ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fellas, let me tell you about Chester and his rocking chair.

Wufee

Sooner starter
Dec 12, 2001
I was sitting around this afternoon, thinking about my family and several of you men. My pups are still in the middle of their piss and poop training, so they’re not allowed in my thinking room, better known as my den. This room has become very special to me.

Anyway, during this quiet time , I decided to tell you about Chester.

22 years ago, Dar and I owned a place on the upper end of Tenkiller Lake. It was nothing extravagant, but it backed up on public land and had a high deck overlooking the woods and we could see a bit of the lake.

Every chance I got, on a Friday after noon, I’d get on my Harley Road King and head to Tenkiller. About halfway between Wagoner and Tahlequah, on the right side of the road, this old farm house sat about 50 yards off the high way.

Every time I road by it, I’d look over and see this old man sitting,on the porch, in his rocking chair. I’d always honk, rack up my straight pipes, and throw a wave at him. He always returned it, with great gusto.

We went thru this same ritual , for almost 2 years, including winter. One fall day, I was making my run to the lake , enjoying an amazing ride.

Btw, as is my want, I had my Road King nicely tricked out. It was lowered a bit, had lots of chrome and neon, custom seat, custom paint, straight pipes, and I did a few things to the motor. It’d run like a striped ass ape,

Anyway, I rode by the old man, making about 80, honked and waved and roared on by.

Like a bolt of lightening, it hit me that I needed to stop and see that old timer. So I slowed the ol hog down , did a u-turn and headed back. I turned into his drive way and idled up to his porch. Before I turned off my ride, I racked up the pipes a few times and the old guy grinned like a shit eating dog.

I dismounted and took off my visored hat. He just sat there and stared at me. I looked back at him and asked, what’s the matter. He suddenly smiled and apologized for staring. He said, it’s just you’re a lot older than I thought you’d be. I thought you’d be some young buck. I laughed and told him that I was 56 and my wife wished that I’d grow up and act my age.

He invited me to come up and sit a while. There was an old metal yard chair sitting by his rocker (it was a little on the rusty side).

Laying by the old man , on an old rug, lay a very old Brittany Spaniel. He saw me looking at his dog. He said, he’s about as old as me, He’ll be 15 yo his birthday, His Names Walter and he probably won’t be here much longer. I squatted down and petted Walter for a bit. He enjoyed it and paid me back, with a little bit of old dog tail wagging.

I stood up and sat down. He said, btw, my names Chester, but my family and friends call me Chet and I’d appreciate it if you’d call me Chet. Then said , since I told you old Walters age, I’ll let you know I’m 82. I said, Well Chet , call me Jim.

He says, Jim I need a refill on my coffee, can I bring you a cup? I said, you sure can.

He comes back out with 2 cups and takes him a sip and is watching me over the rim. I took a sip and thought, that’s the strongest , worst coffee that I ever tasted. He’s watching me , then suddenly starts laughing and says, I know, it ain’t very good so you don’t have to drink it. I said , no sir, I ain’t gonna turn down a free cup of coffee (I ended up drinking about half of it).

As we sat there, I said can I ask you a question? He said , sure can. All you want.

I asked, I’ve been riding by here almost 2 years and have seen you on this porch every time . Don’t you ever get bored sitting here everyday?

Chet leaned back in his rocker and gazed out onto an OKLA meadow, looking like he was seeing something that only he could see.

Finally he leaned forward and looked into my eyes. He said Jim, I’m going to answer your question, but do you have time to let me answer it my way.? I said Chet, take your time, I’m in no hurry.

Again, he gazed out across that meadow and suddenly his eyes took on a blank look. I realized that Chet had left and went someplace that only he could go.

In a bit, he starts, and says, Jim this place is my family home place. I’ve lived here 82 years and before that, my mom and dad lived their lives here.

Back out behind the house is the old barn. There’s 80 acres, all told, that’s all back behind the house and barn. There’s about 60 acres cleared and 20 acres in woods.

Years ago we used to farm that 60 acres. My dad made a living off that ground and doing odd jobs around the country side.

For the last 20 years, we’ve bailed hay off it. Every summer, I worked from sun up to sun down, working on the farm. When I turned 16, I went to work for a mechanic in Tahlequah.

I served a hitch in the Army and went back to work for the same mechanic, when I got out.

My childhood girlfriend and I married. Her name is Mary. She and I have 2 children and they turned out to be really good people.

I lost Mary 7 years ago and there’s not a day goes by that she’s not heavy on my heart. I miss her dearly and look forward to be reunited with her one day.

So I retired when Mary passed and I live off social security and pasture rental.

So Jim, to finally answer your question, no, I’m never bored. I worked 60 hard years and looked forward to the day that I could sit on my porch and observe life and reflect on all the cherished, sweet memories of my life. Just like my dad did so many years ago.

I clearly remember Mary as a young wife. I remember the birth of my first child. I remember the frosty mornings, when I used to hunt squirrels back in the woods

I’ll never forget the day Mary passed, or when mom and dad went on to their reward.

The early spring mornings, when I used to take walks back in the dewy meadow where I could see the rebirth of this old world . The trees coming back to life and the Dog Woods and Red Buds , all blooming out, in all their glory. The pastures, magically starting to wake up from the long winter rest and then there’s all the song birds. It’s magical.

Jim, I can still see the full moon glow over this beautiful home place and can almost see my generations of loved ones , coming and going in all the special places.

So once again Jim , I’m never bored.

I looked Chet in the eye and said, yes, I can see that . Actually Chet, I consider you a wealthy man.

So I left old Chet that wonderful fall day and went on down to my special place.

I stopped and saw Chet a few more times that year and he still made that awful coffee.

I wasn’t back down that way again until the following March. Then I took a chilly ride back to my place. I didn’t see Chet on his porch but rolled in there anyway.

The house was empty and there was a for sale sign on his yard. I got off my ride and went and sat down on the step.

I guessed that he had finished his journey and gone to his new place. I felt sad that his family wasn’t keeping the home place with all the generations of family that have lived and died there. But people have their lives to live.

Finally, I straddled my Harley and I was buckling on my helmet, I thought, well, Chet and Mary are together again. As I went roaring down the road, I also thought, for all I know, maybe Chet and Mary are taking a stroll thru the back pasture and enjoying earths rebirth and the wild spring flowers. Nothing surprises me in this wonderful life anymore.

Later Broheims.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News