed in Norman, so the theory goes.

Me and my family have found hundreds over the years at Lake Keystone. My ex wife found a perfect Dalton point at Sandy beach. The Corp of Engineers at the dam took pictures of it and those pictures are displayed in the office of the project manager. It's best to go to the sandy beach areas of most lakes right after a really good rain, or during heavy winds.

I hate to say this, but i had never heard of the Mogollon Indians. My first thought was are you talking Apache or Navaho? I looked it up. Here's a link. I learn something everyday..............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_culture

Reactions: JConXtsy
You can find a lot of things in the Arkansas river bed also. The area I have found the most stuff is from Keystone dam to the Highway 97 bridge in Sand Springs. My daughter found a complete mastadon tooth, many arrow and spear heads, and also a 1 foot long piece of a mastadon tusk. That river bed is full of stuff and it is constantly being uncovered when water is being released from the dam at a good rate.

You can find a lot of things in the Arkansas river bed also. The area I have found the most stuff is from Keystone dam to the Highway 97 bridge in Sand Springs. My daughter found a complete mastadon tooth, many arrow and spear heads, and also a 1 foot long piece of a mastadon tusk. That river bed is full of stuff and it is constantly being uncovered when water is being released from the dam at a good rate.

Can i have the Mastadon tusk? HA!

Family story: My step dad uncovered a Mastadon skeleton on his family farm in Okeene, Ok. The University of Oklahoma supposedly has it displayed somewhere on campus. I believe it was a fully intact. Maybe at the Oklahoma Natural History Center?

Any one seen it?

I live about a mile from the Guadalupe river in New Braunfels, Texas and have found a few on my place. Seems I've found them when I'm not really looking for them.

I Have found Arrowheads and Bird Points on Land near
Buffalo Valley. Of Course this was Choctaw Territory.

I looked up Buffalo Valley. It's in southeastern Oklahoma. The Choctaws didn't arrive in the area until the 1840's. The flint lock replaced bow and arrows just a few years later and yes the 5 civilized tribes had them. I wonder if you have an arrow head from the Comanches or another tribe that settled that area before the Choctaws?

I tried to look it up with no avail. I'm not sure which tribe lived in the area before the Choctaws?

The Osage lived in my area way before the Cherokees arrived.

I looked up Buffalo Valley. It's in southeastern Oklahoma. The Choctaws didn't arrive in the area until the 1840's. The flint lock replaced bow and arrows just a few years later and yes the 5 civilized tribes had them. I wonder if you have an arrow head from the Comanches or another tribe that settled that area before the Choctaws?

I tried to look it up with no avail. I'm not sure which tribe lived in the area before the Choctaws?

The Osage lived in my area way before the Cherokees arrived.

There were quite a few Caddo's down in the se corner of Okla.... Maybe them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT